LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Options / Possibilities

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, I am a banker so let's call it a loan. Hahaha.

So today I had the day off and decided to check the fitment of the header.... UT OH!!!

I FOUND THE LEAK!!! Now I don't know what to do to fix the problem because I don't have all the parts for the new exhaust and I don't know whether to drop the project and sell the parts or proceed and try and get a sooner completion date. The flex joint blew out.

Fitment of the header:

1.) First you have to trim the engine mount on the driver side to get the header flange to even go onto the studs. The trimming was only on the deflector shield of the mount, which will not hinder the structural integrity of the mount.

2.) Second the passenger flange took some OOMPH to get on. And my basic observation was that the pipe that comes from the header flange on the passenger side hits the power steering lines that run under the car. Basically that pipe needs to dip down 1/2" to an 1" to clear them. Also needs to come back towards the rear of the car about an 1". So basically the headers will have to be made to fit.

Will keep updated, but any suggestions on the leak?

IMGP0271.jpg.8f43645531e7d0c30bf6c4db4d5d6caf.jpg

IMGP0287.jpg.804f785bab1a604b2f524fadc303c8ab.jpg

Well I knew that was the case as i had to trim my headers for the same reason. The lower engine mounts are made differently ( I think larger to buffer more engine vibrations from entering the cabin) one thing I will say is that I trimmed the header flange but either way will work as you have proven. And yes that damn dump section contacts the steering lines I bolted my header to the block as tight as possible then heated and pulled the end down to clear those lines.

That flex joint can be welded as the rest of the joint will expand and contract as need just run a bead around the cracked area and it will quiet that leak up for good

And yes that damn dump section contacts the steering lines I bolted my header to the block as tight as possible then heated and pulled the end down to clear those lines.

How did you heat them? And, what part did you heat?

How did you heat them? And, what part did you heat?

I used a propane torch the kind you see fairly common in parts stores of hardware sections in Walmart or Lowes. I would have used my acetalene torch but i didnt want to use that much muscle I heated the two primaries below the flanges ( at the bends ) when they start to glow a tugged on the rear part and pulled down but a faster and cooler way (temp wise ;)) would be to hammer the steering lines slightly this wont affect functionality after you do that I would wrap that section where they might contact with wrap just to ensure no contact vibrations are produced

it is easier to move the lines and now that I think about it reheating could compromise the temper of of the metal

Well heating the pipes till glowing red didn't work. My car is on ramps and I don't have enough oomph to do anything. It is 30 something outside so I cant keep it glowing. I am able to hear the pipes shrinking and making noise from cooling so I wouldn't suggest going this route. Have to find another solution. Steering lines are not an option as I have been having a possible steering pump leak and want to catch it under warranty.

I may have to cut and put my own tubing. Will post pictures in a few minutes.

Ok... to my New Years Sh!tty Eve -->

Couldn't get the headers to give but dinged them up with a hammer from my frustration. Removed the stock headers and found some oil on the flange and gasket on the driver's side. Looks like there might be a leak somewhere.

Saturday I am bringing my car into the stealership to get the power steering unit checked out because there looked like a leak coming from there. They put a dye or something in the fluid so we will see if it checks out. While it is in I will have them check for the oil leak. Looks like the gasket from the block to the part where the headers attach.

Does anyone know what pieces are covered under warranty? I have the following issues:

1.) Power steering leak

2.) Oil Leak from between the block and the (heads?) I am guessing

3.) Exhaust leak in the flex join in the manifold.

I purchased the 5 year / 100K mile warranty when I bought the car so I am hoping a bunch of this will be covered. Please provide any incite.

IMGP0282.jpg.9e0e146f9a58f270b12faa34aa33a8b8.jpg

IMGP0284.thumb.jpg.db7903c6cb5c9a8420a2c9ab039ad399.jpg

just bought off 1 used customised uel with high flow cat. now all i need is to fab 1 pipe with 2 flange than i'll be able to mate it to the midpipe. getting my hks mufflers on tuesday.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp262/cybonicc/IMG_0016.jpg

just bought off 1 used customised uel with high flow cat. now all i need is to fab 1 pipe with 2 flange than i'll be able to mate it to the midpipe. getting my hks mufflers on tuesday.

That is a nice custom setup. wrapped and everything

Ok... to my New Years Sh!tty Eve -->

Couldn't get the headers to give but dinged them up with a hammer from my frustration. Removed the stock headers and found some oil on the flange and gasket on the driver's side. Looks like there might be a leak somewhere.

Saturday I am bringing my car into the stealership to get the power steering unit checked out because there looked like a leak coming from there. They put a dye or something in the fluid so we will see if it checks out. While it is in I will have them check for the oil leak. Looks like the gasket from the block to the part where the headers attach.

