LegacyGT.com

Cooling fan stuck on?

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got my car back today. All I can say is that I commend Stamford Subaru, for their service. They even washed my car (of course, some might not want that...)!!! Very courteous, and friendly, at that. The woman that I dealt with, Maureen, is very patient, understands the car, and it's needs. She's a woman that knows what is going on!!!

Now, on to the car. The cooling fans are now back to normal. I haven't driven too much, as yet, but the 25 or so miles home was great. The stutter is kinda sorta still there, but a little less noticeable -- more to come, as I drive more. Gas mileage has improved a little bit, and I am sure it will become better, with the fans not running all the time, in cold temperatures.

OT -- They fixed a serious rattle in the dash...which was annoying the hell out of me, for a very long time. The service dept. where I bought the car, tried to fix it...but could not 'quite' do it. Stamford Subaru...DONE! The also fixed the fuel pressure regulator (which causes a 'WHOOOP' sound, when starting the car, in the morning). New Rotors and pads...all under warranty -- (beware, using bobcats, with stock rotors, that are not resurfaced).

Also, they will be replacing my front struts (which have gone bad -- dunno why) under warranty as well. My car has been through some thick and thin...so I am glad it's all coming back in good shape.

Once they take the car in for the struts, I figure I will hook them up with a nice big tip...for taking care of me. Rye Subaru would NEVER have done so much for me. They never did...and I bought two cars from there. I am glad that my brother recommended Stamford Subaru to me...they are a VERY GOOD dealership, and their service/people are commendable!

I am just glad that all the issues are resolved...and more resolutions are on their way!!! Take care...and I will post a follow-up. Definately PM me, with any questions.

Took my car in today along with a copy of this forum. They looked at me like I was an idiot and shouldn't believe anything I read on the internet. They believed that since they never saw it before, it doesn't happen. Three hours later they told me they called Subaru and now have the module and fan relays on order. I'm shocked. They actually listened. With all the problems I've had with this car, I was ready to trade it on a Civic Si. The local dealer has a new one in stock (hard to find these days). They look like fun although I'm sure they're not not half the car the Legacy GT Limited is.

Are you saying that one should re-surface the rotors BEFORE they install the bobcats?

I beleive so...yes. Especially if you have some miles on the car, before switching over.

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

The silence of the fans is CRAZY!!! I never knew how much it really pi$$ed me off. :lol:

All's good now...I can hear again!

I took my car to the dealer because of the the fan stuck on problem.

This is my 4th trip to the dealer.

1st trip: august 2005 - Dealer told me nothing was wrong. (1 day in the dealer)

2nd trip: Sep. 2005 - ECU and Relay replaced. (more than 10 days in the dealer)

3rd trip: Feb 2006 - Relay replace. (2 days in the dealer)

4th trip: Today - ?

Went by the dealer (Heuberger Motors in Co Springs) and told them about my fan problem. Service manager was aware of the issue. They had recently had their first Legacy in w/ this issue. Lucky for me their learning curve was exhausted on this vehicle.

They ordered a new ECM and 2 relays, which should be in next week and installed in a day.

Good stuff!

I asked my dealer yesterday about recalls, specifically the fan problem. The service writer said he never heard of it. What's wrong with SOA getting the word out?
The word about what? There isn't any recall involving the fans.

Until the fans start slicing people up, there's not going to be a recall...

:icon_twis :icon_twis

EDIT: Haha, got side tracked with the above comment. Here's the reason I came back to this thread...

Dealer said they're aware of the problem but couldn't reproduce it!!!! AHHH! Going back in as soon as I have time.

"couldn't reproduce," what the hell. It's not like it's a challenge to listen to the fan on at all times. Dammit!!

man, this is pretty nutty.

My belief is that the problem lies somewhere else maybe?

If they are replaing ECUs and all.. and the problems still persist after some time... there's simply either some weird issue with the ECU ROM, or I dono what.. but it just doesn't make sense.

