LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Options / Possibilities

Well really it would just save around $150 for the second muffler + piping and welding. Probably save under $200. I know kind of minor compared to what the other parts are costing but $150-$200 to go to my skid plate, if RalliTek ever releases it.

-Anyone know where to get exhaust flanges? One 2-bolt to meet up with the header to create the catpipe, One doughnut 2-bolt (complete assembly) to meet with mid-pipe with resonator, and two other 2-bolt flanges to make an axle back section.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Headers just arrived today. They look like they are decent quality. The gaskets look a little crappy so I will have to buy good ones later. Any ideas?

Purchased the cat Friday last week for $78 and it should be here Thursday. Looking for piping and flanges still, but will keep ya'll updated.

IMGP0269.thumb.jpg.8534aa10e59e68fbf53a5c88d494d7e6.jpg

List of parts:

- UEL Headers

+ 00-04 2.5 RS for an EJ251

+ Part #: EH SB101

+ www.SpeedyRacer.com

+ $135 + Shipping

- Cat

+ Magnaflow Dual O2 Bung

+ Oval 2.25" ID

+ Part #: 91065

+ Ebay

+ $77.84 + Free Shipping

- Resonator

+ Magnaflow Round Muffler

+ 6" Round 2.25" ID

+ Part #: 12645

+ Ebay

+ $77.91 + Free Shipping

- Muffler

+ Magnaflow Street Series Polished Stainless Muffler

+ 2.25" in / 4" out

+ Part #: 14829

+ Ebay

+ $143.96 + Free Shipping

- Piping

+ Aluminized Steel

+ 16 Guage

+ www.mandrel-bends.com

- Flanges

+ still trying to locate them, the above site has slot 2-bolt flanges that I may try

- Gaskets

+ Factory OEM

+ Now just how to find Factory 2-bolt flanges. I guess look for ones that fit the 2-bolt flange on the header...

After typing and researching this information, an Ebay seller that lists the Magnaflow parts actually has a separate website. They can sell all three from their site, whether they stock it is another question. This is not a plug and I don't work for them but here is the link to their site.

--> Website: horsepowerperformance.com

I have never dealt with them but they are right near my folks house so I will let ya'll know how they are.

No problem. I have been researching this crap till I am blue in the face. I am ready to just put the damn thing together. The whole thing that brought this on though is an exhaust leak coming from my stock headers. Ha. I could have just replaced the gaskets but that wouldn't be any fun. I will take pictures of the progress and also take measurements to help those who are going down this path.

I also have a leak somewhere. When I romp on the gas up to about 60, i get a strong exhaust smell in the cabin. I also have this loud vibration around 3k rpms that has been there forever, a new exhaust will get rid of it! lol

You seem ripe for a UEL exhaust my friend to go along with nice ride appearance :)

Yeah when I start my car I can smell the fumes in the cabin and a horrid vibration sound coming from the exhaust system. Time to UPGRADE!

Now my car doesn't look as good as many of ya'lls but it is my workhorse (2008 with 45K+ miles and tows my jetski) so oh well. Apparently in Texas if you don't have a BMW or Merc, and your car looks shiny, it is a prime target for those a$$holes with junkers or people who don't give a rats a$$ about their car to DING and DENT your car. I gave up. A new paint job will be in the coming years.

Pawlwawl, why does your pic show a hood scoop on a 2.5i?

Hahaha. I had to ask. To each his own.

LOL no he isnt rice. I think he probably found a good deal on a LGT hood and in that color it looks badass coupled with his wheels I would go for it as well I actually was very close to buying a LGT but i got addicted to exhausts

I don't really think any of us got addicted to exhausts. I think it is a Subaru conspiracy. They specifically make our cars with exhaust leaks so we will either get high off the fumes or buy UEL headers to fit in with the cool crowd. Hahaha. Just an off the wall BS theory. It helps me sleep at night.

Pawlwawl - I was reading through MSPRO's post about the Borla header install and noticed you kept bringing up HFC, and I wanted to inform you about the Cat I chose. Also tried to address your concern on CELs.

The Catalytic Converter I listed above (Magnaflow 91065) is NOT and I repreat NOT high flow. It is a universal 49-state EPA Cat. It has TWO O2 Sensor Bungs. Total length is 13", with a body length of 9" and a width of 6.4". Here is a link to the site: http://www.car-sound.com/02product/displayuniversal.asp?universal=91065

The reasoning:

Personally a High Flow Cat will not be much benefit to me because I don't plan on putting a whole bunch of engine mods on this car. I don't believe I will see much HP gain by going with a HFC (not to mention the rediculous price on some of them). CELs mainly throw due to readings outside of the threshold. A HFC may throw a CEL, not positive on that, due to the volume of exhaust passing by the sensors and them having the OEM sensor threshold. With this Cat I am going with, I am almost 99% sure it won't throw a CEL. The vehicle having two O2 sensors, the first takes a reading, the exhaust hits the catalyst, and then the second sensor takes a reading; basically the ECU wants to see a variance from sensor 1 to sensor 2. This universal cat will definitely show a difference between the 2 sensors, a high flow cat usually doesn't because there isn't much catalyst inside. Most of the people running HFC have to use bung spacers which take the O2 sensor about 1/2" or more out of the flow of the exhaust to get a larger variance (i.e. cleaner exhaust reading) to fool the computer.

