LegacyGT.com

Bilstein BTS Outback XT kit pictures

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What tire size were you running on the 18" wheels? I hadn't thought about potential issues with 18" wheels. Right now, I'm running stock wheels, but running 17"s with the stock tire size is starting to really limit my tire choices. In the summer, I like to run max performance tires (GY Eagle F1's right now, not available in stock size anymore).

245/45 on the 18x8 tarmac 3s

• 7 months later...

Revival bump, just installed the BTS kit purchased used from JMP on this site.

Can't rave enough about the 5056 system, hands down the best option for DD duties. With some sway bar upgrades it could even dodge some cones however I'm not going that route quite yet.

Side note, as noted in a thread on OB.com the rear struts have 5 grooves cut into the body to adjust spring height/preload. Today I moved it to the highest point, originally at center, and can tell you this makes the system "complete".

Prior there was a slight drop in ride height of 1/2" plus the rear felt a bit soft relative to the fronts ( altho tons better than stock ). Moving the rear lower perches recovered 3/8" height and firmed up the ride. On local speed hump/rollers I could hit the stops at 20mph, now they barely touch at 30.

Impatient I'll update the OB thread shortly. If you had any reservations about tweaking your ADM rears believe me it was well worth it!

Hey ktmrider -

Glad you like the (JDM) Bilstein BTS 5056 kit. Our MY05 Outback XT continues to drive all the better with the BTS kit. 20k miles since the upgrade.

+1 to an uprated rear sway bar.

The elephant in the room is the brakes, the brakes, the brakes....

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Hey ktmrider -

Glad you like the (JDM) Bilstein BTS 5056 kit. Our MY05 Outback XT continues to drive all the better with the BTS kit. 20k miles since the upgrade.

+1 to an uprated rear sway bar.

The elephant in the room is the brakes, the brakes, the brakes....

Thx MS, followed your/this thread with huge envy since the day I got my OBXT. I just aSSuMed the LGT suspension bits were the same, had GT revC 'Steins on my LGT and missed them big time.

Brakes were another "oh heck" by SOA and a difference I was not aware of, hated them from the first lockup attempt. Swapped out for some LGT stoppers F&R including SS lines and ST pads. Must-do IMO for all OBXT owners.

Appreciate your time and updates, will try and do the same!

Swapped out for some LGT stoppers F&R including SS lines and ST pads. Must-do IMO for all OBXT owners.

How much of an improvement was there? I realize it won't come close to big brake kit for stopping performance or feel, but overall? It's been years since I drove an LGT so I don't remember what the brakes were like.

Here's the link for reference info: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/outback-brakes-and-rotors-38676.html

It's more that the OB brakes are so much smaller than the LGT items, extra weight of the OB and power of the OBXT show how spindly the stock stuff is. If I had to put a number out the modulation and power improved by 20% much like the difference I saw when using Brembos on my old LGT.

• 1 month later...

Been awhile, work travel has kept me busy.

I bought an 05 LGT with BC suspension bits while in CA and drove it for 3 weeks. Returned home to the OBXT for 5 days, love the Bilstein stuff that much more. Total bliss, to quote Ferris Bueller, "If you have the means I highly suggest one/some."

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
I performed the LGT brake upgrade and LOVE it! Got LGT calipers/stoptech blanks/stoptech pads and the difference is night and day. The difference in the rear being vented rotors and the fronts are about and inch larger diameter. This was an H6 by the way.

I was referring to the shocks, of which this thread is for.

BTW, if you had done just the pads, you probably would have had a similar improvement.

My bad on the reply your response wasn't directed that way but I get it, no harm done... absolutely disagree, I had upgraded ST pads before the GT conversion. Night and day friend. I apologize for the offtopic however. Enjoy!

• 3 months later...

There is a guy in Porirua (Wellington), New Zealand with a set of used BTS 5056 springs for sale. I saw them on TradeMe.co. I can't register since I don't live in NZ or AU. Anyone know him (TradeMe account is duchess_de....of course it might not be a "him")? I would like to buy them but don't know how to reach "him." So, I guess this post does one of 2 things. Either:

1) alerts someone else who might want them and can bid in NZ, or

2) lets someone who know him, or knows of another listing for them on a forum I can subscribe to, somehow help me get in touch with "him" about them.

• 2 weeks later...
Revival bump, just installed the BTS kit purchased used from JMP on this site.

Can't rave enough about the 5056 system, hands down the best option for DD duties. With some sway bar upgrades it could even dodge some cones however I'm not going that route quite yet.

Hey ktmrider -

Glad to hear of another BTS suspension convert, how many is that now?

.. 4 or 5 years and 25k miles has pasted since our BTS install - I can report all is well with the Subi, although it’s worth mentioning the cars pampered duty cycle.

Monday: Up and out of the garage by 5am starting a 50 mile hwy/airport run – parked at ATL until Thursday evening for the 50 mile hwy run home. – pretty lite duty for any car. The BTS suspension feels the same since new.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Archived