LegacyGT.com

FAQ: Subaru Legacy 2.5i

do you guys think it'd be a waste of money to get the ion performance front calipers ??

Yeah i went with pads like most others and they helped out a REAL LOT:lol:!

If you want nice calipers i would powder coat or simply paint your stockers way cheaper no one will now they're not Brembo :lol:

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha i don't really care about the appearance of my brake calipers but i do want more stopping performance

i suppose i'll just swap in aftermarket pads and rotors, seems easier. i'm up for my 30k soon anyway.

also my cv joints suffered premature wear and i have to get them replaced. *sigh*

and i'm getting some new interior creaks too. so f-ing annoying. this new one is in the center console by the cupholders, it's stupid. i don't know of any other car that has so many rattles and creaks.

i'm definitely going to get a german car next.

yeah but only for 36K or 50K miles after that its $100 oil changes and $450 fuel pumps

If I could have a any car on the earth no exclusions I would have a Porsche 911 Turbo $132K or I would even take a Cayman at $53K Ferrari's and Lambo's yeah yeah Porsche is my choice that or a really insanely built Legacy :eek:

haha yea i know it

but bmw has a maintenance package and i think MB has one you can purchase so not really a big deal imo.

I wonder how much those cost :spin:

Going back to your original question though, bleeding your brakes with proper fluid would also make a significant difference on top of good pads. People seem to really like ATE Super Blue. I'm using the regular ATE and it works fine, I'll probably do the Super Blue next time though...

yea, i'm thinking cayman as well but i'm not certain i would daily drive it. my co-worker has a carrera 4s and he daily drives it and hasn't had any issues with it, seems pretty reliable overall. he's also crazy though cause he puts roof racks on his porsche and hauls his bikes around looking like an idiot, but he loves getting that wtf look. hahaha. :iam:

in any case i think for my next vehicles i'd probaby just lease them and then once i hit the period where warranty or the maintenance is up i'll just swap out to avoid the excessive costs of ownership thereafter. i'm just so tired of the interior rattles !

though, i'd consider an outback for a winter vehicle, depending on the locale i live in and if AWD is still necessary in adverse weather. hopefully the new ones aren't as prone to rattles.

edit: i also love the styling of the new lotus evora but not sure how reliability is on lotus vehicles, certainly the powerplant should be ok but not sure about other components

Edited by katalyst

yea, i'm thinking cayman as well but i'm not certain i would daily drive it. my co-worker has a carrera 4s and he daily drives it and hasn't had any issues with it, seems pretty reliable overall. he's also crazy though cause he puts roof racks on his porsche and hauls his bikes around looking like an idiot, but he loves getting that wtf look. hahaha. :iam:

in any case i think for my next vehicles i'd probaby just lease them and then once i hit the period where warranty or the maintenance is up i'll just swap out to avoid the excessive costs of ownership thereafter. i'm just so tired of the interior rattles !

though, i'd consider an outback for a winter vehicle, depending on the locale i live in and if AWD is still necessary in adverse weather. hopefully the new ones aren't as prone to rattles.

edit: i also love the styling of the new lotus evora but not sure how reliability is on lotus vehicles, certainly the powerplant should be ok but not sure about other components

Exactly my point why buy a nice car and keep it garaged ???? I would never purposefully not drive a 911 Turbo if I had one that bitch would be my DD like the rest.

Cars aren't special to me in that sense, they are special b/c I enjoy them and have lots of fun driving them and tinkering on them, they are only worth what a person is willing to pay period. I love my 2.5i period I think it looks sexy it drives well, low maintenance, cheap insurance, and i can work on it! I would love a Porsche the same way and I would learn the in's and out's same as I have for Subaru's.

I would get the WTF look b/c people would see my 911 Turbo in my driveway on jack stands while I drop the oil or fit a tuned exhaust:eek:

alright well back to the topic of brakes

any opinions on Akebono ProACT pads? i know smushybrain you mentioned them, any difficulty with them in the winter time and getting them up to operating temp? also where did you get the centric rotors from? do they rust like the stock ones do?

Edited by katalyst

alright well back to the topic of brakes

any opinions on Akebono ProACT pads? i know smushybrain you mentioned them, any difficulty with them in the winter time and getting them up to operating temp? also where did you get the centric rotors from? do they rust like the stock ones do?

I like the Akebono ProACT pads. I was really just looking for something better than stock with low dust... and I've been happy with them so far. I haven't noticed them taking awhile to get up to temp and we've been having some pretty cold weather up here.

I got both the Centric rotors and Akebono pads on Tire Rack. The rotors are coated with some sort of black coating. The braking surface does flash rust after sitting for a night coated in salt water. They're going through their first very salty NY winter so I'll report back on how they're holding up in the spring. It did look like the vane end part of the rotor is getting a little rusty but the center hat still looks decent so far.

• 2 weeks later...

update for our FAQ: I installed a 2008 ECM in my 2007 Legacy, and it works. just had to enter the VIN, and re-register the keys. now since Romraider makes definitions for 2008 legacy 2.5i, I can tune the car opensource now :D

note: 2007 legacy 2.5i is not supported by romraider.....yet.

katalyst, don't forget to update for the Rear LSD diff from an 08 GT. has same ratio as 2.5i MT, (3.90:1) I put one in my 2007 2.5i. not only is it more fun in the slippery stuff, but it adds a touch of safety having a lowered car that's relatively stiff. my example would be that twice when pulling out into a road when I crossed over the crest of the road, my left rear wheel came up, and i lost forward push since the open diff. is a piece of crap. after the LSD swap, I attempted the same thing at the same place, and no loss in forward movement. score 1 for safety and performance. :)

katalyst, don't forget to update for the Rear LSD diff from an 08 GT. has same ratio as 2.5i MT, (3.90:1) I put one in my 2007 2.5i. not only is it more fun in the slippery stuff, but it adds a touch of safety having a lowered car that's relatively stiff. my example would be that twice when pulling out into a road when I crossed over the crest of the road, my left rear wheel came up, and i lost forward push since the open diff. is a piece of crap. after the LSD swap, I attempted the same thing at the same place, and no loss in forward movement. score 1 for safety and performance. :)

Any idea if there's a rear LSD available for the 2007 2.5i automatic?