LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Glad to hear it. Nothing stops a conversion like missing parts. ;)

No sh*t! The pallet should arrive this week. I bought an OEM STi shift knob. Several quarts of Extra-S are on the way. I fully expect to go without a boot for a while until I figure out what I want to do about a shifter. For install bits, yeah, I want to be sure I have a week or so to go over parts & make sure it's all there.

Tits mcgee

Let me know when you want to sell the Cobb sts.

I have dibs on everything coming off the car...;)

Ha ha... up for grabs:

• Cobb double-adjustable STS
  • Cobb knob
  • Cobb front & rear bushings
  • Redline perf black leather shift boot
  • Group N 5MT tranny mount
  • Kartboy crossmember bushings
  • CCI stage 2 clutch & LWFW w/3000 miles
  • all OEM stuff - tranny, shifter, diff, driveshaft, etc...

I'll put up a FS thread in a couple of weeks unless someone wants to start making offers... :p

Tits mcgee

6MT rear shifter bushing is not in the list of parts needed for swap... can use stock or aftermarket 5MT?

This,

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0804072051.jpg

Then yes & your Group N 5MT tranny mount. You can use it too.

Sense I only had the OEM 5MT Trans. mount (left). I used the OEM STi mount (right) that came with my swap.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0914072340.jpg

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

As mike said the rear stay mount is the same part number for both 5 and 6 speed.

I was understanding that the 5 speed transmission mount would not work and you had to use the 6 speed mount.

I sold my group N 5 speed mount and purchased the 6 speed group N mount

DeltaNu1142 ,

IIRC the only differences mite be is the height. Check the height of the your Group N 5MT tranny mount .vs the STi mount that comes with you kit. If it's taller, you mite have clearance issue between top of trans. & drive line tunnel. Plus you will change your drive shaft pitch.

Sorry, sense I didn't use my 5MT Trans. mount. They looked the same to me & went with the STi mount, because it has less movement. Open mouth insert foot. :redface:

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Likely the difference between the trans deck-height and the STI trans-deck height. Where it aligns axially end-to-end. I'm sure there's differences model-to-model. I'd want to make sure that there's zero elevation/declination along the axis - so you're likely better served with a Spec B trans mount versus the STI or even the 5MT version, if there's differences in the mount height.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I actually think the difference is the width of the bolt holes where it bolts to the transmission.

Obviously the part that goes into the tranny crossmember is the same as the LGT crossmember works fine.

As mike said the height may be different as well.

At any rate you will def want the one from the Subaru performance catalog

I checked the service manuals and it looks like the neutral switch is the one towards the rear of both transmissions (5MT and 6MT). correct?

Go to the opposed forces website it shows a pic of the the transmission with parts labels with numbers etc

I am doing swap also and will have same parts for sale also mine has factory sts on which i reall like. After posters stuff is sold ill sell to anyone else interested.

Op i went with sti sts (my be considered sti spt sts) you can get it for under 300$ new o think its 308$ if you pull it up correctly and they run 10-20^% discounts regularly. Just cross reference parts a lot. Thete is only one sts made for spec b and newer sti's all part numbers supersede to the same newer number but i noticed you can find 3 different prices for the same sts at the sane store depending how you look it up. $308 is best i coukd fone i think 284 after 20%

If you can find a complete unit for sale for 100 or less id go for a new one. Most the time people buy a aftermarket sts which is just the lever part and sell what that replaces not the entire set up. The sti sts is actually cheaper than buying the stock sti shifter because its a complete assembly.

Go to the opposed forces website it shows a pic of the the transmission with parts labels with numbers etc

Looks like NS goes down vertical into the back of the tyranny.

The reverse backup screws in horizontal

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g12/type_19/manual_transmission/transmission_case/illustration_2/

Parts are here! Mount is attached to the tranny. Diff has lots of surface rust. Driveshaft has seen better days, but everything's here, including shifter bits & clutch. Tranny itself looks great... it should, it's a 2011.

Counting down... at least I know that if my 5MT fails in the next couple of weeks, I have an out...

Tits mcgee