LegacyGT.com

FAQ: Subaru Legacy 2.5i

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure thing. IIRC, only the 2.5i with the 4EAT has the fuse where you can do that. If you get a flat in the front, Subaru recommends putting the spare on the back wheel and use the back wheel for the front until you can get it fixed. The 3.0 and turbo does not. All manuals do not either. I will double check, but could be wrong.

I hate fix a flat. When I was a tire changer, we used to get that crap all over us and it was a pita to clean/remove.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I hate fix a flat. When I was a tire changer, we used to get that crap all over us and it was a pita to clean/remove.

Plus it will destroy your TPMS sensor costing you to replace it. Fix a Flat should only be the very very very very last resort.

3) Exhaust

“Where can I get the boxer rumble that Subaru is so famous for?” the rumble that is infamous on WRX and STi’s (also the LGT) is due to the unequal exhaust length (UEL) headers. Unfortunately the 2.5i features equal length headers and thus does not emit the noted boxer rumble.

However, there are several aftermarket exhaust options available, though they will not give your car the boxer rumble sound, they can still change the exhaust note favorably. All axleback options for the LGT will bolt right up to the 2.5i. The SPTv2 CBE has also been successfully installed on a 2.5i as well.

soooo, considering the fact that the SPTv2 exhaust has been installed, do you think it's possible to install a different aftermarket exhaust like a magnaflow? idk too much about differences between the exhausts on the 2.5i and GT but if the midpipe connects to the cat the same way should it work?

I would imagine that if they make one for a LGT, then the Magnaflow should fit diameter wise and connect fine.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
soooo, considering the fact that the SPTv2 exhaust has been installed, do you think it's possible to install a different aftermarket exhaust like a magnaflow? idk too much about differences between the exhausts on the 2.5i and GT but if the midpipe connects to the cat the same way should it work?

Just installed the magnaflow exhaust for the GT on my 2.5i with no fitment issues. I haven't had any spare time to put a video together and post. I bought a muffler/resonator to cut done on the drone but haven't had it installed yet. I will try to make two vids one w/ and one w/o.

• 4 weeks later...

So maybe the FAQ hasn't been updated in a bit, but for the replica headers, what year are we looking for?

Ive seen people mention, but never really confirm that early 2000 WRX headers will work?

In CDN's post a couple years ago, he mentions a couple of sellers, but neither of them have headers anymore.

From what I can tell from the pictures it looks the same as this sellers, but this guys name is ilovetacotaco (what a name)

I'd probly end up going with that one over the other designs, even though its more money, just cause I know that it does work in CDNs setup. Or does the pipeflow design not matter at all (I'd think they would for fitment issues)?

So can any info that could be added to the FAQ, or someone can just let me know?

Edited by sulk

• 3 weeks later...
the 8mm spacers have to be trimmed at the edges because of the coolant crossover tube, and make sure you have the right length bolts. there are two different types of intake manifolds. also two sets of gaskets. I did it in about 45 minutes, and you don't need a lift.

Have you noticed any difference with power improvement from the spacers? I think you are the only 2.5i owner that installed them.

i don't think it would have any impact over the engine life. since once the incoming air enters the combustion cycle it will be just as hot as ever in the cylinders but the volume of incoming air should be greater at a higher density due to the lower temps.

if anything i think it would probably increase mpg a little bit?

With the lower temperature maybe it'll help with the longevity of the engine as well? :confused:

I don't think intake manifold temperature will affect longevitity of the engine much.

well I pulled almost 39 mpg avg(probably 36 +/-) on an 80 mile trip when I first put them on.

Cooler air requires more fuel, so scientifically speaking your mpg should be negligibly worse.

Hypermilers, or people that try to squeeze every last mpg out of their cars, fabricate "hot air intakes" to get the best gas mileage.

I wouldn't let those figures change your mind. It'll be worth doing just for the underhood experience, in my opinion. Gas mileage will HARDLY decrease, to the point you probably won't even be able to notice it... but the science is still true.

The increased intake chamber volume gained from the spacers may add a tiny bit of power, along with the decreased air temps.

I don't think intake manifold temperature will affect longevitity of the engine much.

Cooler air requires more fuel, so scientifically speaking your mpg should be negligibly worse.

Hypermilers, or people that try to squeeze every last mpg out of their cars, fabricate "hot air intakes" to get the best gas mileage.

the mileage would be better because with more air/fuel you will make more power, but if you drive the same, you should be using less fuel because you are asking less of the engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Question about that lift youve got on that subaru. I have a 99 Legacy wagon, similar to the silver one picture there. I love it, but has a down fall of poor clearance. Ive been stuck once in the snow here in CO, a 3 foot drift, simply because I sit too low to the ground. Ive been thinking about doing something similar to my car.

What all did you have to do? And whatd you pay to do it?

So maybe the FAQ hasn't been updated in a bit, but for the replica headers, what year are we looking for?

Ive seen people mention, but never really confirm that early 2000 WRX headers will work?

In CDN's post a couple years ago, he mentions a couple of sellers, but neither of them have headers anymore.

From what I can tell from the pictures it looks the same as this sellers, but this guys name is ilovetacotaco (what a name)

I'd probly end up going with that one over the other designs, even though its more money, just cause I know that it does work in CDNs setup. Or does the pipeflow design not matter at all (I'd think they would for fitment issues)?

So can any info that could be added to the FAQ, or someone can just let me know?

that looks to be the same header for sure... they were being manufactured overseas and sold by a couple of different vendors. Price is about right. Ship it to a US address and import it yourself to save on the exorbitant freight to Canada.

If you have an '05 as per your mini signature, it'll bolt right up. Possible clearance issue with power steering line as detailed in other posts. You can install it at home yourself but if you notice its contacting, take it to a muffler shop to get it tweaked correctly (and more easily than you could do yourself, unless you have the tools etc).

the mileage would be better because with more air/fuel you will make more power, but if you drive the same, you should be using less fuel because you are asking less of the engine.

That may only be true when you're at full throttle, I'm not sure though. Something to do with open/closed loop operation.

I DO know that the "hypermiler" folks drive like 94 year old women in conjunction with their hot air intakes, which is something that we here at LegacyGT.com cannot replicate. :lol: