LegacyGT.com

Full tune of 68HTA, KSTech 73 MAF, Racer X FMIC and DW750s

LittleBlueGT

It should reach your goals, but at a much lower price point, w/ less stuff to buy.

One thing that sucks the most about this... I'm not alone in feeling like a complete idiot for not being able to think of a way to simplify and improve existing turbos... One of those things where you're like "oh that's it? Why didn't I think of that?" lame... Makes me want to fly out to Arizona right now...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know the deal LBGT...show us the datalogs when these new turbos come out...:lol:

Trust me, if I can get a hold of one, I can guarantee part of the deal will be extensive write-ups. Good thing my work is slowing down in a few weeks.

Trust me, if I can get a hold of one

I don't get the impression you will have the slightest problem getting one of the first ones... trouble is whether you're willing to test an STI-fitment kit on an LGT... and I hope you are if that issue does come up.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I don't get the impression you will have the slightest problem getting one of the first ones... trouble is whether you're willing to test an STI-fitment kit on an LGT... and I hope you are if that issue does come up.

One design will fit stock UP TTBOMK (obviously will work better w/ FR 1.5 kit). My FMIC is for an STI fitment turbo, so it should be a bolt up affair, just not sure how he is doing the oil/coolant lines.

Hmmm. If it uses stock up... does it use stock down? I want STi fitment. Its what I use now. Oil and coolant lines can be re-routed. Whats the ETA? Where do I sign up?

Different DP, I can't wait for you guys to see the pics!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 months later...

I finally got around to tuning my ID1000s on my car w/ FP68HTA turbo (ported turbine housing)

-Perrin ELH

-TBE, catless

-TGV, APS inlet

-FMIC

In -9F IAT I saw a max of 4.82 volts with my KSTech 73mm CAI

With ID1000s that required 89% IDC to keep AFR at 11:1

Incidentally (why I know the ID1000s don't flow 1000cc at 43.5 psi) I used their latency and a scalar of 930 cc/min and that puts me at 440 g/s of airflow, but with the MAF IAT comp it comes down to 418 or so. I think the scalar should be closer to 880 or so if it were to compare with my DW 740 cc/min injectors, also this was on E10 gas, so I think I was actually flowing more like 380 g/s of air.

In the same conditions a VF__ turbo flow about 330 g/s, maybe 340 g/s (more like 280 in the summer) using the same WBO2 I have (PLX).

The 68HTA spools the same as a VF__ turbo but makes about 30 more whp, maybe 40 more.

For those that say you should push the boost higher, well at 18 psi at 6000 rpm I was pushing 418 g/s, the turbo started creeping in 4th and 5th and at 20 psi at 6000 rpm I was flowing exactly the same. (FWIW I had the exact same thing, albeit at much reduced airflow levels, in the summer with an EWG).

Ported housing only seemed to help with creep when the temps are above 0F, below 0 and I am still screwed, guess I need an 8cm housing.

So for me, on my car, 21 psi tapering to 18 is the ticket for this turbo.

800 feet elevation

high atmospheric pressure making it seem like 140 feet elevation

So due to the efficiency you were flowing the same at 18 PSI as 20 PSI past 6000 rpm?

What AVCS numbers are you running in that range?

Also, with E10 you should adjust your flow scalar appropriately. 1015*(14.13/14.7)=975.64

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/levenussupremus/Subarubreakpoints.jpg

So due to the efficiency you were flowing the same at 18 PSI as 20 PSI past 6000 rpm?

What AVCS numbers are you running in that range?

Also, with E10 you should adjust your flow scalar appropriately. 1015*(14.13/14.7)=975.64

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/levenussupremus/Subarubreakpoints.jpg

AVCS is 0 above 5200 rpm. I tried up to 15, but it showed little difference.

My scalar is at 930, and in reality should probably be at 880 or so. There is no way I am flowing over 400 g/s of air, but with a scalar of 930 that is what the ECU thinks it is flowing to get the correct AFR.

