LegacyGT.com

Cooling fan stuck on?

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got the car back today.

First they replaced relay 82501AG080 and the fan stopped running. The tech line told them to replace the ECU (22611AJ17D) anyway.

So, only 1 relay and ECU were replaced. All is good....for now.

Man , I just read the first page of this thread and then your last post. Do you realize you've been dealing with this for over a year!! Hope they got it for you this time . Luckily I haven't had .........um...... eh I'm not gonna say it :icon_bigg.

I have this problem on my car now too. We had the ECU replaced on our now sold GT wagon, but my sedan is doing it from time to time. On the wagon the fan would never turn off unless car was turned off. On my sedan it will go on different times while driving and never turn off until I shut car off. WOT and AC seem to trigger it. Guess I'll take it in and see if it needs a new ECU.

Heeeeeeeeyyyyyy! I'm part of the club now too. :lol: My dealer actually just discovered this before me! I thought about listening for it or checking it after seeing this thread grow and grow but just never really did it. I didn't notice it with the stereo off either. Evidently it was on though. Could this cause a slight stink at WOT in third and fourth? I started noticing this sometimes on the freeway... the Dealer said the fan could cause air flow problems at highway speed and that could eventually cause problems. Never really had that much of studder problem but it would happen every once in awhile when I wouldn't warm up properly. They just ordered the ECM for overnight and I'll have my car back by tomorrow afternoon.:icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Went to the dealer this morning. When I made the appointment ten days ago, I asked if they experienced the problem. They said no. I asked if they had any ECUs in stock. They said no. I asked if they ever read this forum and they said no. I suggested they might start reading this forum because there's lots of good info here. After an hour, the service writer handed me my keys and said they needed to order an ECU, and they will call when it's in. Thanks...

Here's what they did to correct my problem:

Unit AY-EGI #22611AJ17C (1)

Relay AY 1M #82501AG05A (1M)<--- Not sure what the 1M is all about (1)

Relay AY #82501FE010 (1)

Relay AY #82501AG080 (1)

Some haven't had that last relay replaced the first time so not sure what it is. I know Throttlejockey got it replaced the second time. As for the Unit AY-EGI (ECM is what they called it in their notes above the part list), it's got the C at the end yet I believe Throttlejockey got the D version for his second replacement. So maybe this C will last a bit and then I'm off to D also? :confused: Who knows! :)

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

2nd time's a charm. Took it in again today for the 30,000 mile big one, and 'reminded' them of the fan problem.

Last time I posted in this thread, about two months ago, they said the problem couldn't be duplicated. This time, however, they ordered a new ECU.

Hopefully this will fix it...

Cheers.

Relay AY #82501FE010 (1)

Relay AY #82501AG080 (1)

Some haven't had that last relay replaced the first time so not sure what it is. I know Throttlejockey got it replaced the second time. As for the Unit AY-EGI (ECM is what they called it in their notes above the part list), it's got the C at the end yet I believe Throttlejockey got the D version for his second replacement. So maybe this C will last a bit and then I'm off to D also? :confused: Who knows! :)

Tell them to order the D version ECM. Thats the latest one. All the other earlier models seem to stop working after a while.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Well, everything is already in my car now... :( it all got put in on Tuesday. Soooo... uhhh... yeah... I guess we'll just see. :icon_tong Version D, I'll make a comment on that when I go back in next time for my oil change. It is quieter now without the fan running all the time though.:lol:

Went to the dealer this morning. When I made the appointment ten days ago, I asked if they experienced the problem. They said no. I asked if they had any ECUs in stock. They said no. I asked if they ever read this forum and they said no. I suggested they might start reading this forum because there's lots of good info here. After an hour, the service writer handed me my keys and said they needed to order an ECU, and they will call when it's in. Thanks...

And went back for my replacement ECU today. After an hour the service guy handed me my keys and said the replacement was bad. The old computer is back in the car, and replacement #2 is being ordered.

Well, after over a year of having the cooling fan behave properly after replacing the ECU, it appears to get stuck on again. Unlike the previous time, it does not go on when I start the car, but ifput the A/C on, it turns on, which is expected. However, after turning the A/C off... the fan remains on.

Grr

FWIW, this is how mine started (with the A/C turning the fan on) but it later progressed to the point of coming on when I turned the car on (with or without the A/C being on).

I'm still good with no excess fan noise.

Good luck to y'all!

Cheers!

-Ian

Relay AY #82501FE010 (1)

Relay AY #82501AG080 (1)

What date was that? Here is what they replaced in mine:

fan1.jpg.08f8aedf8993706564978fc99dbe316e.jpg

fan2.jpg.6426ea1bf51b52105739d457c18452b6.jpg

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Tuesday the 18th of April. Why would they replace it with something older??? What can I do about it though? It hasn't replicated yet but I am wondering now about version C vs. D... hmmm... :confused:

EDIT: Saw you had version B on your car when you got D. Did you already have this replacecd once? Would you mind if I brought in that service sheet like so to show them? Blacked it out just to be safe!Thanks OC!

CoolingFan.jpg.976c2767ed3851ba7dfd74253220d63a.jpg

Feel free. I'll send you the full size version of the scan if you want me to. FWIW my car has a build date of 11-04-2004. I don't know if that affects the version. You can give them my VIN if that helps any. I doubt there is much on that form that they wouldn't be able to find out with my VIN anyway. ;)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

My build date is 07/04!!! Man, I didn't realize it was that long ago. I bought it 08/05. I should be able to take it in during the next week or so but I'm just not sure I want to deal with the other stuff again yet. I've got that dreaded misaligned shifter surround/bezel/trim gap that they can't seem to fix right also... uuuugggghhhh... annoying! :(:icon_mad:

Archived