LegacyGT.com

FAQ: Subaru Legacy 2.5i

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most LGT cat-backs have a 3" diameter. I believe the SPT cat-back is 2.5", I'm not sure but blackfang is using one on his 2.5i.

There arent any 2.5i specific cat-backs. I'd just get a set of mufflers and call it a day, unless you score a great deal on a cat-back. It wont yield much gains either way on our non-turbos. Money is best spent on the suspension for our cars.

^^I'm almost set on going for the spacers. I already have the pulley and the hybrid intake. I'm just worried about screwing something up lol, any suggestions on what to look out for during the install? I don't have a lift so I have no clue how I should approach this.

Please post some photos when you're done installing the spacers.

According to the instructions it takes 4 hours to install? :eek:

I probably will just take to an independent Subie shop to get it installed.

How do you like the lightweight pulley?

the 8mm spacers have to be trimmed at the edges because of the coolant crossover tube, and make sure you have the right length bolts. there are two different types of intake manifolds. also two sets of gaskets. I did it in about 45 minutes, and you don't need a lift.

the 8mm spacers have to be trimmed at the edges because of the coolant crossover tube, and make sure you have the right length bolts. there are two different types of intake manifolds. also two sets of gaskets. I did it in about 45 minutes, and you don't need a lift.

Do you know if I had the dealer install it would the warranty be cool? Since it's just a gasket/spacer...SOA hopefully won't give me any hassle with potential warranty claims.

I did some more reading on the lightweight pulleys. Some vendors claim that the pulley also can improve acceleration?

Might have to contact SOA and see if they're cool with these minor mods. My issue is that I got the max extended warranty so want to make sure it's legit.

Please post some photos when you're done installing the spacers.

According to the instructions it takes 4 hours to install? :eek:

I probably will just take to an independent Subie shop to get it installed.

How do you like the lightweight pulley?

I don't know if I could go through that whole install process without screwing something up lol. Taking it to a shop sounds enticing, but that would be a hefty bill i bet. The lightweight pulley made a noticeable difference when I first pulled it out of the shop! I was like wowwww when I dropped it in 3rd and did a pull at about 4k rpms. The power comes on quicker it seems like.

yeah i have their Front 22m and rear 19mm Sway kit, as a testimonial, its one of the best things you can get for your handling on the 2.5i, match it up with a good set of springs and you will have perfect handling.

Just got an 09 2.5i about a month ago and was starting to read up on upgrades etc. I'm thinking of doing a sway bar package as it seems to be one of the more worth while upgrades to do. From what Ive read, a bigger rear sway bar increases oversteer where a larger front bar increases understeer. I was looking at the rallitek kit for the simplicity of an entire ready to bolt up kit until I noticed that the kit seems set up for understeer (22mm front/ 19mm rear) Am I interpreting this correctly? I'd obviously like a balanced ride but I always feel more comfy with a setup leaning towards oversteer opposed to understeer especially on a car without the power to correct understeer. How does this setup compare to the others people are running like the tribeca front / perrin rear. I have no plans to go out on a track. Just a more responsive tigher setup without sacrificing ride quality. Also it seems recommended to upgrade the endlinks when doing the swaybars, any recommendations for the best ones and any other "weak links" to fix when doing the sway bars? Past week or so I've read an overwhelming amount of info and its a bit much to take in so sorry if this has been a bit long winded.

OEM diameters are 20mm front and 15mm rear, so 22mm front and 19mm from the Rallitek kit should makes things neutral according to them.

For endlinks, some people are using stock with their aftermarket sways without issues. If I were to upgrade I'd get the Rallitek HD, OEM design with beefier materials, and a 5 year warranty.

i don't think endlinks are as much of a problem as the mounting brackets with the sway bars, if you ever get under your car and take a look at them; you will realize that it is definitely a weak area

attached pic from another member:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/libertygt/Dead%20Alpaca/Mar07003.jpg

Edited by katalyst

Anyone have some pointers on replacing the stock crank pulley with a Perrin pulley on an 09 2.5i Automatic? i was looking through the forums and they mention some sort of plug to stick a screwdriver in to keep the pulley from moving. I've searched the whole engine bay with no luck in finding it. I'm a DIY guy and would like to get it done myself if possible.

they'd probably void it since it alters the original design of the engine

No no no no no no no no no.

If you have a problem that can be directly attributed to the installation of intake manifold spacers, then your warranty is void only on the affected parts. Not the entire engine.

It must be proven that the spacers caused the problem. They're spacers, they can't do much of anything, so don't worry about it.

i would agree that the spacers would most likely do no harm to the engine, but still modifications always put you on an uphill battle on warranty claims.

btw hanger, i'd like to know how the z/s pipe works out too, i was really contemplating getting it myself.