lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's some on eBay right now, which is where I got mine. Get the wagon springs and you might get away without having to install shims in the back. The drop still ends up looking slightly uneven because of the wheel gaps, but it sits more or less level.

There's some on eBay right now, which is where I got mine. Get the wagon springs and you might get away without having to install shims in the back. The drop still ends up looking slightly uneven because of the wheel gaps, but it sits more or less level.

how would the drop look uneven. I saw pics of swifts on other lgts and it looks great? or did they have shims(what are shims)

Uneven because the wheel gap is different between the front and rear. So you might have a two-finger gap up front and a one-finger gap out back. This is because of the shape of the fenders though, the car itself sits level. I prefer a bit of a rake (front slightly lower than the rear) since it results in even wheel gaps.

Do a search for "saggy butt" shims.

Is installing epic springs on stock struts with 120k a bad idea?

will ride comfort be crappy?

I would suggest saving up for struts/shocks and installing them together. Get it done right the first time and save yourself from doing/paying for the labor twice. You'll also be much happier with the performance result this way.

I would suggest saving up for struts/shocks and installing them together. Get it done right the first time and save yourself from doing/paying for the labor twice. You'll also be much happier with the performance result this way.

Agreed. You need new ones after 120k anyway.

Man, after all this snow I discovered the 1" I'm lowered (MSI springs) made a big difference in clearance (duh). So I got stuck when I tried to plow through in parking lots and in effect put the car on a snow lift with the snow humped up under the chassis and the wheels unable to contact the ground :spin:. What fun.

But, my question is: I don't want the car any lower, I want a firmer yet softer ride because the springs harshed the ride. I'll be installing thicker sways and end links if it ever stops snowing here. But I did want a more "plush" ride. Any struts fit the bill?

Is installing epic springs on stock struts with 120k a bad idea?

will ride comfort be crappy?

I only had 20k on my struts when I swapped them and after doing it, I wish I would have bought new struts. Not because the ride is bad, but because it was such a PITA. Would have been nice to be able to pull out the stock strut/spring assembly and just replace it with a new one all-together.

But, my question is: I don't want the car any lower, I want a firmer yet softer ride because the springs harshed the ride. I'll be installing thicker sways and end links if it ever stops snowing here. But I did want a more "plush" ride. Any struts fit the bill?

Are you still on stock struts? If so, your ride is likely harsh because the stock KYB struts have insufficient dampening w/ stock springs, much less lowered ones. If you want a stock height w/ better dampening, your best bet is to run Konis w/ stock springs or Bilsteins w/ JDM LGT springs.

Are you still on stock struts? If so, your ride is likely harsh because the stock KYB struts have insufficient dampening w/ stock springs, much less lowered ones. If you want a stock height w/ better dampening, your best bet is to run Konis w/ stock springs or Bilsteins w/ JDM LGT springs.

Yep, still on the stock struts. But I'm on MSI springs, I don't see an option in what you mentioned. Would the Bilsteins suit? What exact model are we talking about? I've heard they Bils drop the car even further. And thanks for the advice.

I've had Swifts on my car for about 4 years now on stock struts. I've not had a single problem. Now, that said, I'm going to start autoXing my car again soon, so I may blow out the stock struts pretty fast. BTW, I'm also running a JDM rear sway bar and urethane bushes on both sways.

• 3 weeks later...
GT111 did you find springs to get you a 1" drop on Bilsteins?

X2... I have a Spec B with stock suspension and it sits too damn high! was going to ask if just putting in springs on my stock struts would work ok... I did that with my old M3 but wanna hear other peoples happy/horror stories before I do it to my subi.

• 1 month later...
The close up pics tells the story better than the profile. I am on Bilstien shocks/Rallitek springs, lots of front squeaky/suspension travel noise( like over speed bumps). I don't know how to correct the horrible noise. Stock was quiet and now I've upgraded to great handling and the sound of a model T in the front over bumps, but looks like a fat man is sleeping in the back...

Front.jpg.04246633c80e1937771513c837ce70f0.jpg

Rear.jpg.2adeeb9491514d8074105515b8899838.jpg

1464002654_rearsquat.jpg.26bf879df695b047ab6fd77dd6bff541.jpg

The close up pics tells the story better than the profile. I am on Bilstien shocks/Rallitek springs, lots of front squeaky/suspension travel noise( like over speed bumps). I don't know how to correct the horrible noise. Stock was quiet and now I've upgraded to great handling and the sound of a model T in the front over bumps, but looks like a fat man is sleeping in the back...

That's the bilstein struts for you. Not the squeaking, but the wheel gaps. The bils just sit a bit higher in the front.

As for the squeaking, make sure everything is tight and then hit those sway bar bushings with some lithium grease.