LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Options / Possibilities

after getting my uel headers with hi flow cat & hks silent mufflers. i am still getting ard the same mpg. just a 20km decrease. it's all abt the right foot i guess. on a 4eat btw. 1 full tank i can hit ard 530-550km? gonna get it tune soon with unichip q.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is no need to go with 2.5" pipe. Now getting a more free flowing cat will help the flow quite a bit (but not a race cat). Helping increase the flow decreases heat build up and increases horsepower. The flow isn't hindered very much by the 2.25" pipe, it is the cat, mufflers and resonator that just chokes the thing. Just remember with every increase in HP you are going to see a dip in your MPG.

Hey that is why I went with the MagnaFlow System b/c it is 2.5 inch front to back

08Leggy2.5i, thought I would add that I'm planning on wrapping my headers now after toasting 3 front O2 sensors in 2 years. If you haven't mounted yours yet, it's worth considering.

It's relatively common for our cars to have failing front O2 sensors if the exhaust temps drop too much before they get there.

I will paint mine with several coats of high temp header paint and then wrap with 2" DEI wrap, then use the silicone spray on top. I plan to do this fairly soon so its done for when I want to install my exhaust. Could do it all at once but the headers will likely be a multi-day job to put on enough coats of paint etc.

Hey that is why I went with the MagnaFlow System b/c it is 2.5 inch front to back

The reason I didn't go with either the Magnaflow, Borla, or Invidia was that I like the modular aspect of the other exhausts that use the factory setup with flanges at the mufflers.

Means you can mix/match mid-Y and mufflers from different manufacturers - all bolt-on.

I lost my muffler options when I had the 1 piece custom Y done my last time round with the exhaust. I wouldn't do it again.

Pretty sure the Magnaflow starts out 3" in the mid-pipe... 2 1/4" in the Y.

I've got the 3" ebay system coming (cxlighting). Went with it b/c it's simply the cheapest stainless system I could get.

No the Magnaflow is full 2.5 and it comes with a 3" to 2.5" adapter that connects it to 3" DP's but I wont need that part

Pretty sure the Magnaflow starts out 3" in the mid-pipe... 2 1/4" in the Y.

I've got the 3" ebay system coming (cxlighting). Went with it b/c it's simply the cheapest stainless system I could get.

Well i too was about to click BUY IT NOW for the CX system but i got this here Magna Flow for a ridiculously low price that isnt much over what the CX system is shipped ;)

08Leggy2.5i, thought I would add that I'm planning on wrapping my headers now after toasting 3 front O2 sensors in 2 years. If you haven't mounted yours yet, it's worth considering.

It's relatively common for our cars to have failing front O2 sensors if the exhaust temps drop too much before they get there.

I will paint mine with several coats of high temp header paint and then wrap with 2" DEI wrap, then use the silicone spray on top. I plan to do this fairly soon so its done for when I want to install my exhaust. Could do it all at once but the headers will likely be a multi-day job to put on enough coats of paint etc.

Wrapping the headers for a 06+ wont help with MIL's or the headers from cracking the newer 321 stainless steel header are TIG welded with the 308 series rods which means a good weld combination. Not to mention they use thicker primaries and 3/8" over 5/16" flanges. The real advantage is keeping exhaust gases HOT so that relocated Cat gets hot and stays hot.

The reason I didn't go with either the Magnaflow, Borla, or Invidia was that I like the modular aspect of the other exhausts that use the factory setup with flanges at the mufflers.

Means you can mix/match mid-Y and mufflers from different manufacturers - all bolt-on.

I lost my muffler options when I had the 1 piece custom Y done my last time round with the exhaust. I wouldn't do it again.

Good point! But I know that I only want the MagnaFlow and I have a stock Y pipe that I can use if I want to get a little experimental :lol:

No the Magnaflow is full 2.5 and it comes with a 3" to 2.5" adapter that connects it to 3" DP's but I wont need that part

You sure?

