lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm looking to get a set of springs for a 2008 Spec B.

My goal is to slightly lower ride height (.5"-1.0") without sacrificing much ride quality. I will be upgrading wheels in the future and want to lower the height so it doesn't look ridiculous. I drive 95% highway, 20k miles per year so ride comfort is a big deal. The car will never see a race track so superior handling is not required. I had many different suspension setups on my WRX and while it handled like a gokart, it was no longer enjoyable as a daily driver. I'd like to avoid going down that route with the Leggy.

Sugesstions?

*Prior experience with a 2006 WRX.

-Stock struts with Prodrive (red) springs

o Loved the ride quality, didn't like the lack of difference between stock ride height

-Stock struts with Maddad springs

o HATED these springs because rear was slammed inside wheel well while fronts remained same.

-Helix DNA coilovers

o Liked them at first but the lock collars siezed in less than 6 months. Soaked them in a bucket of auto tranny fluid for 6 months and didn't help. Had a shop use an air hammer, no luck. I eventually sold them since the ride height was no longer adjustable.

-Tein H-Tech springs, stock struts

o Loved them compared to coilovers simply because ride height was perfect, and ride comfort was restored.

*I had Hotchkiss Competition sways (26mm I believe) and they drastically improved handling, however ride comfort was significantly effected. Every bump, thump and lump in the road was felt with a jolt. With that said, I likely won't upgrade sways on the Spec B, and if I do they won't be humongous baseball bat sized sways.

for all the users of a eibach pro kit or similar, do you feel the car doesnt absorb bumps/cracked up roads like it should?

im on stock struts with the pro kit, and while the ride is firm and nice, it doesnt absorb bumps well. is this normal?

would aftermarket struts help this?

damping "seems" fine, but i have not ridden in another lgt to compare.

They are stiffer so they won't feel like the OEM springs. But I'm glad for that. A different damper like the Konis that can be calibrated to the stiffer springs would likely feel better. But they are still going to be stiffer over some bumps. I don't think you can avoid some compromise on the handling/ride balance.

for all the users of a eibach pro kit or similar, do you feel the car doesnt absorb bumps/cracked up roads like it should?

im on stock struts with the pro kit, and while the ride is firm and nice, it doesnt absorb bumps well. is this normal?

would aftermarket struts help this?

damping "seems" fine, but i have not ridden in another lgt to compare.

How many miles on the shocks/struts? I had my Epic/Eibach springs put on my stock struts around 37k miles. While it firmed up the ride a little, it felt like I was riding the bump stops whenever I went over bumps, dips or the occasional pothole.

When I finally upgraded to Konis at 39k miles, not only was it firmer and more controlled during turns, the car now absorbs bumps and dips like a champ. What's more, my mechanic said that my OEM shocks/struts were already on their way out :eek:

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

It's been discussed in other places here that the suspension travel of the legacy isn't that great to begin with (compared to something like a BMW 3 series which has a lot more). So any lowering will further compromise this. Add in stiffer springs and it's going to feel like you've lost some travel because, well, you have. ;)

I've read earlier in the thread that people have had success with Eibach's and factory struts, I think someone said the same for Rallitek, but I've also read that pairing aftermarket springs with factory struts causes the struts to go out in months. With 88k miles on my car is that something I should worry about, or is only for those who slam their rides? I just want less wheel gap and body roll and to still have a fairly comfortable daily driver. Opinions/advice?

I only had 58k miles on my factory struts when I put on the Eibach kit. Now that I have 63k miles on my car and I just replaced all my struts with Koni's (great option) my rears were making bubbling noises and front were starting to make the same noise. I probably could've lasted a few months more before the struts were completely useless. 88k miles is a no brainer...replace them or be sorry you didn't

I just upgraded to the Koni-Epic combo. My OEM struts-springs had 86K on them and where ready to be replaced anyway. Putting New springs on the stock stuts of that age is a waste of money. As it's been said, they wear out faster and then you're paying for labor all over again.

I just took a ~600 mile round trip from PA to VA yesterday and the Koni-Epics were awesome. The feel was very good even over the very rough roads of PA. Just a very firm, but compliant and comfortable ride. The Konis rebounded beautifully and the handling was incredible. I am so glad I upgraded. It feels like a different car with BMW-like handling. Oh, I have the Konis set halfway between full soft and full firm.

Props to M sprank for his Koni-Epic assembly services. I purchased the bolt-on solution from him. Highly recommend.

+1

i just upgraded to the koni-epic combo. My oem struts-springs had 86k on them and where ready to be replaced anyway. Putting new springs on the stock stuts of that age is a waste of money. As it's been said, they wear out faster and then you're paying for labor all over again.

I just took a ~600 mile round trip from pa to va yesterday and the koni-epics were awesome. The feel was very good even over the very rough roads of pa. Just a very firm, but compliant and comfortable ride. The konis rebounded beautifully and the handling was incredible. I am so glad i upgraded. It feels like a different car with bmw-like handling. Oh, i have the konis set halfway between full soft and full firm.

Props to m sprank for his koni-epic assembly services. I purchased the bolt-on solution from him. Highly recommend.

It was a little different for me becasue I purchased the Konis and Epics from Fred Bean Parts so I could pay with Subaru Bucks. I had FBP ship the parts to Mike. Mike's charges are $150 labor, $150 for core charge and $100 for S/H. If you get the parts from him I think he was charging $850.00. He refunds the core charge when he receives your cores. It cost me around $55 to ship from PA to CA via the UPS store. Hope this helps.

See this link for more info, post #23: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/gi-bolt-koni-set-ups-lgt-154996p2.html?highlight=koni+epic+bolt-on

• 1 month later...

so, trying to get a better idea of why to go with either rallitek or epic springs. my struts are gone, so going to be changing out to koni struts. so to finish out the suspension I'm going to get the springs, and down to the epic vs rallitek. thoughts on why you would take one vs the other (not "I have XXXX get them", but why one vs the other).

if it matters for my suspension I'll have: koni struts, perrin 27mm front and rear sway bars, rallitek endlinks, AVO offset LCA bushings, AVO frnot LCA bushing. just needing the springs decided.

I do not believe Perrin makes 27mm bars. They make either 25mm or 22mm.

For the springs, it depends on your preference of the spring rates:

Eibach/Epic/MSI - 3.0-4.0 kg/mm front, 3.0-6.0 kg/mm rear

RalliTEK - 5.5-6.1 kg/mm front, 4.3-6.5 kg/mm rear

ahh yes, 25mm, not 27. sorry. to some extent I am unsure on how to apply the rates to the LGT. I understand higher rate, more resistance to compression, but not how much more firmness will be applied by X number of spring rate. and nobody I know has a LGT that is modified. only WRX I know has some tein S techs on stock AGX struts, so hard to get a good correlation.

with the koni, I'd imagine the dampening is more than enough for either one. regarding the epic, I do hear that they are not much more stiff than stock, which lead me to lean towards the rallitek. but I just dunno, since the rallitek seems to be the highest rate of springs on the market....