LegacyGT.com

Bilstein BTS Outback XT kit pictures

JDMParts.com has already been asked to do a group buy...they said no. They sell them for around 2K...for spring and struts only which if you have to buy everything else, install and align...2.5K just to get into the party.

The German kits are basically for the spec b car. they do not fit our car...see previous page.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Option One:

Here's my take on a Group Buy. Arrange quanity pricing directly with Hirano-Tire Co in Japan, having Bilstein Japan ship directly to the states. Or someting along those lines. See if Bilstein Japan would cater to a drop ship arrangement, their customer would continue to be Hirano Tire Co. As far as comunication, there's the resource at your local college language department. Put an RFP (request for porposal) together and email it to Hirano-Tire Co with a CC to Bilstein Japan. With a little effort on the Bilstein Japan's side a nice sale could be made.

Edit: I should note, my sale had Hirano-Tire Co taking the order with Bilstein Japan shipping the BTS carton to my co-workers home address in Tokyo. At least this is my understanding.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Option Two:

Another approach ~ Bilstein Japan ships to Bilstein USA, who in turn sells to a Bilstein dealer who is agreeable to a short sale to us knuckle heads as a pre-arranged group buy.

Etc.

The Bilstein is just what the doctor ordered for the Outback XT to be a viable car, that being said I may buy another XT before there gone from the dealership's inventory... For that I'll need another BTS Kit.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Option Three: (DOA)

Yet another approach Bilstein Deutschland deliver's an amount of pre-sold BTS kits to Bilstein USA with Bilstein Japan getting there cut. Bilstein USA sells the kits “As Is” with no warranty obligations. In the event of a warranty issue it’s btw the customer and Bilstein Japan …. Getting complicated isn’t it …

Cheers, Mike

I think this will be my winter set up if all goes well...down on the ground for summer! Just had West End Alignment in Torrance do a corner weight and alignment...about as low as this car can go with Megans. Car handles like it should...now it's time to build a winter set up that actually handles well!!!

Maybe if you put together a parts list for us? Not that I'm lazy but it sure would help!

Thanks!

Sweet....I really like that look.

actually ya, My 14 year old daughter and I go to Mammoth and Big Bear quite a bit during the winter and the roads can be rough to say the least. shot some pics of the trip up big bear as well as some shots of the car next to a stocker outback and finally my daughter landing her first 180 of the box at bear mountain....hope this is enough proof that I actually use the car for what it is intended.

IMG_0178_2.jpg.1e3e46cd2cc80f2f2b6bf98adabb72c8.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg.2cd454c1e1441201bac53fd876984097.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg.305d043ca37d6347b60814cf267d6493.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg.45c17c646e12c8fa46087352d3b3770e.jpg

180.jpg.7cd3abdf907f96bac0018643d944e259.jpg

how would you assess the feel of the suspension now?

The XTs drive character is controlled, taught and compliant at the same time; you know where the wheels are, never a harsh ride. The Outback’s old excessive body movement is now well under control. My wife Ingrid, whom largely drives this car, declared after just a short drive "The new shock thingy makes this a totally different car. Momma like! Reminds me of the S4". (Her Audi)

Edit: Waaaay back in the 1st quarter of 2005 myself and several other early Outback XT adopt'ers went the coilover route. At first the Coilovers did the trick, however being the mouse trap they are, they coudn't come anywhere near the compliance many of us OB XT wagon owners sought. So,,, off came the coilovers and my wife inherited the Outback XT as I avoided driving the car - it sucked. Several years later enter the two JDM Bilstein BTS kit's developed both for the JDM Outback 2.5 and 3.0 respectively. Me thinks the Gas Bilstein strut/shock paired with uprated coil springs does the trick to cure the sloppy OE suspension charactor adding the much needed Hi Performance, with-out the downside of coilovers. (I mean, our Outback XT will no time soon be Autocrossed - )

The JDM rear sway bar addition will round out the suspension upgrade .... Done,, let's go skiing!

Cheers, Mike

The XTs drive character is controlled, taught and compliant at the same time; you know where the wheels are, never a harsh ride. The Outback’s old excessive body movement is now well under control. My wife Ingrid, whom largely drives this car, declared after just a short drive "The new shock thingy makes this a totally different car. Momma like! Reminds me of my S4 Audi”

Congrats!!!

All that work and persistence finally paid-off from the sound of it!

At the end of the day, it's a shame that anyone wanting to reap the fruits of your labor will still have to jump through so many hoops just to get the components together.

A couple questions if you don't mind?

1. I'm not sure I ran across any estimate of what this lil' "adventure" ended up costing you out-the-door (?).
  2. Any ball-park estimate of what the OEM springs and struts cost as a cost comparison?

I'm already working on my business case to present to the Directress of Finance, and to be honest--it's likely to be a tough sell. She already thinks this car takes WAY too much money to maintain because of stupid things failing like O2 sensors (twice), CV boot, etc.

Again--congratulations on your big "win" and thanks for sharing all the info with everyone here.

Cheers,

Tim

Hey Tim ~

Here's a link (hopefully) to the cost outline and a few additional photo's..

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114243

It's a recent post intitled: Bilstein Parts List. In short, the vendors list is a 1,2,3, simple arrangement with a total cost of around $1,700.00 USD. An easy DIY enhancement.

