LegacyGT.com

Bilstein BTS Outback XT kit pictures

Dispatch, don't worry about it. :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will most likely email bilstein usa and send them a few pics and that video. We'll see what they say.

As a side note, I took the springs off because I was planning to 'rust proof' the shock body using some clear rustoleum, so they stay mint in case I sell them in the future. Still not sure if I'll really do this though.

At the moment, I am also waiting for the lift kit to arrive and test the whole thing on the car. So no progress at all..

I think I will stop posting here and will probably create a separate thread for this 'build'. :spin:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this - So maybe if you use normal tophats you will raise the front of the car more. Still searching. I now I have seen this exact information with an Outback switching out top hats.

The spec B or the GroupN mounts will be a better choice. You will need to add in a SS Washer from Lowes or Home Depot under the conical washer in order for the Spec B tops or the Group N tops to work. Even though the Group N are pricey, they are worth it.

-mike

duh, JDM suspension FAQ - just need to check that the BTS kit threaded portion of the strut is the same as the normal Bilstein strut.

What are the JDM tophats?

JDM cars use different front top hats (mounts). The USDM top hats cannot be used on JDM OEM Bilsteins (or other struts like Ohlins, Tokicos, Bilsteis HDs) - the USDM top hat has taller bearing and the threaded portion of the strut rod is too short and will not allow for safe installation. Pictures that compare JDM and USDM top hats are located here. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/kw-coilovers-install-questions-top-hats-59710.html?t=59710&highlight=top+hats

By the way, JDM top hats are beefier, the bearing in them is huge compared to USDM one. Thet are much stiffer, help steering response and contribute and to the "road feel" - there is much less play in the top hat. USDM top hat is very rubbery and clearly designed for comfy ride.

The JDM and USDM names are customary - JDM top hats refer to top hats used on Bilsteins, including Bilsteins on USDM Legacy SpecB. USDM top hats are used on some JDM cars, not sure which but are used on some Outbacks. Note, interestingly AusDM 2.0i or 2.5i cars seem to use JDM top hats on KYB struts.

Do JDM tophats raise the front of the car?

I compared these top hats side by side and they seem to locate bottom of the bearing at the same height with respect to the chassis, so the top hat should not affect ride height. This is moot question since the top hats are not interchangeable, with the exception of KW Variant 2 coilovers.

I don't believe non "Spec B" style strut top hats are permissible with any Bilstein strut; Legacy GT / Outback application etc....

... IIRC,, waaay back in '08 when myself and Outback XT owners alike had discovered the "made for Japan Domestic Market (JDM)only" Bilstein BTS 5056 suspension kit ... the USA vs JDM strut hat fitment was brought to rest... "she no fit"

Man-O-man... seems the JDM Bilstein BTS kit thread has developed a loyal OB XT following. Our MY05 Outback XT continues to benefit from the BTS kit enhancement. Just recently '17 installed the uprated Moog brand F/R sway bar links. A very good "bang for your $ buck" coupled with the slightly larger diameter rear sway bar from the JDM Subaru car..

As an aside: Fitted a 4 set of Michelins Pilot Sport A/S 3 sneakers in OE size 225/55/HR17" for a 3 season tire on the Outback XT. The tire model P.S. A/S 3 is in a H.P. tire category with sacrificed/reduced tread life as expected. My 10yo daily driver a MY06 VW GTI/GLI (225/45/HR17) is on a 2nd tire set getting btw 26K - 28K miles life span. (change out worn tires before wear is close to the wear bars. If you wore the tires out to the wear bars there life would increase by 5K to 7K miles.) Took a flier on the summer only Michelin Pilot Super Sports for the GTI ... Great freakin tire compound ... but the limited tread life was just over 20K miles...

Anyway, great to understand the Bilstein BTS kit has served the USA MY05 thru '09 Outback XT owners well.

Cheers, Mike

I know I said I will stop posting here, but I guess I thought wrong :lol:

I have a fairly random question. Is it possible to use the oem usdm outback front top hats instead of the spec b on the bilstein shocks?

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

I appreciate the feedback once again. So it sounds like it just wouldn't work anyway because of how tall the usdm top hat is and the lack of available thread on the bilstein strut rod to account for it. But you did say someone was able to make them fit though..

Essentially, I am asking this because the lift kit I just received was designed for the OEM USDM outback top hats. So, the front spacers don't fit on the spec B top hat. The fabricator is suggesting to swap top hats. But my gut feelings tell me that the spec B ones are just better.

Essentially, I am asking this because the lift kit I just received was designed for the OEM USDM outback top hats. So, the front spacers don't fit on the spec B top hat. The fabricator is suggesting to swap top hats. But my gut feelings tell me that the spec B ones are just better.

Yes, I used a jigsaw on my poly spacers to get them to fit. Ran them like this for 5-6 years.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3648409&postcount=21

• 1 month later...

I finally took the time to create my thread :spin:. Here is the link: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bonbons-bilstein-bts-kit-260197.html

So please go over there and contribute if you wish. Tema, do you recall exactly which specs of the rear dampers your Rally guy modified? If you know the info, could you please post it on my thread. Planning to send the rear dampers this week or next for a rebuild and for some mods as well. Just like you, I am still not satisfied with the rear..

• 5 months later...

Should I go with 5056 or 5058 for an OBXT with 5EAT? I'm thinking 5058 since the curb weight of an XT with 5EAT is almost the same as the 3.0R.

- 2.5i 5sp 3360 lbs

- 2.5i 4EAT 3480 lbs (BTS-5056J)

- XT 5sp 3546 lbs

- XT 5EAT 3616 lbs

- 3.0R 5EAT 3631 lbs (BTS-5058J)

Should I go with 5056 or 5058 for an OBXT with 5EAT? I'm thinking 5058 since the curb weight of an XT with 5EAT is almost the same as the 3.0R.

- 2.5i 5sp 3360 lbs

- 2.5i 4EAT 3480 lbs (BTS-5056J)

- XT 5sp 3546 lbs

- XT 5EAT 3616 lbs

- 3.0R 5EAT 3631 lbs (BTS-5058J)

I'd buy the one that's less expensive. I bought the 5058 for my 3.0R, and I paid more to get it over the 5056. If I did it again, I'm just go with the 5056. But truthfully, if I did it again I'd just get KYBs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Got my 5058 kit installed last week on a 3.0. Got a few hundred miles on them and gotta say I'm very happy with them. Car rides great.

Question though. Everyone reported around a 3/4 to 1" drop. I have zero drop all around. Middle of center cap to fender is 17"s before and after. No biggie, but a small drop would have been nice.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks Skibump,

WOuld you mind adding a bit more about the before/after ride/handling/noise characteristics and trade-offs for your new suspension - what improved, what stayed the same, what got worst and what would you like to see/hear improve even further, beyond this kit?

Thanks!

(I got a 500+hp OBXT and can use a good suspension upgrade, no racing, just a DD :)

Thanks Skibump,

WOuld you mind adding a bit more about the before/after ride/handling/noise characteristics and trade-offs for your new suspension - what improved, what stayed the same, what got worst and what would you like to see/hear improve even further, beyond this kit?

Thanks!

(I got a 500+hp OBXT and can use a good suspension upgrade, no racing, just a DD :)

I've severely enjoyed my fortune auto 500's. When I took them off for the winter I felt like I lost 75hp.

• 1 year later...

Archived