LegacyGT.com

lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

Cobb list a 1.75" front and 1" rear drop

The only difference I'm aware of is the Bilstein front top hats which makes the car sit around 1/2" heigher than stock KYB's. I also considered the wagon sits around 1/4" lower in the rear than sedans (which is what Cobb measures are taken from)

So taking this all into account I should have got a 1.5" front drop and 1.25" rear drop

Edited by NZGT

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wait, they will settle. I've been through three spring changes in the last two years (1 on my WRX and 2 on my LGT). Every time its WTF why has it not lowered that much? Within a few weeks they will settle and drop anouther 1/2 in or possibly more.

I installed Cobb springs yesterday on my LGT wagon with Bilsteins and they have only given me a 3/4" drop all round. I know the Bilteins have different tophats and don't go as low as standard GT shocks, but I thought it would have gone a little lower???

I've heard of people talk about springs settling, has anyone had their Cobbs settle and go a little lower after a few weeks???

See my post #90 here for break-in numbers:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111909&page=6

Ok, update on the Cobb springs . . . now having over 1500 miles on them the ride has become more harsh now that they've settled in. The stance looks simply phenomenal, however, decent bumps/pot holes freakin hurt. I've definitely bottomed out the front end a couple times. With that said, in my personal opinion: if you don't mind having to dodge/slow down for bumps+holes and you do lots of meets/shows, go Cobb . . . if you want a more liveable DD, I suggest Eibach's.

Here's a good pic of the final stance:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu325/tunedlgt/IMG_2148-edited.jpg

That sits really well, so with the Bilsteins my front should sit around 0.5-0.75" heigher than that? Why the hell do Bilsteins have a heigher front and same rear??

So I've wanted to lower my wagon for a while now, but the reason I got the wagon was to carry heavy equipment.

Because of that I've looked at h-techs, since they give a little bit of a drop, so I'd still be able to carry some stuff. Also theres pinks, which are a slight drop.

Does anyone have any experience with a lowered wagon, while still carrying a lot of heavy stuff in the trunk?

I guess it all depends on how much id be carrying and how much the drop would be. Any suggestions though?

I had swifts on my wagon and carried heavy loads once in a while (heavy music equipment) they made my wagon look like a slammed lowrider. Much better now that I have swifts but still a tad low. They make spacers for the rears and I will probably go the route.

For those still looking for Eibachs, a quick google search produced a few links right off the bat ;) Get them while you can, I love my Eibachs.

http://www.autocarparts.com/part/274/6256

http://www.mosaicmotorsports.com/eibach-lowering-spring-subaru-legacy-turbo-2005-2009-p-7093.html

http://www.directtuning.com/store/pc-25175-60-eibach.aspx

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

I had swifts on my wagon and carried heavy loads once in a while (heavy music equipment) they made my wagon look like a slammed lowrider. Much better now that I have swifts but still a tad low. They make spacers for the rears and I will probably go the route.

I think you meant to say you have iONS now????

For those still looking for Eibachs, a quick google search produced a few links right off the bat ;) Get them while you can, I love my Eibachs.

http://www.autocarparts.com/part/274/6256

http://www.mosaicmotorsports.com/eibach-lowering-spring-subaru-legacy-turbo-2005-2009-p-7093.html

http://www.directtuning.com/store/pc-25175-60-eibach.aspx

I have been assured from Eibach that they have not shipped any of their kits in some time. Unless a vendor has had them sitting on their shelf collecting dust for awhile, they will not be able to order them.

Due to our relationship with Eibach, we have been able to get them to do a private label production run for us, and their is a GB running now in the vendor GB section here :

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129387

oh wow, so I guess even if I were to go a more subtle drop route, like h-techs or pinks, I'd still be able to carry a decent amount of stuff? I was expecting if you dropped that low on swifts, you wouldnt be able to carry a lot.

I have been assured from Eibach that they have not shipped any of their kits in some time.

Right, they have been discontinued.

Unless a vendor has had them sitting on their shelf collecting dust for awhile, they will not be able to order them.

Yes probably leftover stock that hasnt sold.

Due to our relationship with Eibach, we have been able to get them to do a private label production run for us

Good luck on your GB, if they turn out like the discontinued Eibachs for the Legacy they will be nice springs and 250 shipped is a decent price as well compared to other options.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

oh wow, so I guess even if I were to go a more subtle drop route, like h-techs or pinks, I'd still be able to carry a decent amount of stuff? I was expecting if you dropped that low on swifts, you wouldnt be able to carry a lot.

Never had any rubbing issues in the rear. Just make sure you upgrade the dampers on swifts or you may hit the bump stops often after the stockers wear out (usually less than a year on swifts)

I have a Spec B with the stock USDM Bilstein shocks. Will the drop be the same if I go with Eibach springs? I've done a search but didn't seem to find anyone with this set up.

I see that Rallitek advertised that their springs has less drop on the

spec B compare to the GT? Is this also true with Eibach prokit? Does anyone know why there is a differece?

Can someone please answer this as I'm about to pull the trigger soon on springs for my specB and these would be ideal for my situation. :confused:

Spec-B uses different springs than the std legacy GT, so ride height is slight different as well. That being said, the drop is less based on the OE height of the spec B compared to std. If you measure the height from the center of the axle to the fender ledge, it would be the same for both AFTER a spring install.

-mark

Spec-B uses different springs than the std legacy GT, so ride height is slight different as well. That being said, the drop is less based on the OE height of the spec B compared to std. If you measure the height from the center of the axle to the fender ledge, it would be the same for both AFTER a spring install.

-mark

I am under the impression that a Spec-B won't be as low with the same aftermarket springs fitted?? I've just Cobbs in mine and it still looks stock!

Example (I don't know the exact numbers):

BEFORE

Legacy GT : 12"

Spec B : 11"

You install springs that lower the car 1".

This is for lowering, I am not taking the performance change due to spring rate differences into account.

AFTER

Legacy GT : 11"

Spec B : 11"

NOW, same situation, but you install a spring that drops 1.5" on the same shocks.

AFTER

Legacy GT : 10.5"

Spec B : 10.5"

Your spec B would be .5" lower.

I don't know the number, and do not have OEM shock lengths on hand either. I AM ASSUMING.

The main performance gain would be to the difference in spring rates, not so much the ride height.

Yes, a lower center of gravity is good, but too a point. Also, on a car like the SPEC-B, what you will appreciate more is the change in spring rates, not the ride-height.

-mark

I put on the H&R springs (rated to provide 1.5" drop) and I got a 3/4" drop on the front and about the same on the rear. Right now my rear is .25" lower than the front. Spec B's start taller than GT's from the get go. Something like .5" i think. (I'd have to check my manual.

That said while not a very big diff in looks they are proving to be a bit stiffer in ride and a massive difference in handling! Car feels more like my wife's Mini Cooper S in the corners. (Hers is still faster in the corners though. :( )I can't wait for spring to really push it and see what I can do.

Here is the wiki of rates for other springs though...

well after much reading and searching of this thread i didnt see one post about a 3.0r with any of these springs. i also am having a hard time finding on eibach site any springs listed for my model/year.

does anyone know of any fitment issues of a 3.0r (stock bilsteins) with eibach springs?

• 2 weeks later...