The KYB components are a lightweight low cost variety... The suspension enhancement here changes the car dramatically for the better. Two different Outback cars...

Me thinks Subaru of America TALKED themselves into this KYB low cost floppy suspension solution .... wouldn't be the first time in the car business. The Body in White chassis of the Legacy/Outback range easily accomodates the superior suspension such as this Bilstein BTS kit 5056J arrangement.

Hey,,,, it's SOA business, they will do whatever is needed to get bye.. Our Subaru Outback experience however does NOT make a repeat buyer...

This customer will trade Suabru's stellar repair history for a wee bit more refinement in a vehicle. The half baked / imposture of a "Dual Climate Control" as shoveled into the Limted car's doesn't help either . . . .

Cheers, Mike

this thread has inspired me to make some upgrades. i have pretty much the same goals, better suspension but maintain outback ride height, but i have a '98 wagon. there are GR2s available but it sounds like the Bilsteins are worth the extra cash. i found some info on outback specific shocks on bilstein.de. they have B4 struts, VNE-4806/7 and VNE-4933/4. my main concern is about springs and top hats. if i keep the stock springs, or even USDM aftermarket, i'm guessing i'll be ok.

any thoughts?

M. where in Colorado are you?

Hey,,,, it's SOA business, they will do whatever is needed to get by.. Our Subaru Outback experience however does NOT make a repeat buyer...

This customer will trade Suabru's stellar repair history for a wee bit more refinement in a vehicle. The half baked / imposture of a "Dual Climate Control" as shoveled into the Limted car's doesn't help either . . . .

Appreciate the link and the add'l info!

I totally agree on the above points; this was my first Subaru and I'm not sure it won't be my last. I've enjoyed driving other recent models (e.g., Impreza Ouback, and WRX, etc) much moreso than my own OBXT which I've just never been able to "connect with" from a driver's perspective; the sloppy handling, the sloppy clutch engagement...both totally isolate the driver from the road. And don't get me started on the ridiculous HVAC system. I guess this is why I've just never gotten any real enjoyment out of driving my car. If it weren't for the AWD and the peppy motor, I could clearly say "I'm done with you, Subaru" after I drive this one into the ground. One day, I could see myself maybe picking up a used, low mile WRX as a commuter car, but then again--with given their gas mileage @ 22-24 mpg best case, maybe I'll be pursuing a MINI instead!

Thanks,

Tim

M. where in Colorado are you?

Hey cdlong; were in both Denver and Vail. When we primarily lived in Denver the turbo XT model seemed to fit the bill given the 10,000’ elevation climb up to the Vail house. Our Bilstein BTS modified Outback XT car is in Georgia presently, if you're in the neighborhood I’d offer you a test drive of the new suspension.

Edit: Ooops I see you live in C. Springs,,, hardly local to northern Georgia.

Cheers, Mike

Appreciate the link and the add'l info!

I totally agree on the above points; this was my first Subaru and I'm not sure it won't be my last. I've just never been able to "connect with" from a driver's perspective; the sloppy handling, the sloppy clutch engagement...both totally isolate the driver from the road. And don't get me started on the ridiculous HVAC system. I guess this is why I've just never gotten any real enjoyment out of driving my car. If it weren't for the AWD and the peppy motor, I could clearly say "I'm done with you, Subaru"

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,,, I feel your pain! I'm with you ~ ya want to give the OB XT the benefit of the doubt however the digital suspension/steering dynamics are (past tense in my case) a constant sore piont of a reminder. The Bilstein kit goes a LONG way in curing Subaru of America’s self imposed short comings. Although at this stage of the game (4+ years) the much lauded Subaru repeat buyer syndrome has not taken a foot hold with this customer. Legacy Outback XT and GT owner’s alike bought into this push up market and the newly created (turbo) segment, as for my money the XT didn’t turn out as I’d hoped.

Hey,,, ya put your money down and takes yer chances…. Step right up…everybody’s a winner..

All the very best ~

Cheers, Mike

The raised “character” ride height of the Outback is maintained with the Bilstein BTS5056 kit. In absolute terms, the ride height of the USA Outback XT is effected. IIRC the USA XT model Outback is ever so slightly taller than the other Outback models, this exception will be lost.
Nope, it's just a difference in ground clearance due to different exhaust configurations.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

What about doing Bilteins shocks with Pink springs, similar to what the legacy STI has. I am sure the valving is different, but would that give higher performance as compared to the Bilteins with blue springs. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Wouldn't that (Pinks that is) lower it to the point that Legacy struts/shocks are a better choice?
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Yeah keep the Outback tall...some people raise their OB even more. I would like to make the suspension more rugged and better for off-roading. Not really into hardcore stuff but go on a lot of unpaved, rocky roads, etc.

Yeah keep the Outback tall...some people raise their OB even more. I would like to make the suspension more rugged and better for off-roading. Not really into hardcore stuff but go on a lot of unpaved, rocky roads, etc.

Just out of curiosity, what aspects of the stock suspension do you feel need "rugged-izing"? Are you talking like swaybar disconnects, etc?

I'm only asking because while the stock suspension's shortcomings make it handle pretty poorly on-road, those same shortcomings should make it perform pretty decently off-road; the components are fairly beefy, the amount of articulation it offers is great, and it's got a rear LSD. Add some sway disconnects and I would think you could tackle some pretty wild off-road stuff "as is", IMHO.

Tim

Archived