I know it is a long explanation, many may already know this information, and I am not assuming anyone reading this is stupid. I am hoping it may help those who haven't gotten this far yet or who has questions about what is going on and what to do.

Thanks. I like your reasoning. I realized a HFC was not the route I wanted to take either. I don't like the idea of having a CEL just chilling on my dash when other problems could arise without knowing. Have you decided on what to do about the flanges? I'm wondering if I just took my car up to the exhaust shop, they'd be able to order the necessary piping and parts. I'm keeping my stock y pipe and axleback. Plus we need the O2 extension wires to reach the cat.

Question A - Flanges

Option 1.) This site (www.mandrel-bends.com) has mild steel 2-bolt flanges but has slotted bolt holes.

Option 2.) Vibrant (Ebay for ~$22) makes Stainless Steel 2.25" flanges with two bolt holes without slots.

Kicker = I am not sure if the Vibrant ones fit the OEM gaskets.

Don't worry I have the part numbers for the OEM header gaskets and the 2 bolt gaskets from the 04 RS. I haven't ordered them so I can't verify this yet. I want to make several sections to make removal and installation easier.

Question B - Exhaust Shop

Yes, this would be easier but they tend to charge you more. If you cut everything and designed it yourself and just had them weld it then you would probably save a few bucks. Personal preference here. The madrel-bend site is directly a machine shop so you are pretty much getting these items at cost and they are way cheaper than commercial performance companies, trust me I have looked. Like Gee-Otto said these parts are like the Albino thing hiding somewhere.

Question C - O2 Sensor Wires

Don't worry, I have got you covered. Hehe, I have got my N/A peeps covered. The only reason I haven't posted it yet is because I haven't verified what length is needed. This link (http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=1395). They have 12", 24" and 36". Actually I did post it in the OP, but there it is again.

Question D - Ebay

DON'T use your PHONE to go on EBAY! Hahaha. I don't know what else to tell you. It shouldn't have been that easy to win those three, it just doesn't sound right. FYI the seller I got the Cat from was "wideopenspeed" with 100% positive feedback. I get the Cat tomorrow and will post picks.

See, I have been questioning the resonator. I have looked on Magnaflow's website at their exhaust systems for Subarus and none of them have resonators in the CBE. It is just mufflers. So I have been trying to think through it logically and this is my thoughts:

1.) When I dropped the mufflers and everything rear of the donut gasket to go to the store when I was changing the diff fluid, it sounded pretty damn loud. It sounded ricer yes, but loud.

2.) That was going through three Cats some people say. I haven't really heard the exhaust just with out mufflers but when I tried the "hogzaust" it sounded not as loud, but still ricer. Popping and the metal tinging sound like it is just ripping something a new a$$hole.

3.) Our mufflers are HUGE, like two obnoxiously ginormous fake tits getting in the way of our fun. They muffle a $h!t load of sound.

4.) The cat, it not being a HFC, should help control some of what MSPRO and others have noticed as raspy sound. If the mufflers are a semi-straight through design like Magnaflow's site says they are, then they aren't going to muffle much, some but not a whole lot. So, is a resonator necessary...depends on your goal of how loud do you want it. I think yes a resonator is necessary but which one? MSPRO used two of the round ones that I put in my post, but should I do oval to make sure there are baffles? From what I have heard they are basically large "echo" chambers of sorts that deepen the note. Now if there are baffles inside then they will do the job. BUT if they are like CherryBomb glass packs then there will not be any muffling going on at all.

5.) I am trying to see the mufflers and resonators with my own eyes before I buy them because I only want to buy them once. $143 for a muffler is a one time buy for me. I am still trying to get ahold of that place near my parents place and see if they will let me take a look at them in person. If so I will post pics on here of my findings.

Just my thoughts. Maybe some others can shed some light on the situation.

Well in addition to the lack of catalyst the other reason 06+ and newer guys get CELS is b/c the cat is so far away from the exhaust ports and it doesn't heat to the proper temp in time to start doing work. I think the ECU doesnt start to read untill youve driven a few miles (3-5) b/c it knows a cold cat is usless a cat need to be HOT!!!! The resistance to the flowing exhaust gas and the proximity to the exhaust ports make for an efficient catalytic converter.

A chambered resonator and straight thru mufflers OR two good quality chambered mufflers should work well sound wise. Our stock triangular blimps in the rear are so odd in design and yes they muffle any sound that may be produced thats why stock LGTs are silent for the most part

I've run mine with and without a resonator. Sounds nice without but there is a definite drone issue... It's really only a problem when cruising on the highway but this is when it will be most annoying and I think that's the reason most of the systems that people seek out have a resonator.

Archived