LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Pinging all who have done this swap. 

Has anyone had to re-tune their car after a 5MT to 6MT conversion? I’m seeing a split, but from my understanding is I don’t. Currently tuned via AP, but I’m still going easy on the car for now. 

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, NORULZleggy said:

You do not need a tune for the STI 6MT swap. My shops does this plenty and never do a tune.

@NORULZleggyI'm running into a huge issue right now. After the drivetrain swap to the SpecB 6MT, my car is now experiencing a throttle plate issue. It's not opening correctly based on pedal input. I started another thread here, so I won't derail this one to far.

My tuner initially said the car would need to be re-tuned based on gearing related to WGDC. This could be how they tuned it. So I considered that a fair point. At the time it made sense, since after the swap I couldn't reach full boost. We have been back and forth with logs and they can't figure it out. I'm not sure if this is 100% tuning related or a mechanical issue. 

I might as well post here also. I didn't go through this thread entirely which is 100% my own fault. 

The NSS differs between the 05-06 and 07+ model years. I figured this out by using the AP logging gear position. It continued to think I was in neutral while in gear. When out of gear, the gear determination logic thought I was in gear (6 through 1). In short, the switch in the earlier years is normally open, later years is normally closed.

Wish me luck on the swap out. I'm attempting to do this without dropping the transmission fully. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cross-posting to share relevant info for future swaps.

The correct neutral sensor switch (NSS) swapped out. The key to getting enough space to get to the sensor is unbolting the driveshaft. It allows the trans to pivot / tilt just enough to get your arm through with a 19mm wrench. Test the switch out by rowing through the gears and watching your AP monitoring Gear Position. Neutral should be 0. In gear is 6 when the car is not moving. I tested this with the car still on jack stands.

The part number for the NSS is 32008AA181. This is the correct length so you don't have to extend / splice your existing 5MT NSS (LGT 07+ only). For the 05-06 years, you'll need to extend your existing NSS since the STI transmission switch is on top vs side (5MT). This part was on backorder from Subaru so I had to call a few shops to see if they had one available. Luckily, Rallispec had one so I didn't have to find one from a junkyard. 

Here's a great write up from iWire about the NSS changes between model years - https://iwireusa.com/blogs/iwire-university/neutral-position-switch-and-your-subaru-transmission-swap

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm new here and I just got my first Subaru. I ended up getting a 2010 Legacy GT Wagon. Now, guys, I just want to ask if it's worth it to swap my automatic transmission into a 6-speed manual transmission. Alternatively, should I sell my LGT and get a WRX Impreza?

By the way, here in Asia, I can easily find the parts needed for the swap, so sourcing them is not a problem. The cost of parts and labor for the installation is what I'm considering. It might cost me the same as a used WRX Impreza with a 5 or 6-speed manual transmission in mint or pristine condition.

Before going down the route of this swap, I would appreciate your suggestions, advice, and kind opinions.

Thank you in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2024 at 9:09 AM, One68 said:

I'm new here and I just got my first Subaru. I ended up getting a 2010 Legacy GT Wagon. Now, guys, I just want to ask if it's worth it to swap my automatic transmission into a 6-speed manual transmission. Alternatively, should I sell my LGT and get a WRX Impreza?

By the way, here in Asia, I can easily find the parts needed for the swap, so sourcing them is not a problem. The cost of parts and labor for the installation is what I'm considering. It might cost me the same as a used WRX Impreza with a 5 or 6-speed manual transmission in mint or pristine condition.

Before going down the route of this swap, I would appreciate your suggestions, advice, and kind opinions.

Thank you in advance.

Ooh, an easy answer. Yes! Sell it, and get "a used WRX Impreza with a 5 or 6-speed manual transmission in mint or pristine condition."

• Like 2

MILKRUN  - Click Here