LegacyGT.com

lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

I've heard swift springs are really nice. I don't know from any personal experience though.

I have eibach springs and koni inserts. They get stiff over large bumps, but I don't even notice the small ones. The drop is slight but looks great in my opinion.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/Cypher0117/lgt/IMG_0374a.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't do swift springs if you are looking for a non slammed ride. They are a bit too low and you will lose suspension travel . There are other options out there for a more reasonable drop (rallitecs, IONS etc) . With the Bilsteins you may have to use saggy butt spacers in the rear to even the stance out. While the Bilsteins are really good , I would steer you towards Koni's (Which I have) . Their adjustability is an added plus especially for autocross.

That Eibach/Koni setup By cypher looks like a really good option.

Here is my wagon on Koni's and IONS taking a turn on a X -cross course

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0ce39b3127ccefb30a608f69700000030O00AaN2zRq2aNWYPbz4U/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

Edited by peteyjr
added pic

I appreciate the input!

My next question. Would the koni inserts combined with Epic Engineering Springs be similar/comparable to the setups mentioned above?

Does anyone have a link to a vender for the koni inserts? What is involved in installing the koni inserts? I saw one thread where you have to drill, I'd prefer not to compromise stock parts in the event of going back to stock.

Koni/EE would look like the Koni/Eibach pictured above since they're the same springs. It's a milder drop than Swifts, which IMO, is a good thing since our cars dont have much suspension travel to begin with.

Fred Beans put together a pretty good DIY here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/koni-shock-strut-epic-engineering-spring-install-145744.html

If you want peace of mind, I suggest purchasing a used set of front struts. I did that myself and easily sold it to the next guy who wants a back-up for the Koni install. It's honestly not that complicated, just take your time and get the cutting and drilling done right.

Thanks for the link N.sane, I probably will buy an extra set. The adjustability of ride firmness definitely is a nice option with the konis.

Blue, do you know if the squeaky rear springs are a common thing with Epic springs? If it is, does this happen with Eibachs as well?

Every once in a while I'll hear my rears 'groan'. I wouldn't call it a squeak as there is no high frequencies that I can hear.

When I do hear it though, my stereo has to be off, open windows, quiet out, low speed (to keep road noise from hiding it) and I have to hit a fairly good sized bump (speed bump sized). Even then they don't always make the 'groaning' noise.

Every once in a while I'll hear my rears 'groan'. I wouldn't call it a squeak as there is no high frequencies that I can hear.

When I do hear it though, my stereo has to be off, open windows, quiet out, low speed (to keep road noise from hiding it) and I have to hit a fairly good sized bump (speed bump sized). Even then they don't always make the 'groaning' noise.

It doesn't seem like it's a huge issue then. I'll probably end up going with konis and epics, especially after seeing that red legacy with the same set up in the fred beans thread.

Good choice/setup. You can also get Koni's from tirerack. MSprank from Infamous tuning on this board used to provide a service where he had cores and would do the cuts for you. Don't know if he still does.

I appreciate the input!

My next question. Would the koni inserts combined with Epic Engineering Springs be similar/comparable to the setups mentioned above?

Does anyone have a link to a vender for the koni inserts? What is involved in installing the koni inserts? I saw one thread where you have to drill, I'd prefer not to compromise stock parts in the event of going back to stock.

It seems like most of you replace the struts along with the springs. My Bilstein's only have 15k miles on them so I'd rather not swap them out just yet.

I need a good daily driver spring that has a mild drop. Just looking to even up the wheel gap. Nothing too crazy.

It seems like most of you replace the struts along with the springs. My Bilstein's only have 15k miles on them so I'd rather not swap them out just yet.

I need a good daily driver spring that has a mild drop. Just looking to even up the wheel gap. Nothing too crazy.

definitely wouldn't change your struts. mine had 75k on them, so that's why I changed them at the same time. I would go with rallitek or eibachs on bilsteins

I'm looking at doing springs but hesitant because I have a factory warranty and not sure if i want to void my struts. Anyone have any experience with eibachs on stock struts and how long the stock struts last? I have already had two struts replaced by the dealer and if I can get the other two, I am definatley doing springs...

I'm looking at doing springs but hesitant because I have a factory warranty and not sure if i want to void my struts. Anyone have any experience with eibachs on stock struts and how long the stock struts last? I have already had two struts replaced by the dealer and if I can get the other two, I am definatley doing springs...

How many miles do you have on your stock struts? I had ~37k on mine when I put on the Epic springs (rebranded Eibachs). For ~2k miles, I commuted to NY for work (read: one of the worst roads) and noticed that I had started hitting the bump stops over mild bumps and potholes.

After those ~2k miles, I upgraded to the Konis. MUCH better and more compliant ride IME. Very comfortable as well when set to the softer settings. There are some on here that do run Eibachs/Epics on stock struts with no problems, but that depends on the miles on the struts, how and where you drive.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

I had my Vogtland springs (which are very similar to Eibachs) on stock struts for almost 3 years. After a while, the ride starts to get bouncy and as mentioned above, you will start hitting the bump stops. The stock struts are simply too underdampened for aftermarket springs.

I also upgraded to the Koni's 4 months ago. Ride's much smoother on the softer settings and you can make it really planted on the firmer settings. The car feels much more controlled overall.

I would highly suggest against aftermarket springs with stock struts. It will save you headaches and money in the long run if you do both springs and struts together (do it all in one job instead of two separate jobs).

Use HD Bilsteins with Pinks that match your vehicle ....

That's what these cars were designed to use....

Works fine.....

What kind of drop does that set up provide? *edit* I guess I could just look up the springs lol

*edit again* And what is a reputable vendor for Pinks? Found Edo Performance.

Anyone have pics of this set up?

Edited by 1stick3pedals

What kind of drop does that set up provide? *edit* I guess I could just look up the springs lol

*edit again* And what is a reputable vendor for Pinks? Found Edo Performance.

Anyone have pics of this set up?

Newly-installed (1-week old) Bilstein HDs on Legacy STi Pinks (Sedan), with 3/8" Saggy Butt spacers for the rear struts:

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/5352/toronto2011103100171.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic and dirty car. :p

EDIT: I got my Pinks from Japanparts and Bilsteins from Infamous Performance (but they ordered them from Tirerack).

Looks good Geegeez! Will that set up with the saggy butt spacer provide similar results on essentially all legacies or is every car different to some degree?

Mine is a 5EAT sedan, so it's a bit heavier than a MT sedan. Similarly I think there would be differences with the 5EAT wagon and MT wagon. I used 3/8" but the vendor that I got them from (Mach V) makes them in 1/2" and 1/4" too I think. So it depends on which Legacy you have. I've seen pics on this forum of people with spacers and still had the saggy butt on the rear struts.

Also, the type of Pinks you use on the rear struts will be a factor. I opted for sedan/5EAT springs all around, but I know some use the wagon springs in the back just to avoid the saggy butt.

Just to note, I recall doing a search here and it said that if you use 3/8" spacers you did not have to use extended studs. I actually found that this was NOT the case and I did have to use extended ones. I don't know if this was just on my car or what, but the spacers were indeed 3/8" thick. Also, the stud holes didn't line up properly and I had to enlarge them somewhat to fit.