LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Options / Possibilities

How did you get them for $122? They list for $135.

There were two of them on auction at the time... one at $119.99, with 0 bids at 2 days to go. The other was $129.99 and Buy it Now. Both had free shipping. I thought I would get it for $119.99 but someone else bid with one day to go so I esniped it...

ebay item # 320477566795

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How did you get them for $122? They list for $135.

Also you can filter the auctions by type what I have done is filter for the "Buy It Now" types then I just bombard them with offers LOL untill they say yes when UEl were $175 shipped i sent 5 offers at $130 and one bit SHIPPED i felt accomplished. :)

08leggy.. thanks.. ive been reading through and trying to put the pieces together. Im looking just to put UEL headers, not a full exhaust, so will i still need to run a dual 02 sensor cat? or can i just have the headers cut and welded to match the stock catback?

08leggy.. thanks.. ive been reading through and trying to put the pieces together. Im looking just to put UEL headers, not a full exhaust, so will i still need to run a dual 02 sensor cat? or can i just have the headers cut and welded to match the stock catback?

jdm hatch - you have quite a few options and I was assuming you would be able tell but I forget that I have been researching this for over a year... Not putting you down just forget not to assume. It all depends on what you are going for so lets start there:

Design 1: UEL Headers with STOCK exhaust.

Design 2: UEL Headers with After-market Cat-Back Exhaust

Design 3: UEL Headers with Full Custom Exhaust

Now you have to decide what your goal is:

- What am I looking for from this exhaust? Sound, Subtle or Loud?

- What is the purpose of doing this? This can be a huge undertaking if you don't plan right, but once you start make sure to follow through or else you will kick yourself in the butt. That is why I am here though, to make your decisions easier.

Ohk now you are talking you can run the headers as-is and buy one of these track pipes. Or have one made your call. Or you can cut and weld those header to mate to the stock mid-pipe IF you choose that route get these headers instead:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03-04-05-06-Subaru-WRX-STI-M2-header-manifold-4-1_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem414c70d99eQQitemZ280455338398QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

or similar this saves you a lot of time and you wont be wasting as much of the header to mate to the existing cat pipe.

Design 1: UEL Headers with STOCK exhaust.

Design 2: UEL Headers with After-market Cat-Back Exhaust

Design 3: UEL Headers with Full Custom Exhaust

No matter which Design you go for you will need another catalytic converter. Sorry, but its the truth. In post #2 I believe a guy posted a link to an install on an 06 Legacy. MSPRO shows where the UEL headers meet up with STOCK exhaust system. Bascially now you have to curve 90 degrees or more to meet up with the STOCK piping direction.

First, to make your life easier, make sure it is a Dual O2 cat. That way you don't have to weld in sensor bungs.

Second, to make the 90 degree bend you have two choices:

Choice 1: Buy a 2-bolt flange, 90 degree bend, and a Dual O2 Cat - the route I took, see previous posts

Choice 2: Buy a Cat that does all of this for you...see below

Cats that bolt right up to the UEL Header and make the bend:

1.) Bosal #099-195 or #096-195 (higher load) for 98-05 Subaru 2.5L

Link to the 099-195 / Link to the 099-196

2.) Bosal #099-228 or #096-228 (higher load) for 93-99 Subaru 1.8L, 2.2L, 2.5L

Link to the 099-228 / Can't find the 096-228

3.) Aftermarket Cats made for Subaru's: Link / Link

Number 1 will fit directly between the headers and exhaust mid-pipe.

Number 2 will fit directly to the Headers you just would have to custom build to the mid-pipe.

Number 3 are just aftermarket copies of Numbers 1 & 2

I would have gone with the Magnaflow 23875 or the 37875. But, I didn't find those until I already purchased my current cat. The other issue I run into is I live on the coast and the salt walter will eat steel and aluminum so I have to run stainless.

The only downside to running the Cats that make the bend for you is the pipe diameter size. They are running about 1.8". My custom setup will be running 2.25" all the way out. This helps the flow.

The only downside to running the Cats that make the bend for you is the pipe diameter size. They are running about 1.8". My custom setup will be running 2.25" all the way out. This helps the flow.

To add you this point make it a point to look for mandrel bent pipes not crush or stretch bent pipes mandrel bends keep the exhaust dia true thru each bend.

thanks for all this info.. ive been around the block with exhaust and cars.. ive owned a 03 wrx.. so im not some nubie (not saying you were calling me that!lol) just so you know im not some idiot haha.. im looking for the rumble.. but not loud.. i live in a complex and they hate me already. Im looking for the rumble with a quiet idle. You def. helped out a lot with all the info.. looking at all these different setups on here.. one can get lost in terms of welding, cutting, this and that .. so thats why i was looking for a straight Abc answer and that helped a ton.. thanks fellas

thanks for all this info.. ive been around the block with exhaust and cars.. ive owned a 03 wrx.. so im not some nubie (not saying you were calling me that!lol) just so you know im not some idiot haha.. im looking for the rumble.. but not loud.. i live in a complex and they hate me already. Im looking for the rumble with a quiet idle. You def. helped out a lot with all the info.. looking at all these different setups on here.. one can get lost in terms of welding, cutting, this and that .. so thats why i was looking for a straight Abc answer and that helped a ton.. thanks fellas

If you are trying to cut the loudness follow any of the setups but add in a chambered resonator aka a second muffler in the mid pipe. This cuts the loud pulses at idle but allows them to roam freely once you open up the throttle

I wasn't trying to assume you were a newbie. I have owned an 04 WRX STi and went through the exhaust crap on that. I completely understand what you mean. But, you have to realize none of us know your intensions or goals so I have to speak in general terms. Now if you ask a specific question then I can narrow it down for you. I am no pro or expert at this, just have done much research and trial and error.

Rumble, subtle but noticable =

1.) UEL Headers

2.) Cat and pipe to meet up with Mid-Pipe and rear exhaust. (How ever you choose to do it)

3.) Swap out the mufflers. (Stock mufflers really cut out the sound, you can probably find some axle backs that can accomplish this for you.)

Like Gee-Otto said, chambered resonator and mufflers will cut down the sound quite a bit. Post #72 & 73 on Pg.5 talks about this. Now, neither the resonator or muffler I have selected have chambers so I am worried about how loud or drony the sound will be. We shall see. But, the larger the resonator or muffler the deeper the sound.

The stock resonator isn't really that restrictive, but it also isn't incredibly loud either. The only thing is once you get to this point...you will have new headers, new cat, new mufflers...why not just do a full custom and get what you want. Because if you keep your stock parts stock and don't sacrifice any parts to make the exhaust you can always resell it.

I wasn't trying to assume you were a newbie. I have owned an 04 WRX STi and went through the exhaust crap on that. I completely understand what you mean. But, you have to realize none of us know your intensions or goals so I have to speak in general terms. Now if you ask a specific question then I can narrow it down for you. I am no pro or expert at this, just have done much research and trial and error.

Rumble, subtle but noticable =

1.) UEL Headers

2.) Cat and pipe to meet up with Mid-Pipe and rear exhaust. (How ever you choose to do it)

3.) Swap out the mufflers. (Stock mufflers really cut out the sound, you can probably find some axle backs that can accomplish this for you.)

Like Gee-Otto said, chambered resonator and mufflers will cut down the sound quite a bit. Post #72 & 73 on Pg.5 talks about this. Now, neither the resonator or muffler I have selected have chambers so I am worried about how loud or drony the sound will be. We shall see. But, the larger the resonator or muffler the deeper the sound.

The stock resonator isn't really that restrictive, but it also isn't incredibly loud either. The only thing is once you get to this point...you will have new headers, new cat, new mufflers...why not just do a full custom and get what you want. Because if you keep your stock parts stock and don't sacrifice any parts to make the exhaust you can always resell it.

Yeah buddy ive always planned for a full custom exhaust. The only part i would modify ( after ive modified the stock header :lol:) would be what Shtbxr22 did and this is to add bungs to the second cat for use by the O2 sensors. the rest is equally as cheap to have made

you guys are pros at this..lol i def. appreciate all the help. yea im gonna start putting this together.. luckly i work at a custom sound shop during the day and have a exhuast shop right next door! so ill have them weld up the pieces and ill install everything which should cut down the cost a little bit. im actually getting a price from the shop next saturday on what it would cost to do a full 2.5 inch exhuast. so well see what happens. ill keep you guys updated as i go along.. but def. in the right direction now.. so thanks a ton fellers

Well I just got my second set of headers in. They are AKM headers that I bought off of ebay. Link (Subaru Impreza GC8 2.5RS Stainless Steel Header 97-05)

I have to say the quality is about 3 times better:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/ackershaw/IMGP0316.jpg

1.) The welds seem to be cleaner and better made.

