LegacyGT.com

Vent Boost Gauge (Digital Led Bars & numerics)

lossol

Thanks to the current beta testers for the feedback, pictures and comments. I have a few more units going out between this week and next for a second round of beta testers. Specifically I want to get the gauge in hand of more people with AFR via LC-1. I'm also working with a vendor to get a better graphical overlay, you can see in the current version there is some cracking near the LED bar graph. It's slight, but definitely noticeable in some lighting conditions. I got a new sample this week, but still need to work with them on the final overlay.
VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To ask a dumb question, the final overlay is easy to install vs the current?

By the way, I've been to some local meets. Lots of STI/WRX owners love the gauge! Not too many LGT meets around here, but lots of STI's.

To ask a dumb question, the final overlay is easy to install vs the current?

No, the overlay is a thin piece of lexan plastic that covers the gauge. It allows the gauge to have a black face but also allows the LEDs to shine through. The gauge should be removed from the vent if the overlay needs to be replaced. I will provide detailed instruction when the time comes.

I will be ordering new overlays this week once I get the final proof (prob today). I also have been working on some software modifications. A big thanks to BAC5.2 for a ton of feedback resulting in some improvements to the VBG1 software.

// Version 1.01

// - Version screen now displays Beta 1.01

// -Fixed issues with 'BLACK OUT MODE' and starup animaation.

// Starup animation for Leds now disabled (like it should be)

// - Created indipendent buffer for boost profile and peak boost

// Now boost peak can be saved only when it exceeds a specified PSI.

// This gets rid of low boost readings filling up the peak history.

// This change forced AFR profile to record only when boost is recorded.

// - Added on/off boost peak mark capability

// A line now marks the peak of all boost recall plots when enabled.

// - Added a basline to all profiles so it's clear where zero is.

// - Added OLED Screen inversion to the peak boost alarm

// screen now flashes while the alarm is active to alert user visually.

// - Changed peak alarm operation. Alarm now stays active once activated until

// a vac is pulled on the gauge. This means the alarm will latch and release

// when the boost event is over.

// This change was made to fix an issue with barley hitting peak and no

// alarm would sound.

//

// Version 1.00 - Initial version.

Current beta testers:

balrock01 - 05 LGT w/ Innovate LC1 - Testing boost, AFR, fit and function.

ean611 - 08 LGT - Testing boost, fit and function.

BAC5.2 - 09 Outback XT - Testing boost, fit and function

Go~Rilla - 2008 Spec B, running 28lbs of boost - yikes! Testing boost+AFR

Very nice product!

I like that you used the analog output of the LC-1, that means you could use it with any AFR measuring system that provides a linear 0-5VDC signal. I happen to have a 14point7 NAW_7s. What would be nice is the ability to customize that analog input such that someone with an oil pressure sender could monitor the pressure rather than AFR. I think all that would be needed is three functions: Name, 0VDC=some_value, 5VDC=some_value and the user could customize the input to monitor anything that's linear 0-5VDC.

Sorry for the really late suggestion, or if it has been mentioned already.

Edit: Rather than 0VDC=some_value & 5VDC=some_value. A better approach would be a multiplier and offset. This is how the ECU scales some of the linear sensors already built into the car. MAP being one of them. The raw sensor value is read, that value is multiplied by a fixed value to scale it and then an offset is added (a negative offset would need to be accommodated) to put the final value in the range of real units.

I forgot to comment on this - but I love the idea, I'm also toying with pulling data from the OBDII or CAN bus. But that has to take the back burner for now - maybe that will be in the VBG2 ;)

Edited by lossol

What method are you using to update the firmware? I'd love to try out 1.01

Unfortunately the unit must be shipped back to do a firmware update. If any beta testers want an update I will do that for the price of shipping. Lets wait until the new Graphic overlays come in. Thanks for all the feedback beta testers.

I have read through this entire thread at some point... but am a little unclear... how many devices/sensors can it support?

I am looking for:

1. Boost

2. AFR via LC-1

3. oil pressure via external sensor

Is it possible to have all 3 of the above on a single vent gauge each with it's own alarm?

I believe the Vent gauge only does boost and AFR. You'd need an external oil pressure gauge.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The newest graphics overlay should be in by late next week. I may need to re-tune the LED brightness levels so the display looks as good as the beta units now. I think I have the brightness just about right on the beta units.

I have 15 PCB boards on order for the first non-beta run. Hopefully if all goes well I will be selling non-beta units by mid to late August.

Here is the manual the beta testers have seen and the the rest of you havent:

http://www.gtboostgauge.com/VBG1%20-%20Beta%20Manual.pdf

It's still a beta manual ;)

Enjoy

When I drive around lately, I look over that vent thinking, man, it really would be nice to see my boost and AFR over there! lol
My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

lossol, do you think you should start a list of who is seriously interested so you can get some idea of the quantity you will need to produce? That may also help you determine the final price point. I know I will put my money down as soon as I can, this is a great product.
Here's proof: Just 1 minute after buying my OBXT, I had 7 phone calls from insanely hot women, and got 7 dates out of it. Coincidence? I think not.

lossol, do you think you should start a list of who is seriously interested so you can get some idea of the quantity you will need to produce? That may also help you determine the final price point. I know I will put my money down as soon as I can, this is a great product.

:whore:

I'll send over a deposit for the first run.