LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

So... I have the car back. Seems good. The most noticeable difference between cruising with the 5MT and with the 6MT is the HOWL from the 5MT is gone. I didn't realize how bad it was until I got ride of it.

I'm hearing a bit of a "crunch" in the front on uneven bumps. Over speed bumps where both wheels hit simultaneously, it's as solid as ever. I'll get under the car next week when I change the oil. I can't tell if what I'm hearing is OK, but it's actually not loud at all, so I'm going to let it ride for awhile.

Tits mcgee

Well, put down a deposit for a very complete spec.b swap tonight. Will see where this takes me...

It could take you to......" A little time apart " from your spouse ?

Seriously though, If she gives you grief about buying a transmission, just stay strong. I have been there, and I have done the math. The Spec B 6speed swap pays for itself in "gas mileage savings" in just a little more than 13 years. If she doesn't understand that then she is completely unreasonable, not you.:)

Edited by KCwagon

Well, I finally have decided to pull the trigger on a swap I've been looking at for roughly 2 years. I haven't been a member here that long, but I read NSFW's 6MT Swap thread over and over, and now this thread multiple times. I wouldn't be doing it now, except my 3rd gear decided to go nuclear a few weeks ago.

I was hoping for some thoughts from anyone here who wants to chime in. I have gone the same route as NSFW for the most part. 05 Sti trans and r180 rear diff, I already have, and everything else is pretty much on order. Of course the spec b rear axles are being a pain to source, so if anyone has any thoughts on that, it would be greatly appreciated.

I had an CM FX300 previously, and loved many things about it, but I am leaning towards an ACT. The thing is, I am at about 405awhp and 440awtq, so I am trying to make sure I make a good clutch decision. Does anyone who has done this swap run these kind of power levels? I am currently debating between the act xtss 6 puck, or act xtss full-face. Any thoughts?

Forgive the lengthy post, i have a lot of these swap questions on my mind.

I bought my spec B rear axles from Heuberger Subaru. They had the best price I could find.

What turbo are you running? E85 fuel? Trying to determine if your 440 wtq number is inflated or not. The ACT XTSS full face is rated for 510 ft lb of torque at the crank with the 6 speed.

• Moderators
It could take you to......" A little time apart " from your spouse ?

Seriously though, If she gives you grief about buying a transmission, just stay strong. I have been there, and I have done the math. The Spec B 6speed swap pays for itself in "gas mileage savings" in just a little more than 13 years. If she doesn't understand that then she is completely unreasonable, not you.:)

Thanks, I'm sure she'll just roll over and admit that I'm being responsible and environmentally conscious! :lol:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

While removing the reverse lockout pin from the stock STi shifter, I broke the nipple off the end of the cable. I've ordered the part number from the first post, hoping that cable mates up to the 2010 STi tranny.

After I fix that to the Cobb shifter & then repair my electrics (iPhone charger plug & reverse camera button are both under the shifter trim), then, I'll be done with this, knock on wood...

Tits mcgee

I bought my spec B rear axles from Heuberger Subaru. They had the best price I could find.

What turbo are you running? E85 fuel? Trying to determine if your 440 wtq number is inflated or not. The ACT XTSS full face is rated for 510 ft lb of torque at the crank with the 6 speed.

I am running an AVO380@20psi, AVO FMIC, AVO Fuel Pump, DW850 Injectors, Full Forged internals, Bored over to roughly 2.55L. Tuned very well by Surgeline Tuning(Cobb).

It needs to be re-tuned, and I would bet after around 30k of hard driving and many launches on this tune, that it will show slightly less power if re-dyno'd.

No insult at all, just what the dyno said, that doesn't always mean it's 100% correct. Not only that, it was done on a mustang dyno, and I am very interested what a hub dyno shows. My E85 tune is 450awhp@22psi, and I can tell you it moves on that tune. It just seems like the psi numbers don't match the power level, but whatever, it's getting re-tuned with water/meth soon anyways.