2.) Flanges that mate up to header seem to be more flat than my first set.

3.) The diameters are real close.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/ackershaw/IMGP0302.jpg

Well I just got my second set of headers in. They are AKM headers that I bought off of ebay. Link (Subaru Impreza GC8 2.5RS Stainless Steel Header 97-05)

I have to say the quality is about 3 times better:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/ackershaw/IMGP0316.jpg

1.) The welds seem to be cleaner and better made.

2.) Flanges that mate up to header seem to be more flat than my first set.

3.) The diameters are real close.

Nice side-by-side shots for comparison. They come from the same factory apparently - the AMK is the latest version of the header (v3) versus the others which are v.2

Looks like the routing on the primaries is slightly different too?

Yeah the angles are a little more drastic on the v.3. The passenger side pipe to the rear collector seems to be slightly more elevated. Just seems better quality.

Now of course I didn't line them up perfectly so take the picture for what it is worth.

So to make sure i understand your direction you got two sets so you can hack them both up to fab a single bolt on header right ???

Sadly you are correct. But, still I am not that much out of pocket getting something that fits right. $150 +180 = $330 for custom headers that bolt up with no issues.

Since I will be keeping this car for several years I need to make sure I don't do anything to damage the car. No banging the steering lines, etc. To me it is worth it, but it would definitely help if someone would develop headers specifically for our vehicles to circumvent this crap! I did e-mail that guy and showed my interest to help other N/A guys. I don't believe I will be getting those though, after I will be going through all of this headache.

Sadly you are correct. But, still I am not that much out of pocket getting something that fits right. $150 +180 = $330 for custom headers that bolt up with no issues.

Since I will be keeping this car for several years I need to make sure I don't do anything to damage the car. No banging the steering lines, etc. To me it is worth it, but it would definitely help if someone would develop headers specifically for our vehicles to circumvent this crap! I did e-mail that guy and showed my interest to help other N/A guys. I don't believe I will be getting those though, after I will be going through all of this headache.

I agree with you 1 billion percent :). You are right $330 is cheaper than $500 for a header mock up kit. How are you going to build this franken-header?? Just take them both to a shop and say make a bolt on header ?

I agree with you 1 billion percent :). You are right $330 is cheaper than $500 for a header mock up kit. How are you going to build this franken-header?? Just take them both to a shop and say make a bolt on header ?

No, I have been in talks with a guy who builds custom rock crawling jeeps. He custom fabs all the exhaust for the jeeps so this should be a no brainer.

What I did, for all of you wondering how to go about finding someone to weld of custom fab something for you, was... I called a Welding Supply place near my house. I asked the guy in the shop if he knew anyone who could weld stainless steel for an exhaust system. The guy spun his rolodex and said call one guy... The whole thing is, he knew who came and bought stuff from him so he knew the character of his customers plus knew the quality of their welds. Also, that one guy didn't work out so he spun his rolodex again and gave me a name. I told him to give me names of only guys he know will do a good job and not rake me over the coals.

All-in-all he put me in contact with a gentleman who referred me to a guy he trusted that ran a custom jeep fabrication shop. The "jeep" guy took a look at what I was trying to do and said he could do it. He also was the one that agreed on purchasing two sets to get the right size pipe, and to make it look good. He charges by the hour, not by the weld, which is fine by me.

Fellow Scubaru owners...you can find any mainstream muffler shop that can weld. But, the guys who own their own shop and whose entire business is based on referrals and their quality of work are the ones who are going to do a damn good job. Plus they are more willing to work with you and give you suggestions.

I will post pics of what I am thinking he is going to do, but I will try and describe it.

Since I torched the first set there is only one section that doesn't look jacked up. That is the section after the first collector of the passenger side flange on the header. Plus it is just perfect because it is already in the extended "U" shape to get the dip of 0.5" to an 1" to clear the power steering lines.

Archived