LegacyGT.com

Cooling fan stuck on?

With my revD ECU installed, and still no AP upgrade, I took a long highway trip up north this weekend...500km (300mile) distance, average speed about 115km (70mph), I got 9.0L/100km or 26mpg using Sunoco 94 w up to 10% ethanol added. Pretty impressive!:)

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll add my car to the list that feels that the car is running better with the new ECU. I've got the rev. D (part # 22611AJ17D) and thought my butt dyno was out of whack or something. My ECU was replaced at the end of January and I thought I'd noticed it a month or so ago but now I really notice the feeling of more power and a smoother delivery.

Must be that I'm just not focusing on the rattling sunroof shade and the squeaking center console bezel which were both fixed at my last service. Car feels brand new. Tight, quiet, and quick! ;)

Cheers!

-Ian

nomores4, not to change the subject or anything but where did you get Sunoco 94 octane fuel at?

almost anywhere in southern Ontario:

http://www.sunoco.ca/default.aspx?ID=2390

update: Got my AP back from Cobb yesterday..they didn't charge me for shipping it back (I already spent $US40 getting it to them), and there were no duties/taxes at the border, package marked "Warrranty Repair". Same AP unit (same serial #), just updated w v1.2 firmware. With RevD ECU + v1.2 AP, car still very smooth...way better than before! Cudos to Cobb for turning around my AP within same day as receiving it and not charging me shipping!

... of the FAN ALWAYS ON CLUB!

I've read thru tons of posts in this thread and am wondering if there's any of you in or around Fairfax, VA that has this problem and which dealer you took your car to. I've called 6 dealers now and NONE have heard of this problem. I tell them that i'm calling around cause i dont want my car to be a guinea pig!

Soooo... any Fairfax, VA (or neighboring areas) have this problem and had it fixed??

-Lord

Read the post above yours e.g. don't forget to take your keys with you. I took mine to Stohlman in Tysons Corner. Call and make an appt. with Debbie Stack, she is awesome. I pulled the car up to the service bay the guy came out started the car and said yep no problem we'll order you a new ECU. It was three days total. I never had to leave the car. It was an outpatient type of service. Quick easy painless in and out. Took about 1.5 hours and they were done. They have done quite a few of these. Very knowledgable folks.

~S

Thanks scooby...

Debbie is out of town til June 5. since you have recommended her, I will wait til then to call and schedule an appt! Would she know you by name? If I drop your name while talkin with her, is she gonna give me the presidential treatment ?!? :)

"Hi debbie! Scooby referred me to you... he said you're awesome as well as beautiful!"

heh

-Lord

My dealer wants me to leave the car in to test the relays and ECU. I explained that they have to order it as in the states that's what they do (PR don't have acces to TechLine) <y life is so hectic (rear seat has to child seats) and I have no time to leave the car for something even they read here that don't need to test. They even read about the AP's!!!

C'mon Trebol Motors, get your ass in gear.

I really should take advantage and have my car serviced for this... Im just a little cautious about it... Im catless DP, AP, coilovers, BBK, swaybars, etc... don't exactly want the car black flagged from warranty work...
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

Another one with the fan on , just started at 18k. Might take it in today.

I have a gutted up/down w/ AP . I am a little worried about them getting a CEL w/ no AP ? I have a resistor fix for the up and only a gutted shorty down.

Any ideas or comments ?

Jim

Sounds like the typical cooling fan problem if you ask me. Make sure you unmarry your AP before you send it back in. If you don't then your AP isn't going to be able to reflash the new ECU.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Well, mark down another one for a stuck cooling fan. Had the car parked in front of the house yesterday, and when I went to put it back in the driveway something sounded very strange. Checked under the hood, and sure enough, the driver's side cooling fan was stuck on, and very loud.

John

One more gimp cooling fan here. I picked up my car from the dealership yesterday and they told me the fan turned on and off when they ran the car. They also said they ran diagnostic check which showed no problems.

They treated me like I was some kind of idiot. "Sure your AC wasn't running?" Come on, August will be two years of owning this car and this started last weekend. My friends noticed the car was louder, hell my mother noticed it. They also said there was no sense in fixing something that wasn't broken. They know the fan isn't supposed to be that loud. What's the problem? FIX IT! :mad:

Called SOA yesterday and they gentleman that helped me was very polite and responded quick. He called the dealership to make sure they took all the necessary precautions but told be he couldn't make them do anything. He also suggested that I take it to another dealership. WTF?

This is my second dealership. The one I bought the car from jerked me around for 3 months with accessories that where supposed to be installed in the car when I bought it. Now the second one thinks I'm an idiot. The next dealership isn't all that close to my house and I don't have time to run around without a car.

The LGT went into the dealership this morning. I was fully expecting them to replace a few relays, scratch their heads and tell me it was normal. I was surprised when the SM called and said they had a new ECU on order and it would be in sometime this week.

John

FYI, per Scooby's suggestion, I called Debbie Stack at Stohlman in Tysons. VERY polite...she's hookin me up! I have an appt Monday at 7am to drop it off.

and another FYI for everyone else... Debbie Stack also told me they MIGHT NOT have to ship my ECU back to subaru and install a brand new one...she said they have either a new computer or new software (or both) that lets them straight re-program the ECU right there in the shop.

I'll let you all know more next week when I get MYBLKGF back from the doctors... :(

You are lucky. They had my car for two or three days and they gave me a loaner. I am grateful for the loaner, but it was a Legacy 2.5i wagon and definitely not my GT. I was glad to get my car back.

OCDETAILS BLOG

leave your car running and get out. If you hear the cooling fan on then you may have the problem. I brought mine on when I noticed that everytime the car stopped moving I could hear the fan. At stop lights, in parking lots, when I pulled into my driveway and got out to go get the mail or something... It was always on. I didn't like my car sounding like it was powered by an electric fan.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I just got my wagon back from the dealer and they replaced the ecu and relays. I read over the billing statement and it says cause" modification". I wonder if they know about my gutted up/down and AP and replaced it anyways?. I divorved the AP and look stock except for the resistor fix on the up but with the new ssm3? What did other people get as a reason ?

Jim

Archived