lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I live in a similar environment and was looking for the very same thing from my lowering springs. After much research I elected to purchase the Eibach pro kit. It offers a 1" drop in the front, and a .8" in the rear. I only had them installed on monday of this week, but so far they are exactly what I was looking for.

+1000. i installed the same set two weeks ago and highly highly recommend them i have tried H-Tech's, Pinks, Bilstein HD's and all the combinations of them they either rode horrible, made noise, pogo'd, bottomed out or the stance was wrong. i finally bought the Eibach's from http://www.tirerack.com used the stock struts/shocks and i am very happy now the car rides like stock, lowered to where the tire evenly fits the arch of the wheel well, no bottoming out, quiet, squat is gone [progressive wound springs] and actually handles good w/o excessive leaning [also have Cusco sways] i've tried them all and for a daily driver with the roads i have to drive on the Eibach is the set to have. they have the Bosco seal of approval. :)

Stay Stock Stay Happy

+1000. i installed the same set two weeks ago and highly highly recommend them i have tried H-Tech's, Pinks, Bilstein HD's and all the combinations of them they either rode horrible, made noise, pogo'd, bottomed out or the stance was wrong. i finally bought the Eibach's from www.tirerack.com used the stock struts/shocks and i am very happy now the car rides like stock, lowered to where the tire evenly fits the arch of the wheel well, no bottoming out, quiet, squat is gone [progressive wound springs] and actually handles good w/o excessive leaning [also have Cusco sways] i've tried them all and for a daily driver with the roads i have to drive on the Eibach is the set to have. they have the Bosco seal of approval. :)

Hmm, sounds good. Pics plz!!!

i'm in the same boat...need a drop, preferably no more than 1". bosco: all you got were the springs and kept the stock struts on? really no need to change the struts too? if that's the case, i'll get some springs soon. i was under the impression that you should do both at the same time. :spin:

CaptainHook,

I'll get some pics up this week. It was raining up this way for almost all of last week, now that we finally have some sun I'll get it done. I'll also include some stock shots for comparison.

I totally agree with Bosco! I spent a ton of time reading the suspension section on this forum trying to determine the best spring choice for my car. After much waffling I called my dealer (they are very mod friendly) and asked them which lowering springs they would recommend and they suggested the Eibach's.

After the install and driving it that first week all I can say is my LGT with stock struts feels awesome using these springs in a spirited daily driven situation. I have a matching set of whiteline adjustable sway bars and some XXR 518 18x8.5 wheels with 245/35R18 tires.

i'm in the same boat...need a drop, preferably no more than 1". bosco: all you got were the springs and kept the stock struts on? really no need to change the struts too? if that's the case, i'll get some springs soon. i was under the impression that you should do both at the same time. :spin:

i have front and rear springs only with stock/OEM what came on the car struts/shocks. i'll take pics later today stand by.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

i was going to wash the car before the pics but decided you all need to know now. the front and rear wheel wells measure 25 3/8" front 25 1/2" rear to the top of the arch. i have Rota Tokyo wheels on it now 18x7.5 with Goodyear DS-G3 225/40-18 i'll say this one more time i've tried the popular set-ups and this one is by far the best for a daily driver if you track your car then maybe there are better choices but for the roads i drive on these work. better price than those rip-off Pinks, much better ride than any of the others, the stance is perfect in my eyes and no bottoming out for the pot hole infested jungle i drive on. i wish i would have used the Eibach's first.

your results may vary.

930495610_Library-1486.jpg.43a74e8ecf8a15722e597f6ad1265b01.jpg

1962309574_Library-1487.jpg.306995da00e0a07d8419f3ad2ca1ae65.jpg

137129752_Library-1488.jpg.65e4339f8790022030573447e8694fc6.jpg

711906868_Library-1489.jpg.9f2b8f53b8d94f911d1e38c986564814.jpg

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Why didn't you like the HD/pinks combo? Too harsh?

it rode like shit and didn't sit right front to rear b/c of those JDM top hats which raise the car appox. 1/2" you can level the car with shims in the rear but then what's the point? save your money the stock suspension pieces are not that bad and the Pinks are so over priced it's almost criminal. Eibach also makes a higher performance spring which may be worth looking into just remember when it's all said and done it's still a Legacy.

one more thing i have a 2008 Corvette with Bilsteins and they work great on that application if i wanted/needed premium struts/shocks i would look into the Koni's or Tokia <sp? they don't require the JDM top hats and are adjustable iirc.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I had a feeling those Eibach's were going to be good springs. I can't beleive the stock struts work better than the bilstein HD's though.