Does anyone know what pieces are covered under warranty? I have the following issues:

1.) Power steering leak

2.) Oil Leak from between the block and the (heads?) I am guessing

3.) Exhaust leak in the flex join in the manifold.

I purchased the 5 year / 100K mile warranty when I bought the car so I am hoping a bunch of this will be covered. Please provide any incite.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/ackershaw/IMGP0281.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/ackershaw/IMGP0282.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/ackershaw/IMGP0284.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/ackershaw/IMGP0285.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/ackershaw/IMGP0287.jpg

How do you have that many problem out a 2008 :eek: all jokes aside ouch man PS and oil leak at the same time? yeah don heat and beat on those tubes in really cold temps best to take it inside if possible. First order of biz is to address those leaks. Second is to consider chopping the collector portion of that header off and adding some tubing. I know this sucks for you man but TRUST me it took 3 different ebay header before one fit and the one that fit was the only used one I had :redface: the other two were new.

To all looking at this picture notice those ground flanges ? Thats exactly what I had to to get mine to clear the lower engine mount on the driver side. Once you get one to clear the other can be "coaxed" to fit over the mount. This i a really good example :wub:

How do you have that many problem out a 2008 :eek: all jokes aside ouch man PS and oil leak at the same time? yeah don heat and beat on those tubes in really cold temps best to take it inside if possible. First order of biz is to address those leaks. Second is to consider chopping the collector portion of that header off and adding some tubing. I know this sucks for you man but TRUST me it took 3 different ebay header before one fit and the one that fit was the only used one I had :redface: the other two were new.

Well, she is at the stealership now. Dunno how I had this problem? Crappy run of cars? Well they took a look at it and apparently the head gasket is leaking around the block, and from driving the oil is collecting on the power steering unit making it look like it was leaking. $100 deductable and covered under my extended warranty.

I may have to purchase another set of headers because it is just frustrating. Still waiting on my additional exhaust components. I went with a different resonator/muffler so I will post pics. Curious where did you get your headers from that fit? O2 sensors, did you extend them yourself or buy something? Because the extensions from that website are for only one of the wires. There are two different plugs for the O2 sensors.

Well, she is at the stealership now. Dunno how I had this problem? Crappy run of cars? Well they took a look at it and apparently the head gasket is leaking around the block, and from driving the oil is collecting on the power steering unit making it look like it was leaking. $100 deductable and covered under my extended warranty.

I may have to purchase another set of headers because it is just frustrating. Still waiting on my additional exhaust components. I went with a different resonator/muffler so I will post pics. Curious where did you get your headers from that fit? O2 sensors, did you extend them yourself or buy something? Because the extensions from that website are for only one of the wires. There are two different plugs for the O2 sensors.

I bought one from AMR and one from Speedy racer the one that FIT i got used from a user on this site that had it on a 05 2.5i Leggy:confused:

Ok...UPDATE!!!

Getting my car back tomorrow morning from the stealership. They replaced both head gaskets and nothing was wrong with the power steering apparently. So good news.

Further good news...got the rest of my exhaust parts for section 1 of the system. There will two parts.

Parts purchased for section 1:

- 2-Bolt Flange:

++ Vibrant 2.25" 2-bolt slot flange: 1471S = $20.40 (amazon.com)

- 2.25" 304 Stainless Steel Tubing (16-gauge) - (http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/)

++Qty 1 - 180 degree bend: SS304-16-225-300-180 = $29.99

++Qty 2 - 45 degree bend: SS304-16-225-300-045 = $22.99

++Qty 1 - V-Band Assembly: VBAND-225-ASM-SS = $34.99

- 2.25" Catalytic Converter with 2 O2 sensor bungs

++Magnaflow: 91065 = $77.84 (ebay.com)

- 2.25" Muffler

++Magnaflow: 11245 = $77.92 (ebay.com)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/ackershaw/Legacy/IMGP0292.jpg

I went with an oval muffler so there wasn't anything hanging down. From my measurements if should just fit under the heat shield in the center of the car. Hopefully it provides a deeper sound too. We will see.

The v-band assembly is at the end of section 1, and the other v-band flange will go at the beginning of section 2. Supposedly these don't require a gasket. They are mainly used for race exhaust and setups to modify the exhaust if it gets damaged in a hurry. I just don't want to use a gasket :lol:.

yeah for the looks thats all. either option 1. blanking out at the muffler leaving it as dummy. option 2. blanking out at the y pipe & leave it as a dummy. but 1 thing is if there's welding marks and it's illegal. option 1 is the cheapest way out but not good in the long run. and option 2 is pretty obvious just by looking at it. even though my mufflers are street legal.. its like wasting money on the mufflers as a whole.

Archived