LegacyGT.com

ERZ Catted DP

istealfrombums

I got my catted ERZ Dp. Thank you m sprank for being a test mouse and losangelesLGT for telling me to man up (Not in those words). It looks awesome. As they say, it is super nice. everything is quality. I also bought the 2.5" adapter. Another nice piece. All in all best bang for your buck!

Ohh... and ERZ vendor is great to work with.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Thread! I'm waiting to hear back from ERZ, but from everyone's posts here it sounds like this DP is a no brainer!

Up pipe opinions wanted. . . If the car is going to be apart for the DP install should I also purchase a new up pipe and do that as well? It is my understanding that my car(08 LGT 5MT) has a catless up pipe from the factory, but I am not sure what the best route to go is? Then there is the flex/no flex up pipe discussion to contend with. Any input would be appreciated. Have a good weekend!

I have two questions:

1. I have an 05 GT and there was a post that said only the 05 & 06 needed an up pipe. Why and which should I get?

2. I am moving to California and apparently I won't pass inspection if my exhaust is too loud. If I get stopped and they see that I have an aftermarket DP and exhaust, I could get impounded !:eek:! I really want a catback for power issues but I need a quiet one. Does anyone know which catback is the softest? also, I have a wagon so I know already that there are few options but I have to make this work!!! I need help!

I NEED MORE POWER!!!!!

Any and all responses would be appreciated!

Scooby-G

I have two questions:

1. I have an 05 GT and there was a post that said only the 05 & 06 needed an up pipe. Why and which should I get?

2. I am moving to California and apparently I won't pass inspection if my exhaust is too loud. If I get stopped and they see that I have an aftermarket DP and exhaust, I could get impounded !:eek:! I really want a catback for power issues but I need a quiet one. Does anyone know which catback is the softest? also, I have a wagon so I know already that there are few options but I have to make this work!!! I need help!

I NEED MORE POWER!!!!!

Any and all responses would be appreciated!

Scooby-G

Even with a basic stg2 setup, the catback is mostly for sound. Little if any power gains. You can install the DP with an adapter to the OEM exhaust and still be just as quiet as stock. And 05-06 need a catless UP because the factory cat can grenade and send metal pieces into the turbo. Options are to gut the OEM, get an STi UP, find an 07+ LGT UP, or one of the many aftermarket pipes.

Answer to #2 is wait to do the mods until after you get to CA and pass the inspection just to use the car here. Then you will still have to deal with the BS again, but not for a few years. Just don't be a douche-bag. No street racing, etc. Don't give a cop with a sniffer any reason to look under the hood and you are good. There are plenty of kids with Hondas and STi's (WAAAAAY to loud) that will get all the attention for you.

I am thinking of sticking with the stock cat back. I want to make sure I don't give an officer any reason to think it's anything other than stock. As msprank said. Get to California, get the inspection done and then begin to mod.

If you want loud... just get straight pipes. JK :)

^ may make it easier to smog in Cali but to be totally honest, I expect to bribe my local smog shop either way. I have a FMIC.

I'm glad everyone was impressed with there ERZ DP. Sadly however I was not, I only ordered because I heard such great reviews.

I had an auto shop in my area put it on, because I couldn't. First they had to use a belt sander to smooth out the uneven surface, there was honestly a gash of about 1/8 an inch. Than once they attempted to mount it it ended up being at way to high of an angle comming out of the turbo and was litterally pushing up on the hint sink.

They ended up feeling really bad for me and re welded and smoothed down parts just to make it fit.

I'm sorry ERZ but what happened?

I'm glad everyone was impressed with there ERZ DP. Sadly however I was not, I only ordered because I heard such great reviews.

I had an auto shop in my area put it on, because I couldn't. First they had to use a belt sander to smooth out the uneven surface, there was honestly a gash of about 1/8 an inch. Than once they attempted to mount it it ended up being at way to high of an angle comming out of the turbo and was litterally pushing up on the hint sink.

They ended up feeling really bad for me and re welded and smoothed down parts just to make it fit.

I'm sorry ERZ but what happened?

NateJD why post stuff like this without pics? Gash of 1/8 inch? Did you never open the box and look at it? Are you trying to install a MT on an AT?

You probably should have sent the DP back to ERZ because they have better than oem fitment, amazing finish and are wonderful. I know. I have one and have seen them on several other cars. They are popular on the forum as well and well liked. My OEM catback lined up with my ERZ dp so well that I could just bolt it back up with my hands. No wrestling with pipes.

Obviously something happened to yours and it was damaged either in bad installation, in the mfr process or in shipping. It is tragic that you did not contact ERZ to get your car together with a proper install. A installed proper ERZ DP is still worth $300 used.

I doubt anyone will want your hacked possibly poorly installed DP. I sincerely hope you have zero issues with your car and the rest of your mods go more painlessly.

Ya sorry no pics. It was the last of like 10 parts I had ordered and I sadly didn't take the time to inspect it fully. Interesting enough the shop i took it too just made a contract deal. With ERZ because they liked the quality of there pipes. The owner told me that mine looked like it just missed the finishing quality control inspection.

As far as the rest of the mods, im honestly very frustrated right now it seems to be one thing after another. Every day there is a new issue of something not fitting or in bad condition.

Me and the shop owner were both shocked with the quality, I honestly couldn't believe it. I mean I have heard nothing but the best and so had they. I guess I was just unlucky.

If the shop owner is an ERZ dealer why did they not return the pipe for another one?

ERZ has great customer service. If something was wrong they would take care of it.

Sounds awfully suspicious, this "authorized ERZ dealer" hacking and modifying a brand new pipe. If it came out of the box or of the shipping truck damaged you get a replacement, not a hack job.

Somebody call the Sheriff. You got robbed.

Sorry for the threadjack but I am going to try to save a fellow forum member from themself.

Ya sorry no pics. It was the last of like 10 parts I had ordered and I sadly didn't take the time to inspect it fully.

:eek:

Interesting enough the shop i took it too just made a contract deal. With ERZ because they liked the quality of there pipes. The owner told me that mine looked like it just missed the finishing quality control inspection.

And then they promptly put a bad quality part on your and you let them? Wow that is complete bull. I hate to tell you but either your ERZ DP is probably on someone elses car.

As far as the rest of the mods, im honestly very frustrated right now it seems to be one thing after another. Every day there is a new issue of something not fitting or in bad condition.

Like I said previously - BAD INSTALL. I knew it was a bad install from the start. Any chance of getting some pics and the name of this shop before someone else gets "install issues and bad parts"

Me and the shop owner were both shocked with the quality, I honestly couldn't believe it. I mean I have heard nothing but the best and so had they. I guess I was just unlucky.

Yeah, I'll just bet he was shocked. So shocked he put it on your car! How long have they had your car bro? Did you give them all the money up front? From what it sounds like to me, the only lucky one is the owner of the shop you went to.

You need to start your own thread about the problems you are having!!!

Somebody call the Sheriff. You got robbed.

^ x2

Seriously, holy crap man - I don't want to see you paying twice as much just to fix your car properly later somewhere else.

Dont you worry about the shop, they are not like that. Probably the #1 Subaru shop in Seattle. The guys that work there are very knowledgeable. They made the pipe work, i think the major underlying issue was the "defect" (and im using that word loosely). At the bottom of the pipe, where there was a gash/uneven surface. Once they smoothed it down, it made it no longer line up with the Turbo. (This is speculation, i still have to go down there and find out for sure, and ill keep you all updated). But once that didnt line up with the turbo, trying to force it in caused it to push against the heat sink.

As far as the shop, they are in "the process" of getting with ERZ. So it hasn't officially happened.

I most definitely don't wanna freak any one out, i just want any one to be aware. I have heard nothing but great things as far as customer service. If I had taken more time to look at the DP I would have suggested a return, unfortunately I just was not 100% what to look for.

