LegacyGT.com

FAQ: Subaru Legacy 2.5i

If you have an '05 as per your mini signature, it'll bolt right up. Possible clearance issue with power steering line as detailed in other posts.

Thank you very much for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

It sounds like it just is a straight swap from stock to uel? I thought I read that it isnt just a simple swap?

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the 05, I think it is a straight swap? For the 06+ its definitely not a straight up swap. Look for impreza RS replica headers, not WRX headers. You can always swap in a new high flow cat converter and resonator for a more free flowing exhaust, an aftermarket resonator will make the UEL headers sound better.

an 05 won't be a straight swap either. if you do a turbo manifold, you will also need a new water pump due to the downward facing outlet, and the 05 had two diff. manifolds depending on cali or fed emissions. one has the triple cat style like an H6, and the other has the impreza style. you gotta do some more research, and look under the car. ;)

Thank you very much for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

It sounds like it just is a straight swap from stock to uel? I thought I read that it isnt just a simple swap?

For the Canadian market '05 2.5i, it should definitely be a straight swap with the header you posted. Bolt-on and go :-)

Post a pic of your existing factory header if you need confirmation.

Edited by CDN 2.5i

btw i beached my car in some snow the other day and i threw the ABS and CEL, also got a Er SS on the display.

this typically happens when one wheel spins much quicker than the other, as when stuck in snow and the speed sensor gets thrown off. but after a few engine cycles it will reset itself once the calibration corrects. thought it might be useful for anyone who happens to get stuck in snow and is worried about the CEL

That is correct. I did the same on my way to work Saturday and got stuck as i arrived at work(nothing was plowed), but had just an ABS and ERR SS in the cluster. I just went inside and cleared everything with the SSM we had.

I had a customer come in today for the same thing. We have seen some vibrations and busted wipers today because people fail to realize that stuff builds up under the front end and they think they can use frozen wipers to clear off all the snow:lol:

Edited by blackfang
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I had a loud vibration yesterday in relation to rpms and sounded like it was coming from the passenger front floorboard. I got home and popped the hood and saw all the ice wedged around the exhaust and cat.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

^another piece of common sense: when snow/dirt/ice builds up on the wheel and causes bad vibrations. The first time this happened to me, I thought my wheel was about to fall off. Then I realized it was all the mud that was caked in my wheels from being stuck.

haha yeah i went to play in a big parking lot with some other guys and afterwards i got some vibrations, thought maybe i bent something but there were no curbs in the lot so i was confused. then i realized there was a bunch of snow caked onto my wheels cause the weight imbalance.

I had a loud vibration yesterday in relation to rpms and sounded like it was coming from the passenger front floorboard. I got home and popped the hood and saw all the ice wedged around the exhaust and cat.

haha wouldn't have thought of that, i'll keep that in mind.

although one guy thought he was getting vibrations around his heat shield last night until we popped the hood and his turbo was glowing red hot, oil press was zero :eek: with heavy knocking

we ended up towing his car :spin: too many sno-nuts for him

^ i tried to find the thread where shtbxr22 showed a walkthrough on how he made that but i codlnt' find it for some reason

he has UEL with some custom welding to hook it all up iirc. btw, it sounds awesome, thanks for the vid! haha kinda makes me want to do it now, prob doens't help i hung out with a bunch of wrx/sti's over the weekend.

btw, i also pm'd hanger about the z/s intake piping that he tried, unfortunately it didn't fit and hook up properly so that piece is a no go for the 2.5i

i guess the spectre piping that some guys have done on here does the same thing for a lot cheaper. i'm wondering i should do it that now, haha. where did you guys get it from again, autozone?

one guy thought he was getting vibrations around his heat shield last night until we popped the hood and his turbo was glowing red hot, oil press was zero :eek: with heavy knocking

knock ended up being from a rod bearing failure, to the point of it melting into the journal from the lack of oil :confused::eek:

lesson to all: take periodic breaks when pulling hard donuts ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the Perrin LCP installed and noticed a 3 changes so far:

- The RPM's at idle speed dropped to almost 1/2 K. It might use a little less gas now at idle.

- High speed improvement once I hit 65+ the engine seems more responsive, feels more powerful and the RPM's dipped below 3K at 65 - 70mph. Previously the RPM's stayed at 3K at the same speeds.

- Acceleration is slightly more responsive in general

i don't think any 2.5i owners have officially taken their car on a dyno before and after parts so it's tough to say, but also because most of us realize the bolt-on modifications really only net minimal gains.

the ones included under section #7 are really where they would make an impact. otherwise for the high flow panel filter it'd be probably be like 1hp at most haha, to me i didn't notice any difference in the power but the combustion cycle just felt smoother as the engine was breathing easier.

light weight crank pulley nets like maybe 3-5hp? the engine revs a bit more freely but how much power that amounts to is probably not all that much either

exhaust mods, if you're just doing axlebacks, you're effectively just swapping the mufflers so it doens't really make a power difference, just a difference in the exhaust note

• 2 weeks later...