LegacyGT.com

Cooling fan stuck on?

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah... guess I was in a hurry. I might be Russian but I still don't like being in the cold that long :lol:

Did you ever have the relays replaced?

Some of the 05's had incorrect relays installed which damaged the ECU. I'd be surprised if the problem took this long to show up however.

Replace both relays and see what happens. Get them from the dealer so you can be sure they're protected by diodes and not resistors.

If it still happens and the data shows that they're "off" then I'd be thinking the ECU.

• 6 months later...

Did some testing on this today. The driver side fan (Main fan) is the only one that constantly stays on if it's cold or if AC is on during car startup.

Removed relays one by one and still had the driver side fan kick on

Removed Radiator fan relay #2 (gray with dot)

Removed Sub Fan relay (blue)

Removed AC Fan relay (blue)

One I removed the main fan relay (gray square), non of the fans would kick on, even after reinstalling the 3 relays I pulled above.

At this point I'm lost again on what could be causing this, for couple months I just unplugged the main radiator fan... Would like to get it fixed now :).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Sounds like the ECM then.

The factory installed relays had resistors instead of diodes which didn't sufficiently protect the ECM's output transistors from the relay's coil current collapse when they were switched off. This in turn caused the ECM's output to be stuck on.

I don't think it was a recall, but I had mine replaced under warranty way back when... It actually went through two ECUs by the time Subaru issued the TSB.

Since I kind of broke the gray dot relay pulling it out, I took it apart all of the way. I see the resistor still on the RC-5101 with gray dot. You got it backwards, factory had a diode, and resistor is needed, this is as per TSB.

The reason I don't think it's the ECU is: driver side main fan only would constantly run if the certain conditions were met, but once it kicked on it would never turn off. For some reason cold days would force it to always run, but if the car warmed up past 100*F coolant temp, if I would turn off the car and start it back up the fan would not run.

This post says the fans would kick on in even without the car running, my driver side fan kicks on only after the car is started. If I turn on AC, while car is not running, the passenger side fan will run only, starting the car causes the driver side fan to kick on too.

The recall seems to be for relay #2, which seems to be mainly for the AC fan, which works fine in my case.

22 Ascent STOCK

Today was finally above 50*F to test this.... Start the car with AC off, no fans are working, while car is running turn AC on, only passenger side fan kicked on.

Turned car off, turned the key to ACC but didn't start the car. Turned on AC, both fans were are running at low speed, turn AC off and both fans kick off. Clicked AC back on and started the car, both fans are running, driver side at full speed. Turn AC off, passenger fan goes off but driver side is still full speed.

Thus it seems like there is an issue with the high speed circuit for the driver side fan only. For some odd reason, when weather hits below 50*F, the driver side fan runs full speed all of the time, I'm thinking a sticking relay, I've replaced the main fan and secondary fan relay to no avail.

22 Ascent STOCK

• 6 months later...

Just bought an 05 Legacy and didn't notice the fans staying on constantly (hot and humid weather). Confirmed today that the Main fan turns on by moving the key into the ON position and stays on after that. Recall was done in 2007 it looks like but not sure if they replaced the ECM as well.

I called SOA today and was told that they would not cover any recalls on this vehicle. So looks like I'm going to try swapping the Relay and will probably need to get a new ECM.

I forgot to update this thread, I called and scheduled an appointed for "fans always on". They told me that the recall was already performed, thus if they don't believe it's related they will charge me the $80 diagnostic fee.

Over last couple months the I think the issue progressed more and caused the fans to actually stay on all of the time (unlike before where it would stay on always only under 50*F). So it was good that I waited for it to get worse before taking it, because they determined that it is part of the recall and replaced the ECU free of charge.

I talked to the parts guys (they know me by now), and they mentioned that they saw in the notes that in some cases that ECU gets fried again, even after the relay replacement.

Bonus, I was able to give them an extra key (4 instead of 3) to add to the ECU, and they didn't complain.

22 Ascent STOCK

Thanks for the update! I'm planning on stopping by the dealer soon to see if they would be willing to investigate. I don't mind paying 80 bucks if they end up fixing everything as part of the recall.

I talked to the parts guys (they know me by now), and they mentioned that they saw in the notes that in some cases that ECU gets fried again, even after the relay replacement.

I went through 2 ECUs in mine, but I can't remember if the relay was replaced the first time or not. I think it was, but probably not with one with a protection diode in it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm sorry for the thread rezzing, I think my IAM isn't scaling because of this issue ->fried ecu. As there is no knock was there any strange issues like this discovered?

And yes, from the moment the ignition hits "on" position drivers side fan is on high until you turn it back to off

Archived