According to install sheet, it's 3" to 2 1/4"

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/andrewolive/3inch.jpg

CDN - I can't wrap my headers do to my local. In Houston the humidity sucks and things constantly stay wet and especially working on the island, the salty air will rust every god damn thing. The wrap absorbs the moisture and will cause more problems for me.

I finally got a MagnaFlow LGT CBE!!!! oddly enough I am more stoked about that than the UEL :confused: I love the look of the MagnaFlow system. Those tips...blisss:wub: the sound heaven:spin:

Detailed pics bro? Where did you pic them up for a ridiculously low price? PM me if you don't want to divulge to everyone.

Detailed pics bro? Where did you pic them up for a ridiculously low price? PM me if you don't want to divulge to everyone.

Hahaha I got them from a owner that bought it and didnt like the sound I reckon it is literally new and test fitted and then boxed and shipped :)

yeah i wouldnt wrap them

I finally got a MagnaFlow LGT CBE!!!! oddly enough I am more stoked about that than the UEL :confused: I love the look of the MagnaFlow system. Those tips...blisss:wub: the sound heaven:spin:

Way to go GEE!

Can you post an audio-clip for those like myself who are like-minded but slow to act? ;)

Way to go GEE!

Can you post an audio-clip for those like myself who are like-minded but slow to act? ;)

Eff yess sound clips will be posted :) As soon as that Magnaflow box hits my door step ( actually my office mail room ) it will be installed. I wonder how it will sound with the stock manifold

Wrapping the headers for a 06+ wont help with MIL's or the headers from cracking the newer 321 stainless steel header are TIG welded with the 308 series rods which means a good weld combination. Not to mention they use thicker primaries and 3/8" over 5/16" flanges. The real advantage is keeping exhaust gases HOT so that relocated Cat gets hot and stays hot.

CDN - I can't wrap my headers do to my local. In Houston the humidity sucks and things constantly stay wet and especially working on the island, the salty air will rust every god damn thing. The wrap absorbs the moisture and will cause more problems for me.

Yah, I've had my headers unwrapped for almost three years... and I've had 3 O2 sensors fail since I installed them. I'm no longer under warranty so any future O2 sensor failures, I'll have to sort out myself. I think they're failing because the exhaust gas is cooling too quickly before it hits the front one.

So, I'll wrap to keep the exhaust hotter. That's the only reason. Nothing to do with cracking.

We have a lot of salt here in the winter combined with relatively high humidity in the summer so, to prevent further corrosion, I'll make sure I prep the headers well before wrapping and then use a silicone spray or an alternative, pending further research, to help protect the wrapped product from absorbing any undue amounts of moisture. The silicone spray is to keep the wrap from getting wet apparently.

The other bonus is that it apparently improves the tone of the exhaust as well. :)

CDN 2.5i the gas cooling may promote the formation of certain compound pre converter and those accumulating compounds may cause the sensor to fail. Wrapping to kee the gases as hot as possible would be my only thought.

And people don't realize that the exhaust pulses resonate off the header primary walls as well! If you take you heat shielding off your stock unit it will sound slightly different than it did with the shielding on. Wrapped header help to cut down on audible internal resonating pulses which is piped and muffled right sounds really good

The 'version 2' borla replica headers are available on ebay for pretty cheap. I just picked up a new set to keep as a spare for $122.50 shipped from speedyracer. The V3 headers are more money and I'm not sure what's improved. The flanges definitely have a different appearance.

Well still waiting on the second set of headers but here is my present that just came off the UPS truck. My plastic one is warping from the exhaust heat.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/ackershaw/IMGP0297.jpg

jdmhatch - just read through this thread...you will find out what is best. For our N/A vehicles it is pretty much an entire custom job. You just have to decide how custom you want to go. Feel free to ask your questions, but read through first and maybe some of your questions will be answered. I used to be where you are at now, so I created this thread to help all those trying to go down the UEL path.

The 'version 2' borla replica headers are available on ebay for pretty cheap. I just picked up a new set to keep as a spare for $122.50 shipped from speedyracer. The V3 headers are more money and I'm not sure what's improved. The flanges definitely have a different appearance.

How did you get them for $122? They list for $135.

Archived