LegacyGT.com

Bilstein BTS Outback XT kit pictures

Yeah keep the Outback tall...some people raise their OB even more. I would like to make the suspension more rugged and better for off-roading. Not really into hardcore stuff but go on a lot of unpaved, rocky roads, etc.
On a car without locking differentials or low range, and one that already eats wheel bearings, it's just plain silly.

Here is the famous explorer of the wilds of Rhode Island, "Superu." Note the axe. Biggest poser Subaru I've ever seen, hands down, by far. Stock 2.5i 4EAT powertrain, BTW.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/563441566_JABUi-L.jpg

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/563442051_rzdvf-L.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, does anyone know how this compare to stock in terms of pring rates and shock stiffness.

Also, what is the difference between the Bilstein's and coilovers in terms of durability. I always hear that coilovers need to be rebuilt quite often, but aren't the shocks just like a Bilstein shock, without the inserts that make up a coilover. Or is it just because they are so much stiffer, that they blow up more often.

Thanks.

I just wish it was easier to get my hands on this kit. Plus i dont read japanese very well.

Dude, www.babelfish.com ... A translator.

The Japan based company Hirano Tire sells/ships internationally. Try sending a FAX or email in English, you may be surprized. (you can personally import up to a $2000.00 USD value threshold I believe without a tariff.) At say $1250 for the Bilstein kit and $80 or so for the 2 JDM rear shock perches; shipped together should be a no-brainer to arrange with Hirano Tire Japan.

Recently installed the addition of a JDM rear sway bar ... The Bilstein BTS kit is a real nice setup. For my money it makes the Outback XT fun to drive. You can actually DRIVE this car. My .02

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

So after reading this entire thread i can say i would jump on this now. My only concern is installing this myself. M.Schneider, how long did this take for you and what tools did you use? I know nothing about replacing shocks myself.

I'd say the removal of the existing suspension takes about 2 hours. Ya have to remove all the wheels, set the jack, etc, however the actual removal of the 2 rear shock could probably be done in 30 minutes or less. It’s really a very simple task.

The front struts are about the same at 30-40 minutes or less for both. I don’t recall the actual size wrenches or sockets; however both the front and rear need an 18mm or 19mm socket which is best motivated with a ½ drive socket set.

I’ve heard somewhere that you can buy time on a Subaru site viewing portions of the workshop manual in an ala carte fashion. I didn’t feel the need to preview a manual, only to rely on past experience with cars in general, that and having accumulated a sufficient tool collection throughout the decades. The struts and shock will require a spring compressor – which I farmed out to a local shop. Installing the new top hats on the Bilstein’s is easy as 1-2-3. Maybe 45-minutes to an hour all (4) total. The local parts store often loans DIY’er a spring compressor. A work shop on the other hand have significantly better strut/ shock compressor arrangements – Envision a drill press of sorts; super fast.

The Bilstein BTS kit + the JDM rear sway is a nice, very nice up grade indeed, if not essential for the spirited XT model. Go for it! Did you contact the Hirano Tire folks directly? At the right price, Hirano Tire could provide the front Spec B top hats. Certainly the JDM only rear top shock perch'es.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

it sounds so easy on paper. I havent contacted them yet as i need to gather the parts a couple pages back and make sure thats all i need. So The kit and front and rear top hats..thats it? I know on japanparts site they offer the kit for 1700. i guess the price has changed then?

it sounds so easy on paper. I havent contacted them yet as i need to gather the parts a couple pages back and make sure thats all i need. So The kit and front and rear top hats..thats it? I know on japanparts site they offer the kit for 1700. i guess the price has changed then?

Hey n888aw, www.japanparts.com is a fine import car parts company providing a valuable service. This service is reflected in their markup cost's. Again, a great buying experience.

The firm Hirano Tire in Japan is a authorized Bilstein reseller with the resources to ship internationally. If I had to do this over again, directly is the way I'd go not to bother a colleague whom purchased the Bilstein kit from Hirano Tire anyway. ....So,,,, it's your call to add the markup of an import parts agency such as Japanparts.

Do YOUR homework and you'll be fine. Best of luck...

P.S., The Bilstein BTS kit coupled with the JDM Subaru factory rear sway bar works wonders for our MY05 Outback XT.

Cheers, Mike

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure direct from Hirano is going to work, I've emailed twice in the past 3 weeks and haven't got a response. Unless I'm using the wrong email address (exportdivision@hotmail.com), it looks like japanparts is the only current option.

