LegacyGT.com

lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

How is the ride quality, swifts vs. eibachs?

I havent put too many miles on since the swap, but my initial impressions are good.

I think that for the amount of drop the Swifts offer combined with an even stance for the wagon (they are wagon specific) they are good springs. I just dont think they were matched with the correct strut (stock KYB). If I had them with Bilsteins they would probably be an excellent choice for someone who wanted the drop they offer with a good ride and handling.

The Eibachs on the other hand were apparently made and tested with the stock struts and match pretty well with the stocker KYB's. I will eventually do the Koni inserts because I believe it would be an even better match with the Eibachs. I dont race my car on a track, or am into auto-x like some are on this forum. My wagon is my DD and I want as near to perfect combo of sportiness/comfort as possible. From the little time ive had the Eibachs on, they feel good...not a whole lot different from the Swifts but there is a noticeable positive difference. One example: speed bumps. I no longer have to almost creep over speed bumps, I can actually feel the suspension absorb the speed bump more since the swap instead of previous. Im happy I found a set and think I will probably be happy with these for some time.;)

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are right there. The Instructions are pretty lame but if you take your measurement from the top of the strut cap(anodized piece) you will be alright the rest of the way. I know this because I tried cut my first one from the bottom of the cap and had to make a second cut. The goal here is to make it so you have to tap the insert in (it has two protrusions (tits) to secure the top) part of the way and then after you drill your 14mm hole in the bottom you can draw it down the rest of the way. They tell you 14 mm so you have wiggle room on the machined bolt but if you get it centered you only need a 12mm hole. If you don't have metric drills that would be a 9/16th for 14mm and approx 1/2" for the more accurate hole. No worries..just take your time. Make it all sweet, straight cuts, deburr and clean. I had fun doing it. Your suposed to right?:lol: IMO I would use a center punch on the bottom to mark your hole and drill a 1/4 inch hole (you can step up from there) and let it drain over a bucket for a few minutes. Pump the fluid out until it is mostly air. Good luck, enjoy!

^^^ I have some Swifts for sale in the classifieds(wagon specific). They would probably match well with the Bilstein HD's. ;):rolleyes: Edited by noswad
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

Swifts too stiff for what I am looking for...

So, from my small research,

Eibach are no longer made...

Ion's are wagon & Bilstien HD spec'd. But are a bit comparatively expensive

Rallitech only make one spring for both sedan & wagon but some like it on the wagon/Bil-HD setup.

Tein Htech - Do they make a wagon version? Any likes/dislikes with a Bil HD?

My needs are simple. DD wagon that has only been tracked once and probably won't again. I see a lot of time in the snow and on fire roads in the summer. I already have Bilstein HD's on stock springs + Spec B tophat & 3/8 spacer on the rear. I like the ride but sometimes feel like there is too much dampening from the shocks which I feel like a hard landing rather then firm. I have read where some folks say that a stiffer spring mates up nicer with the BilHD. Is this true? I am still learning the finer points of spring & shock combo's. So any suggestions for springs that might fit my need nicely would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mbcracken

More than one person here found the swifts a little to low or stiff for their liking . Underdog mated them with Koni's and found the ride too harsh. My main issue was lack of suspension travel and constantly hitting parking barriors with my ravspec lip. They are good springs just a bit too low to be practical. I loved the look

@Noswad the eibachs (with the spacer) IMO look way more appropriate for that ride.... I like it a lot. The fender arches fit over the wheels PERFECTLY. Mm. I also like your description of the ride.

@NZGT I don't think stock Outback springs would even fit in Bilstein HDs and if I did cram them in there they would be so compressed they are really not designed to function that way... I have a feeling they would be a terrible match as far as spring rate/dampening rate but I appreciate the suggestion nonetheless.

I am becoming more and more curious about these Koni inserts, like some of you it's my daily driver and needs good all around balance.. no autox or tracking whatsoever. just crazy sporty driving habits :)

Sounds like there just isn't a spring set that has good balanced sporty performance at a truly stock legacy height or only-slightly-lowered outback height. I talked to Rallitek and they are supposedly developing a spring set for Outbacks as they have risen in popularity last few years. I was told to look for something in Q1 2010. Might wait and see...

Here's my experience with BC Racing BR Type on an OB.

http://subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20640

Note the suspension travel is reduced from stock to 3" front and 2.5" rear. If your roads are good then this won't be much of a problem. But if you are in a snowy winter zone you will be bottoming out this suspension.

I also thing the 6/8kg springs are a little too stiff for rough road daily driving. I was thinking of getting a 4kg spring for the front and move the 6kg to the rear. That's still stiffer than stock and may be a good compromise. But that experiment will not happen till the spring. I popped my stock suspension back in for winter here in Ottawa (and now the OB feels like a land yacht again).

I've also considered this option from Bilstein:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114243

I plan on having my OB until the body rusts off it, so in the long run this may be the best alternative.

@NZGT I don't think stock Outback springs would even fit in Bilstein HDs and if I did cram them in there they would be so compressed they are really not designed to function that way... I have a feeling they would be a terrible match as far as spring rate/dampening rate but I appreciate the suggestion nonetheless.

My suggestion was to use stock LEGACY springs with Bilstein HDs, not Outback springs. This would lower your car to Legacy level and give a decent performance upgrage

Hey everyone,

What would you guys suggest for my 2003 Legacy L?

I live in the suburbs of Chicago but will also be doing a lot of highway driving too and from Normal for school. I really want to lower my car because I know it'll look so much better that way.

Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

I have put on a set of H&R sport springs. These are 17's 215/50 serise Kuhmo KW23's.

here are 2 pics... yes I know my car is dirty... :(

Before....

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj338/1nameneeded/DSCF0962.jpg

After 6 days and appprox 1000 highway kms...

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj338/1nameneeded/DSCF0971.jpg

Hope these help... over all I have had about 1" drop in front and 1.2" in rear... really hoping that the front will settle some more or I may shim up the rear a bit.

Edited by kinder

I installed Cobb springs yesterday on my LGT wagon with Bilsteins and they have only given me a 3/4" drop all round. I know the Bilteins have different tophats and don't go as low as standard GT shocks, but I thought it would have gone a little lower???

I've heard of people talk about springs settling, has anyone had their Cobbs settle and go a little lower after a few weeks???

I installed Cobb springs yesterday on my LGT wagon with Bilsteins and they have only given me a 3/4" drop all round. I know the Bilteins have different tophats and don't go as low as standard GT shocks, but I thought it would have gone a little lower???

I've heard of people talk about springs settling, has anyone had their Cobbs settle and go a little lower after a few weeks???

Aren't Cobbs springs designed for use with the stock KYB struts and not Bilsteins?