Bosco, you should write a detailed review in the review section. There are probably a lot of lgt owners who are looking for a tighter car with good daily ride qualities who would save a lot of time starting out with the eibach springs. I might have to buy a set and mount them to my stock struts just to see how they compare to the rallitek's + bilstein hd setup. My current setup is still a tad firm over some road surfaces. Mainly at high speeds over washboard surfaces. The car follows the road a bit too much instead of absorbing these smaller bumps.

i was going to wash the car before the pics but decided you all need to know now. the front and rear wheel wells measure 25 3/8" front 25 1/2" rear to the top of the arch. i have Rota Tokyo wheels on it now 18x7.5 with Goodyear DS-G3 225/40-18 i'll say this one more time i've tried the popular set-ups and this one is by far the best for a daily driver if you track your car then maybe there are better choices but for the roads i drive on these work. better price than those rip-off Pinks, much better ride than any of the others, the stance is perfect in my eyes and no bottoming out for the pot hole infested jungle i drive on. i wish i would have used the Eibach's first.

your results may vary.

:whore:

thanks bosco. this thread and you just solidified my choice. over the weekend, i threw on my rota tarmac 3s (18x8) with 225/40/18 hankook ventus s1 rubber. stance looks just a tad high. i use the lgt as my dd too and never plan on tracking the thing. i mean, i guess it could happen, but i have no plans on doing it. yeah i'm driving over and dodging potholes everyday in and around boston. glad to know that the comfort is still there. :)

No, the car rides flat and follows the road surfaces. It absorbs really bad sections of road with big bumps without giving you that feeling of pogo out of control. The downside is that these large bumps get damped very quickly and the vertical deceleration is felt in the seat of your pants, so although the car feels very stable, your body ends up feeling the bump more.

Repeating expansion joints and undulations on the concrete freeways around here when going 75 mph are still not being dealt with as much as I would like. The chasis is mostly taking the hit on these instead of being absorbed by the suspension. It might have something to do with the firmer dampening on the HD's, because the springs dont seem to be any stiffer than stock.

I was also suspecting that these springs were really high quality. When they arrived they looked amazing...with a stenciled logo on them like I am used to seeing on the eibach's...good to know,

This is great information. Thanks, Bosco for your input on this. The roads are really bad here in NE PA. I've been reluctant to put lowering springs on my '06 LGT because of the terrible roads here in NE PA, but Bosco's input on the Eibachs gave be new hope.

I have 2 questions:

1. I use Rino Ramps to change my oil. Will I still be able to clear the ramp with a 1" drop in the front?

2. I have over 66K on the OEM struts. Should I replace them at the same time as the springs? If so, which ones do you suggest? I still need as close to OEM ride as possible (my lower back couldn't take the jolting of performace struts). Also, the OEMs still feel pretty solid though.

Thanks for yuor suggestions.

there is no perfect suspension and everything is a compromise but of all the ones i have tried the Eibach with the stock struts/shocks is by far the most livable. when you lower a car to much and i feel anything over +1" is too much you lose suspension travel and when you lose that travel you are taking the suspension out of it's sweet spot were it was designed to function. one reason a car like a BMW is so good is b/c it has a lot of suspension travel compared to normal cars. the car with little travel is also prone to bottoming out which may not be an issue on a track but in the real world it's a problem now put three of your friends in the car and let me know how that goes. i have to live with my car daily and in all the weather conditions that Illinois throws at me. i want it to be functional but still look good and handle well the Eibach works for me plus it wasn't a lot of money. you have to think someday of selling your car also and if it's slammed, rides like a tank and causes rattles then get ready to take a bath on a trade-in. the Eibach set-up improves the handling, eliminates most of the squat, doesn't affect the ride, lowers the car tastefully, fits factory perfect and is not a lot of money and that my friends is what makes it a winner.
Stay Stock Stay Happy

2. I have over 66k on the oem struts. Should i replace them at the same time as the springs? If so, which ones do you suggest? I still need as close to oem ride as possible (my lower back couldn't take the jolting of performace struts). Also, the oems still feel pretty solid though.

+1.

I have 2 questions:

1. I use Rino Ramps to change my oil. Will I still be able to clear the ramp with a 1" drop in the front?

2. I have over 66K on the OEM struts. Should I replace them at the same time as the springs? If so, which ones do you suggest? I still need as close to OEM ride as possible (my lower back couldn't take the jolting of performace struts). Also, the OEMs still feel pretty solid though.

1. i have no clue because i use a lift http://www.ezcarlift.com btw i measured my front end and it's appox. 6" clearance to the ground if that helps.

2. if they aren't leaking then i'd use them if you think they may be a problem soon then replace them. the OEM parts are not that bad see my sig :lol:

Stay Stock Stay Happy