I'm not sure direct from Hirano is going to work, I've emailed twice in the past 3 weeks and haven't got a response. Unless I'm using the wrong email address (exportdivision@hotmail.com), it looks like japanparts is the only current option.

Ditto. I even used the site www.babelfish.com a translator site; english to Japanese. No soap!

I've reached out to the colleague in Japan to contact them, unfortunately he is on vacation and out of pocket.

Has anyone attempted a phone call? You'd be surprized. I'm just saying~

Cheers, Mike

too bad Japan Parts couldnt match Hirano's Price - i really dont feel like paying 2k for this, but then again, it would be a vast improvement and it would help keep the car longer... but then again, japanparts might be able to take care of the shipping and such instead of myself trying to do it? (i could be wrong about the shipping being take care of by them?)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any comments? I just sent this to Vogtland:

I am writing to request that you consider adding an additional vehicle to your product line.

Subaru's 2005-2009 Outback Wagon is an extremely popular vehicle in North America states that have significant winters (Colorado, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Vermont, Maine, etc, etc). Even in other states the vehicles have a presence, because the wagon is very functional, without being a gas-guzzling SUV, and the all-wheel drive imparts a sense of security even without snow or ice on the roads. The interest in "modding" WRX's, STI's and Legacy GT's attests to that. You may have better info than I do, but I presume the Outback (with its raised-suspension) is more popular in the US vs Europe or Asia, where the Legacy may be the more popular. The Outback suspension is mushy from the factory and just gets worse over time. There are only 2 aftermarket shock absorbers (struts) available as far as I can tell: KYB's bottom-of-the-line GR-2 and Monroe's SensaTrac. If you go on-line to either www.legacygt.com or www.subaruoutback.org you will read a lot of complaints about the stock Subaru suspensions and those aftermarket options. I don't have any first-hand experience, but reports are the GR-2's are not much better than the stock shock absorbers (allegedly also made by KYB), and the SensaTrac's are worse. Bilstein makes a shock for these, but it is evidently not available in the U.S. Bilstein in Japan makes a complete kit, but the only attempted "grey market" import into the US I've read about resulted in a 100-150% price increase over other Bilstein BTS kits. There are also "racing-oriented coilover" kits available but they appear to be derived from a racing application, limit suspension travel too much, and the shocks have proven problematic.

I don't know the Outback Wagon sales volume figures but it can't be that insignificant. Plus all 4-cylinder models (standard and XT Turbo...like the Legacy GT) use essentially the same springs and shocks. The very few 6-cylinder models have heavier front springs but allegedly the same rear springs. Subaru also made an Outback Sedan for a few years, again with substantially the same suspension, though there may be a slight difference in the rear springs. But I am guessing the 4-cylinder Outback wagon makes up 85%-90% of all Outbacks. And I am guessing that Outbacks outsold Legacy's 3 to 1 in the U.S. There are similarities and differences between the Legacy suspension and the Outback's; I would imagine the Outback needs a longer spring, and a longer shaft and longer stroke on the shock absorber; different Legacy & Outback models use different "top caps" and other mounting bits, so you would have to research that a bit.

In summary, I think the biggest deficiency in the Outback market today is for a decent shock / strut offering. If a different spring is needed to provide a more sophisticated ride, that would also be welcomed by the market, but the overall solution needs to be under $1000, instead of $2000. Could you offer an Outback Sport Suspension kit for under $1000?

I have a 2009 Outback Wagon with less than 9000 miles and I want to improve the suspension. This isn't an issue limited to Outback owners with worn-out suspensions. The chief complaint that I have is that the rear shocks appear underdamped, as the vehicle keeps bouncing after hitting a bump or dip in the road. (the dealer says there is no problem, of course). There are aftermarket springs available for the Outback, but the main problem is there is no good shock absorber available in the US. People compare the US Subaru Legacy's with KYB shocks to the Legacy's with Bilsteins, and the KYB's rate poorly (KYB should fit their Gas-a-just or other monotube shock to the Subaru's). I am not trying to race my Outback, nor do I want to lower it to the extent of a standard Legacy (people who want that would buy the Legacy in the first place). But a modest lowering would be OK. Think BMW / Audi ride characteristics, instead of 1970's Cadillac / Buick.

In fact, I will write similar letters to Bilstein and KYB. There is a market for an improved 2005-2009 Outback suspension. Would you like to fill that market need?

I recently received this JDM sold only Bilstein BTS 5056J kit from Japan. Several forum members here and myself had encouraged Bilstein USA to import this kit or offer a similar kit to NO avail.