Also, I appreciate your input, as I wanted something different clutch-wise. Any other recommendations? I am willing to accept any input.

Anyone here have trans mount recommendations? I am looking at the cusco trans and motor mounts, just hoping for an idea of what most people like with the 6spd. I don't really mind NVH even though it's my DD.

I know Mike likes Clutch Master clutches. I have no personal experience with that brand, but he likes to recommend it.

I'm running full Group N mounts. If you don't launch the car hard, they are a nice upgrade. I think the Cusco mounts are more aggressive with polyurethane bushings and will hold up to hard launches and abuse better but will add a lot of NVH.

I run BC BR coilovers, set low, but not too low, IMO (see vBGallery link in my sig, last photo)... I noticed yesterday while changing my oil that after the swap, my front end sits a little lower. My bumper cover dragged slightly on the ramps while driving up on them, and I've tapped my midpipe muffler on a couple speedbumps that were never an issue before. YMMV.
Tits mcgee

• Moderators
I run BC BR coilovers, set low, but not too low, IMO (see vBGallery link in my sig, last photo)... I noticed yesterday while changing my oil that after the swap, my front end sits a little lower. My bumper cover dragged slightly on the ramps while driving up on them, and I've tapped my midpipe muffler on a couple speedbumps that were never an issue before. YMMV.

Makes sense since there's a bit of extra weight up there now.

Discovered that the STI shift linkage coupler is different. The trans I bought didn't come with one and neither did the new entire linkage... There are some versions of the STI short shifter linkage that don't have the coupler rod and new joint. So here are some part numbers to keep my sanity and maybe help someone:

35035AG030 x2

35046FE010

35041AE010

35044AG030

Edited by Th3Franz

• Moderators

Brand new '07 STi transmission for sale on Nasioc if anyone is looking: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2555590

Not everyday you see a brand new transmission that could be snagged for less than retail...

Last Friday I ordered parts for R180 rear diff. swap. Used 05 STi R180 (under 60k), new 07-09 Spec.B axles, axle seals, diff. cover & front diff. mount.

If parts come in on time. I finely complete my STi drive train swap this coming up weekend. The R160 lasted over 156k of hard driving ( drag strip, & towing 3500lbs & 120 mile daily commute).

FYI on 07-09 Spec.B axle owners. I talk to a friend that's part owner of a NAPA store. He called his supplier, They have the axle, but Subaru as not released them to the aftermarket. So they can't sell them to us. You have to go through Subaru. But if you own a pair, Napa can send them in to get re-manufactured. That what I was told.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

It's funny, I have followed this thread back when Hammer Down and NSFW had separate threads, before I even had an account here, and always wondered why it was so difficult to find the SpecB axles, besides the limited production of the car. Now it makes more sense.

Does anyone know the differences between the SpecB and STi versions of the Cobb STS? Trying to determine if one or the other is necessary with my 05STi 6MT that is going in this coming weekend. Same with stainless steel clutch lines, does anyone know if I need a SpecB specific part? I have tried to search these forums and spent a good amount of time cross-referencing on opposedforces.com, but I haven't been able to find anything conclusive for either question. :( Any help is greatly appreciated. And if I have missed something in my searching, feel free to let me know that I should have looked harder.

Brand new '07 STi transmission for sale on Nasioc if anyone is looking: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2555590

Not everyday you see a brand new transmission that could be snagged for less than retail...

That's from STM back east. They have a STI that they lost interest in building and it is all up for sale; brembos, CF driveshaft, etc...

https://www.facebook.com/emery.kapral?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/pages/STMtunedcom/127422433399

Does anyone know the differences between the SpecB and STi versions of the Cobb STS?

I have the Spec B Cobb STS on my 2010 STi tranny, and I wish I had the STi.

The main difference I can see is the upper shaft. The STi boot is fixed to the shifter differently.

Tits mcgee