Hence the reason why I've had this problem since the car had ~9k on the odo and I still haven't gone to the dealer.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

prob shitty code on the ecu's firmware that under certain conditions it flips the fan on and never lets it go (think of a loop).

Just a hunch.. going to do a ecu reset on mine sometime this week to see if im right...

mine just started doing this a few hundred miles ago and im at 33k miles 32.5 of which have been upp,dp, and ecutek.

add me to the list at 27k miles, stock, sep 04 build date.

came across this thread just now. 2 weeks ago i told the dealer about it and a relay was missing so they added one but it still stuck on. now they wanna open up the fender and check all the wiring. havent one in yt since i have no time for this. im gonna call them tomorow and see if they can call the tech line to order a new ecu and relays already. i doubt they will tho. we'll see.

tell them to call the tech line or you will pick up the car and call the subaru area rep.

Besides, it's beter for them to call before spending time looking for the evil gremlin. ;) Save time so the client is happy.

prob shitty code on the ecu's firmware that under certain conditions it flips the fan on and never lets it go (think of a loop).

Just a hunch.. going to do a ecu reset on mine sometime this week to see if im right...

mine just started doing this a few hundred miles ago and im at 33k miles 32.5 of which have been upp,dp, and ecutek.

I'd say there's a hardware glitch in the ECU. Notice that instead of reflashing the ECU, dealers are replacing it with a new one. Also notice that dealers are replacing relays, too, which suggests the ECU is doing something that burns them out after a year or two. I bet there's been a part number change for the 2005 Legacy GT ECU.

Enjoy that EcuTeK reflash while you can.

']I'd say there's a hardware glitch in the ECU. Notice that instead of reflashing the ECU, dealers are replacing it with a new one. Also notice that dealers are replacing relays, too, which suggests the ECU is doing something that burns them out after a year or two. I bet there's been a part number change for the 2005 Legacy GT ECU.

Enjoy that EcuTeK reflash while you can.

If it's a hardware issue, then why isn't every 05 given a new ECU and relays? He can get the new ECU EcuTeK flashed too when he gets it.

may have been a specific batch of ecus with bad code...?

I don't know, because some people are getting their parts replaced, only to have a repeat of the same some miles down the road later on.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

I thought that was only a problem with a couple of the very early folks. a second replacement then cured the problem. that was about 10 months ago. so maybe ecus since then do not have the problem. I have no idea, just speculating.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

I don't know, because some people are getting their parts replaced, only to have a repeat of the same some miles down the road later on.
I think that early on, before SOA realized the ECU was the root cause, people got just the relay replacements because those were the parts that had failed. Some of them had the problem reappear.

If it's a hardware issue, then why isn't every 05 given a new ECU and relays? He can get the new ECU EcuTeK flashed too when he gets it.
Every 05 that is presented to a dealer with the fans continually on is given a new ECU and relays. Sure, he can buy another EcuTeK reflash.

I have been having this issue for several months now, but was only mildly annoyed by the problem. It has been increasingly more annoying though lately and I decided to have it fixed.

I called my local dealer (Frank's Irvine Subaru) here in So Cal and they were aware of the issue. They said that I had to bring the car in and that it was a 50/50 chance that reprogramming would fix the problem. If not then a new ECU would have to be ordered.

Looks like the dealers are starting to have an awareness of the issue and it may be easier for people to get their car fixed without too much hassle.

I have been having this issue for several months now, but was only mildly annoyed by the problem. It has been increasingly more annoying though lately and I decided to have it fixed.

I called my local dealer (Frank's Irvine Subaru) here in So Cal and they were aware of the issue. They said that I had to bring the car in and that it was a 50/50 chance that reprogramming would fix the problem. If not then a new ECU would have to be ordered.

Looks like the dealers are starting to have an awareness of the issue and it may be easier for people to get their car fixed without too much hassle.

Yeah, my relatively low volume dealer here in the Sunbelt (Birmingham, AL) is even aware of the issue.

I would have dropped the car off today, but the SAAB 9-7x loaner vehicle broke down DOH!!!

Friday it is for me....

Archived