LegacyGT.com

ERZ Catted DP

istealfrombums

To check a DP...

Make sure the bellmouth flange is smooth and the bellmouth has no cracks. Check the rear flange. Check the pipe for dents or cracks. Look down the pipe through the bellmouth and make sure the 3" pipe did not get tweaked/bent/crushed when inserted into the bellmouth and welded. Make sure you received the O2 plug, hardware and gasket.

If everything looks good. Go for it.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To check a DP...

Make sure the bellmouth flange is smooth and the bellmouth has no cracks. Check the rear flange. Check the pipe for dents or cracks. Look down the pipe through the bellmouth and make sure the 3" pipe did not bet tweaked/bent/crushed when inserted into the bellmouth and welded. Make sure you received the O2 plug, hardware and gasket.

If everything looks good. Go for it.

And I might add, my ERZ DP looked damn good right out of the box...flanges were smooth and welds were higher quality than I expected (my last car had a set of $900 headers that had far worse welds)

On the search for a new DD...

I purchased a 3" to 2.5" adapter as an afterthought from JSC Speed. I originally thought that my HKS Silent Hi-Power CBE was 3", but checked the math and found it is actually 2.5". Other than the adapter, are there any other items that I will need to have the DP installed?

Sidenote, I'm a little concerned about the noise, can anyone point me towards a thread that discusses quieting the exhaust a bit? Thanks

Gene

Pipe looks great.

You should just need the adapter. ERZ can include it with the DP, they sell a very nice SS one. I just used it with the 2002 WRX DP I installed on my dads car. Was just as nice as the LGT pipe. Came with all the needed gaskets and extra hardware.

Looks like they stopped including the turbo to DP gasket. Might want to grab an OEM one for GP.

If you want to keep the car stealth and quiet just use the OEM catback or OEM cans. You can barely tell a DP is installed using the OEM CBE.

I'm working with a manufacturer on making those turbo gasket . But they want too much , I want us to order 1000 piece at one time for metal type or OEM style gaskets. I don't want to raise price on our downpipe.

the one we include before was not all that great and after a few complaints they were not OEM metal one we just stop including them.

hope you guys understand.

Ok cool, I'll get the Turbo to DP gasket from the dealer.

As for the sound, well I love the sound of my HKS Silent Power CBE, but I had to do some sound deadening modifications in the trunk and behind the rear seats to make it live able for long drives. Now with the DP goin in I am worried that the 1 fewer cat in the system and larger piping will make it drone all over again. I wont get rid of the cbe, as my company bought it for me as a marketing piece, but the fiancée' will kill me if it gets any louder than it currently is, lol!

As for the sound, well I love the sound of my HKS Silent Power CBE, but I had to do some sound deadening modifications in the trunk and behind the rear seats to make it live able for long drives. Now with the DP goin in I am worried that the 1 fewer cat in the system and larger piping will make it drone all over again. I wont get rid of the cbe, as my company bought it for me as a marketing piece, but the fiancée' will kill me if it gets any louder than it currently is, lol!

It's going to be significantly louder, sry bud. :redface: The SPT CBE is well known to be one of the quietest and most mellow systems, see for yourself how an aftermarket catted DP transformed it:

CBE:[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_bRkas1xSU]YouTube- Legacy GT w/ SPT cat-back[/ame]

CBE + Cobb catted DP:[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wbUQ1eeGf8]YouTube- Legacy GT Stage 2 (turbo-back exhaust)[/ame]

I think it's pretty safe to say your exhaust will be at least as loud if not louder than my stg 2 setup.

Hm make sure you PM me and let me know the deal on those coilovers ERZ, my tax return came today so I should get the check in about 3 weeks and I'm ready to buy :)

I''ll have a set here in around 10 day I'll post pictures.

Most coilovers are made in Taiwan now,

Megan, D2, Ksport, skunk2 all made in Taiwan.

the factory told me they are selling to many Coilovers company in the USA just branded under another name.

CaptainHook, thanks for posting this.

I have to say I am surprised at the difference after DP install, quite raspy.

I was considering an SPT exhaust but will reconsider and perhaps keep the stock mufflers.

CaptainHook, thanks for posting this.

I have to say I am surprised at the difference after DP install, quite raspy.

I was considering an SPT exhaust but will reconsider and perhaps keep the stock mufflers.

No problem.

Finally got mine installed, time for a tune! ERZ DP + x02 catback sounds gorgeous. Not even that loud!

Sorry. Home late from tuning the 68HTA.

Shot you a PM with my number. Call me and we can meet up tomorrow for a base stage 2 tune to get you by until you hook up with Infamous1.

It's going to be significantly louder, sry bud. :redface: The SPT CBE is well known to be one of the quietest and most mellow systems, see for yourself how an aftermarket catted DP transformed it:

CBE:

CBE + Cobb catted DP:

I think it's pretty safe to say your exhaust will be at least as loud if not louder than my stg 2 setup.

Did you have yours tuned after adding the DP?

Am I right to think that a lot of the Youtube clips of exhausts for the LGTs need some wicked tuning done to them?

I had my ERZ 5 & 6 M/T catted downpipe installed yesterday. The installer said that the ERZ DP was a beautiful piece, it bolted up perfectly without issue. He did mention that he thought the DP was a little close to the CV joint, and noted that he was not able to re install the factory heat shield due to the differences in size of the ERZ vs OEM. He also noted that the oem system was also close to that component, but appeared to have a little more shielding. Is there something that I should do to the DP to insulate it from that component?

As for the driving characteristics of the car, well all I can say is WOW! I re-flashed it with a Cobb Stage II 93 ots map, and off I went. The car appears to be much smoother throughout the rev range, and working a lot less to achieve the same results. There is significantly more torque in the meat of the range, its very very fun to drive now. I've read a lot on here about other tuning options that can be used with the AP, hopefully sometime in the next couple months I will get a better tune from one of the forum's recommended tuners in my area and really reap the benefits of having this DP in my vehicle.

Lastly from my earlier posts in this thread you could see that I was concerned about increases in the noise from the DP install. I'm happy to report that the changes in sound were minimal. The ERZ Catted DP + HKS "Silent" High Power is a successful one. Around town the change in sound inside the cabin is very difficult to notice, on the highway cruising at 75 the sound is deeper, but not harsher, and ever so slightly louder. As I mentioned before there is an entire bulk pack of Dynamat in the trunk and behind the rear seats, I think that the minimal change in sound is mostly due to my audio shop's skill in its application. So if folks would like to quiet their exhaust that is a relatively cost effective way to go about it.

Excellent job ERZ, the praise is definitely warranted as they have built a high quality product for a great price!

he thought the DP was a little close to the CV joint, and noted that he was not able to re install the factory heat shield due to the differences in size of the ERZ vs OEM. He also noted that the oem system was also close to that component,

Your installer didn't cut the bottom off the heat shield and put it back on like almost everyone else does for any brand DP install? The bottom of the heat shield where it bolts to the oem DP is super annoying anyway and not needed! It can easily be done with tin-snips (even easier with a cutoff wheel). Let me know if you need some pics of the ERZ installed with a nice OEM looking heat-shield install post trim. (Do not be afraid of trimming the shield, it is a part you never will see and wouldn't miss if you went back to stock).

Archived