Love info like that. ;) And holy crap man.. you're making some power! :)

It is pretty cold, and it is hard to get good data when it is that cold. I only do it if car is from garage so that diffs tranny are warm. Don't need to take out one of them.

In the summer I think I only hit about 4.68 volts or so.

Missed that.

Yes, if anything I sometimes flow a few g/s less at 20 psi at 6000 rpm then I do at 18 psi. I have tested this numerous times, w/ and w/o EWG.

Just to clarify, my APS inlet and TGV deletes I did on my AVO380 showed that I was about 1.5 psi less, but the same flow. When I had EWG on the AVO380 I tried upping the boost some more, but also saw no more airflow.

That being said, I do have a theory. Some people seem to get very good flow out of their 68HTA at higher boost levels. I believe that this turbo probably is more efficient at higher PRs, kinda like one of these BW comp maps (not 68hta):

http://www.full-race.com/store/images/full/borgwarner-efr-7064-turbo-content-1.jpg

As you can see on that comp map, with our 2.5 liter cars at sea level you will not flow 56 lbs/min, as at 25 psi your PR will be about 2.8 (accounting a little bit of IC pressure loss). To get the most out of this turbo you need to be at about 3.4 PR. This won't happen with the VE of this motor at sea level.

BUT, if you have OEM manifolds, and few other restrictions, and you are at 5500 feet, then the turbo will naturally fall into the above 3.2 PR, and will be ideal. Sure you won't flow 56 lb/min (cause you are not at standard atmospheric conditions at 5500 feet) but your PR will be in the sweet spot.

This may be why a 20g makes more power then a 68hta at sea level, but a 68hta at 5500 feet give up very little.

We really need a BW matchbot for all turbos, then the physics will be apparent.

Just got my 8cm housing from BNR. It is on the turbo. Now I need to get it all together and go testing with the DW 1000cc's I have. For a comparison.

How much $$$? Was it a Mitsu 8cm housing or did he machine something from an 8cm IHI? Me wants 8cm too (with internal gate) :)

Has internal gate. I am not familiar with the numbers on it. I was going to ask Bryan what it came from. I need to buy or fab a bracket to hold the WG closed. But it was $200 delivered. I dont think it was a "special" price. I just called and asked for it. Not as a wholesale purchase. Told him it was for me and I would pay. He said to give him a few weeks and sure enough it showed up.

Great post, LBGT. That's intriguing regarding HTA68 vs 20G at sea level and then again at altitude. Good stuff.

Have you spent time w/ matchbot, and watched the 4 vids? If not I strongly suggest you do. If you are at all an engineer, and want to understand the dynamics of turbos more then you ever have before, this will do it.:cool:

Have you spent time w/ matchbot, and watched the 4 vids? If not I strongly suggest you do. If you are at all an engineer, and want to understand the dynamics of turbos more then you ever have before, this will do it.:cool:

sweet I need to check this out more closely.

Thanks for the info about your boost levels and results. I'll have to experiment with tapering my 20G

I finally got around to tuning my ID1000s on my car w/ FP68HTA turbo (ported turbine housing)

-Perrin ELH

-TBE, catless

-TGV, APS inlet

-FMIC

In -9F IAT I saw a max of 4.82 volts with my KSTech 73mm CAI

Was this MAF sensor voltage?

Was this MAF sensor voltage?

Yes actual voltage.

Keep in mind that the 04-06 cars (TTBOMK) have a MAF IAT comp table. So at like -20F it subtracts 5% of MAF g/s, in other words, the sensor reads a couple hundreds high at low temps.

That being said, I was hitting much less in the summer, and I actually had to add another value in my MAF scaling table, as I only had it going to 4.81 volts, didn't think I would need more then that.

What would happen if I did WOT stuff at -40F:eek:

In the same conditions a VF__ turbo flow about 330 g/s, maybe 340 g/s (more like 280 in the summer) using the same WBO2 I have (PLX).

Not sure I am following. There is no stock Vf that I know of that can flow 330+? I hit 315 g/sec at best in the cold with my vf43.

Archived