The shop should have contacted you immediately upon realizing the pipe was damaged/did not fit. At that point you should have instructed them to stop, gone down to inspect and contacted ERZ.

I still don't understand this mindset of modifying a brand new pipe to force it to fit before even giving the manufacturer a call. Its not like you bought it on eBay.

Oh Man, I'm sorry to hear that you've had troubles. I've got one of their DP's inbound and was hoping that you guys could provide me with some things to look for upon the DPs arrival to ensure that no damage has occurred in shipping? I tend to not have the best luck with part installs(such is the nature of modding I guess LOL), butI really want this one to go smooth. I know that more than likely the OP's issue was due to the installer rather than the part, but any insight you have would be greatly appreciated.

Dont you worry about the shop, they are not like that. Probably the #1 Subaru shop in Seattle. The guys that work there are very knowledgeable.

They made the pipe work, i think the major underlying issue was the "defect" (and im using that word loosely). At the bottom of the pipe, where there was a gash/uneven surface. Once they smoothed it down, it made it no longer line up with the Turbo. (This is speculation, i still have to go down there and find out for sure, and ill keep you all updated). But once that didnt line up with the turbo, trying to force it in caused it to push against the heat sink.

Those sound like contradictory statements.

Yeah, my dad used to take his car to the #1 RX-7 and rotary shop in Raleigh, NC. It ended up costing him $10k in 2 years, with nothing to show but a downpipe, flywheel, and a blown motor. Don't defend a shop that just ruined a quality part unless you personally are a part of this business. I have a hard time believing a "very knowledgeable" shop would destroy the resale of the part you just bought and "make it work" unless you specifically requested a custom fit at an exhaust shop. Very knowledgeable seems to be a relative term. No offense to you personally, but it's very easy for someone to come across as very knowledgeable when they perform the work you can't. I'm only saying this because I have major trust issues with shops.

[/RANT]

On the search for a new DD...

...I've got one of their DP's inbound and was hoping that you guys could provide me with some things to look for upon the DPs arrival to ensure that no damage has occurred in shipping? I tend to not have the best luck with part installs(such is the nature of modding I guess LOL), butI really want this one to go smooth.

Bov, you already did the BEST thing to have the BEST luck with your install - you did your research and bought an ERZ DP because they are as nice as a COBB for fitment and finish for 50% of the price. The ERZ DP fits BETTER than OEM (lines up perfectly with everything and leaves MORE firewall clearance). If your DP looks like it have been bent in shipping (not) or is damaged (unlikely, it is not made of GLASS) ERZ will make sure you are 100% taken care of. Fear not my friend.

Dont you worry about the shop, they are not like that. Probably the #1 Subaru shop in Seattle. The guys that work there are very knowledgeable. They made the pipe work, i think the major underlying issue was the "defect" (and im using that word loosely). At the bottom of the pipe, where there was a gash/uneven surface. Once they smoothed it down, it made it no longer line up with the Turbo. (This is speculation, i still have to go down there and find out for sure, and ill keep you all updated). But once that didnt line up with the turbo, trying to force it in caused it to push against the heat sink.

As far as the shop, they are in "the process" of getting with ERZ. So it hasn't officially happened.

I most definitely don't wanna freak any one out,

^:spin: You are so screwed. You are still blaming your DP and "upgrade" problems on the parts instead of the SHOP:confused:. Just the fact that they offered to "make the DP work" tells most all they need to hear. They already ruined a $340 DP that you CANNOT resell later. Don't let them ruin your car.

The shop did not call you to let you know the part needed to go back to the mfr is suspect enough to yank the car out of the shop. I bet it is already in pieces because they did not bother to wait till all the parts were in to start tearing it apart:rolleyes:. Take the advice of members on here who have dealt with many speedshops. Before you get even more screwed you better get involved real fast. Best of luck.

Archived