lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well after much reading and searching of this thread i didnt see one post about a 3.0r with any of these springs. i also am having a hard time finding on eibachs site any springs listed for my model/year.

does anyone know of any fitment issues of a 3.0r (stock bilsteins) with eibach springs?

anyone?

Last I heard, Eibach stopped making springs for our cars... you'll need to go to a different brand to get an Eibach-equivalent spring. I thought MSI was making one (group buy section)?

I would also recommend getting the right struts with the spring, rather than just blindly using the stockers. Struts and springs should always be considered a matched set - if you stiffen and lower the spring, you need to get a better-suited strut to match it.

does anyone know of any fitment issues of a 3.0r (stock bilsteins) with eibach springs?

Eibachs are designed for the stock LGT KYB front struts and top hats rather than the Bilsteins that came on the Spec B and your 3.0R. The fronts will be end up being approximately 5/8" higher than they would be on the KYB struts and tophats. Your best bet would be to use a spring that's designed for use with Bilsteins such as pinks, Swifts, Ions, etc.

I don't know this myself, but I simply want to point out that "stock Bilsteins" may not be valved the same as the JDMs or HDs... so they still could be less-than-ideal for a stiffer spring.

Again, I don't know if this is the case or not, but I simply mentioned it to make sure that the spring and strut are reasonably matched.

That being said, Bilstein makes a great strut, so it may tolerate slight differences in valving better than the stock non-Bilsteins... I simply don't know.

I don't know this myself, but I simply want to point out that "stock Bilsteins" may not be valved the same as the JDMs or HDs... so they still could be less-than-ideal for a stiffer spring.

I believe stock USDM Spec B and 3.0R Bilsteins are the same as JDM LGT Rev. C. Bilstein HDs are more stiffly valved.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61108

Pinks are a pretty mild upgrade and should work w/ the bump stop mod.

I believe stock USDM Spec B and 3.0R Bilsteins are the same as JDM LGT Rev. C. Bilstein HDs are more stiffly valved.

If that's the case then get them re-valved 20% stiffer. I've done that with my JDM 2.0GT and the handling was greatly improved and ride is still nice

Not sure if that's accurate. The link you provided says:

What are Pinks?

Pinks are lowering springs designed and sold by STI branch of Subaru. Compared to stock JDM cars lower the car all around 15mm.

Pinks are not designed for stock struts and result in crappy ride. If mated to stokers they lower more like 25mm.

and:

Can I use JDM springs on USDM stock dampeners?

Yes. However they will drop the car more in front compared to JDM suspension. The reason is that lower spring perch on the front struts is actually located lower compared to Bilsteins. Ascetically this is good as it results in more even stance, however
I do not believe USDM struts/shocks can handle stiffer lowering springs.
[emphasis mine]

Lastly:

How USDM SpecB Bilsteins compare to JDM Bilsteins?

USDM SpecB Bilsteins are identical to JDM GT Rev.C Bilsteins, see above.

Note that last bit says the SpecB Bilsteins are identical to JDM GT-Cs... but theflystyle has a 3.0R... I don't know if those Bilsteins are the same as SpecB Bilsteins. (It would make sense for them to be the same, but again, just because it says Bilstein doesn't meant they're valved the same... which is why I brought all this up.

this is from cars101.com:

GT spec.B: Bilstein inverted front struts, aluminum alloy front control arms and rear control arms and upper links

3.0R: Bilstein front struts.

My car still has the yellow struts front and rear. I need to find more information regarding the rears.

I've got JDM 2.0GT factory bilsteins and they look the same as the JDM SpecB externally, but the ride is a LOT different between the two. The JDM SpecB shocks are way too stiff and had many complaints, hence why they softened them in the 07 facelift

S-techs will fit stock struts but do yourself a favor and get the Koni adjustable and up grade. I have had them for several months and love them. The ride is a little rough on pot holes but it worth it track days and better roads.

S-techs will fit stock struts but do yourself a favor and get the Koni adjustable and up grade. I have had them for several months and love them. The ride is a little rough on pot holes but it worth it track days and better roads.

+ 1 for Koni's. Worth saving up for.

I just had all four corners setup with new Ion Springs and Bilstein HD's. I sure liked the ride home from the shop. We'll see how much they drop over the next couple weeks but sure look a lot like stock height right now.

Cheers,

Mike

From my understanding the Eibach prokit is one of the better choices for these cars because you dont have to get spacers for the rear to make the car look more level. I joined the group buy on them through MSI. I can not wait to get these on my car and reduce the fender gap.