LegacyGT.com

ERZ Catted DP

istealfrombums

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so would i still be able to pass cali's strict smog regulations if i go catless up with this catted dp and a tune from infamous? and stock exhaust

You would pass the sniffer test but not the visual test. It also helps to get friendly with some smog places.

Each place varies, I know for a fact that the smog place I go to does not even attempt to look under the car and has suggested that he will let any car pass for me :).

You would not legally pass a smog, you are missing two cats and the hi-flow cat in the DP in also not legal in CA (so technically you are missing 3). It is a 48 state legal hi-flow cat. CA outlawed them in 2009.

If you get pulled over (usually by CHP) and they ask to look under the hood you are F'd. It is currently a $2500 fine plus immediate tow and impound for a smog modified car on the street. Once you pay the $2500, impound and tow fee you get to tow your car home, put it back to stock and go to the smog judge to be retested.

I can't tell you to break the law, and I can't tell you where to find a smog shop that will. But, I passed smog with a stage 2.5 (Infamous tuned) 5EAT. Took a LOT of BS on my part to get the knucklehead smog tech to sign off on the missing cats (the sniffer was clean as a whistle).

Pass smog however you have to. Just be aware of the penalty for getting to "play".

maybe ill just gut my stock dp and swap out the uppipe and call it quits. the place i smogged at two weeks ago didnt really check for the cats.

If you are SCARED then definately do that. Being scared to drive your car would be crappy imo.

I have driven a Eclipse GST modded and was stopped for a sniffer inspection on the side of the road but I do not recall them looking under the car.

I got pulled over in the same car and a chp told me "I bet you don't even have a cat under the car. I can shove a wire up the exhaust and see" to which I replied "I have no idea what you are talking about but if you shove ANYTHING up my exhaust I am holding you liable for damages"

I got pulled over in my raced out Honda and the cop said "you cant modify your exhaust to make it louder" I replied "I did not mod it to make it louder, I modded it to make it faster and I have carb stickers for it all (which I did NOT) "huh?"

That was all years ago though but recently, admittedly, embarassingly, I got pulled over 100mph. (After license/ins/reg.) "Don't you think you were going a little fast?" "Was I?" "Slow it down for me?" "Yes sir, I will sir." (I was in middle of nowhere) "How fast were you going?" "I'm not sure sir?? I won't do it again sir, I am very sorry, may I go?" "Hell no, but I will write you up for 85 instead of 100+." "Thank you sir".

It is a stock appearance legacy. Whats to look at? If you are not at the streetraces, driving an STI, adding a carbon fiber wing or the like, I hardly see what the big deal is. I also feel confident that as long as I was not stopped at a random inspection (which I would AVOID like a drunk driver avoids drunk checks AND has only happened to me ONCE in 18 years of driving in Cali) I would be able to show my smog cert and talk my way around it.

At my work I have everything that I would need TIG welder,lift, my tools. I just thought that if someone made that pipe section it would be easier to slap it on and weld it up (stainless steel is a pain to work with)

M sprank thats what I was plaining to do, lop off the necked down end of the midpipe weld in the new flang and pipe,

At my work I have everything that I would need TIG welder,lift, my tools. I just thought that if someone made that pipe section it would be easier to slap it on and weld it up (stainless steel is a pain to work with)

M sprank thats what I was planing to do, lop off the necked down end of the midpipe weld in the new flange and pipe,

Yeah, if you have everything, thats your best bet.

Stainless is a little different. Not as hard as aluminum, though. If you have a spare piece (or can get one) do a few tests first to get the feel and get your rig set right.

No one makes the extended piece and the standard ones don't give you enough "pipe" to weld onto.

Good thing he wrote you up for 85mph. My fine for "speed in excess of 100mph" WAS $1350 and a suspended license for 30 days.

Shamar got busted for an aftermarket BOV. No lies.

Yeah I don't want to talk about my for speed in excess of 100mph ticket. Fortunately it was before I was even dating my fiancee and for f---sake don't tell her!

As far as the BOV... I am going to have to ask him about that when he tunes me - It is hard to process.

It is after the MAF and before the Cats, so its smog related, lol. Just paint it black if you have a shiny one, thats what lots of folks here do. I run a GFB on the SpecB. Its black. The 5EAT has a shiny AVO, and I am thinking I should paint it.

Ordered my ERZ Catted Bp with 2.5" adapter. Bought my M2 uppipe after msprank and LosAngelesLgt unknowingly convinced me :)

Excited, yes, nervous... yes.

Why nervous. I am just a tight wad with money (cause I don't have tons to throw around) and I want to make sure they all go on without a hitch.

Archived