The kit was purchased in November 2008 and with that exchange rate puts the cost at approx $1,230.00 or so. Shipping was via UPS International 5 day service (56lbs)

Do they have a websight forr the JDM stuff?

I'm ordering some Kings Springs for my OXT. I will do some heavy photo documenting, etc. when they arrive to address any fitment issue. Only issue I foresee has to do with the OXT using a different spring but same shock as the OB for 09' according to the dealer. Over seas, there is not the 7.23mm ride hight increase with the OXT. These springs, on a normal OB, should raise the ride by 5-10mm with 25% stiffer rates. My hope is it will be a wash with ride hight, meaning my USDM OXT ride hight will be unchanged with the increased spring rates. If they don't fit, they will be up for sale :lol:

Hmm... what are the individual strut part numbers in that kit?

1" drop introduced by the BTS 5056J kit makes me thinking that it may actually be Legacy struts. The latter are readily available from Tirerack.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey Duffman ~ A sharp eye you have and yes its a 993 series 911 C2S coupe. It's a MY98 which I'd ordered in May of '97 after months and months of looking over the Porsche options/build sheet before pulling the trigger; then waiting 5 months for a delivery. Here we are 11 years and 50k miles later and there is no other car I'd rather drive. (wife drives a 997.2 coupe and the Subaru OB XT)

The last of the air cooled 911's is an old sckool sports car in Spades!

Cheers, Mike

• 10 months later...

Reviving a very old thread here.

I wanted to find out how many guys did the Bilstein upgrade? I know that M. Schneider did and I've talked to him several times to get his feedback. Not that I don't trust his input, but I'm looking for other reviews if any exist. So if you did the Bilstein upgrade, please let me know your thoughts on improvements etc.

I might have the $$$ to do something soon and I intend to keep the 05OBXT as long as it runs. I have some suspension bushings that need to be changed so it might be a good time to do everything. I've been sitting on the necessary top hats etc for a while now.

Needless to say, I want the holy grail - improved handling, no significant increase in NVH, and reliability. The Bilsteins sound like the way to go (as opposed to MR coilovers). And yes, I've done all the other stuff already - bigger rear sway and AVO endlinks and max performance tires.

A good friend of mine from college, lives in Japan so he's middle man.

Hey cantona7 -

Mike here in Colorado no less. We leave our OB XT here as we have a second home in the mountains - that being said the other day the OB XT was fired up and I hadn't driven the wagon in more than a few months. Man,,, the BTS kit really tranforms the OB XTs suspension... what's it been 15k miles ago or so since the install? I'm really a Porsche/Audi/VW guy as the refinement of these cars doesn't go unnoticed by either myself or Mrs. Schneider. The Outback XT on the other hand is a very different animal... its strong suit is the nice 4x4 drivetrain w/2.5 turbo induction which makes the MY05>Outback XT.. "The Colorado snow car". Under the radar no less. Nice.

Without the Bilstein BTS kit the otherwise nerve racking (Ok) driving Subi OB XT would have been long gone from our garage.

In summary, the Bilstein kit transforms the OB XT chassis to the extent that's its really a fun, quick, dynamic car. Now for the crummy brakes.... Its a toss of a coin brakes or suspension, which first. Dropp the funds on the BTS kit you'll never look back.

We'll keep the OB XT until the wheels fall off. (brakes, real brakes and a indash Navi is the next enhancement)

Cheers, Mike Schneider

P.S. don't get me started on the "auto" HVAC.. - it has beat me into submission and only Mrs. Schneider does that.

Cheers, Mike

I have 12k miles with the bilstein upgrade on my 06 obxt. Overall I'm happy, my only complaint is it can be a bit firm over rough road but my wife drives the car every day and she's never complained. I had to go back to the stock rims as my 18" tarmac 3s wouldn't fit the lower setup but the improved handling dynamics (with decent rubber) make a big difference.

I have 12k miles with the bilstein upgrade on my 06 obxt. Overall I'm happy, my only complaint is it can be a bit firm over rough road but my wife drives the car every day and she's never complained. I had to go back to the stock rims as my 18" tarmac 3s wouldn't fit the lower setup but the improved handling dynamics (with decent rubber) make a big difference.

What tire size were you running on the 18" wheels? I hadn't thought about potential issues with 18" wheels. Right now, I'm running stock wheels, but running 17"s with the stock tire size is starting to really limit my tire choices. In the summer, I like to run max performance tires (GY Eagle F1's right now, not available in stock size anymore).

Are you running the BTS kit, or are you using HDs with other springs like STI pinks or swifts?

Archived