LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

I did my own. Reverse lights work, and the reverse light lead triggers the cam display on the head unit. It's probably just an unhooked wire.

Thanks for the tip on the shifter! I'll play with it next weekend.

Oh I gotcha wasn't thinking camera.

OK... anyone have ideas on what a persistent front-end knock would be? 2010 STi transmission, 2009 LGT, OEM axles. 24 hours on the swap. On the way home, I had the tech listen. He figured some binding in the driveshaft or front axles... I told him I'd drop it off tomorrow. On the way home, it got worse. Knocks over every bump. Knocks every time I tap the brakes. Knocks on turns. I put it on jack stands, moved the wheels lock-to-lock... Tried to jiggle everything. RSB, end links tight. Control arms tight. Axles jiggle a little. Not in & out so much, and just a little bit. Dropped it & rolled it forward, and it knocked again in the first inch or so.

No ideas. Not sure I want to drive it to the shop or anywhere else.

I'm inches from selling this car. 44k miles on it & nothing but problems in the 18 months/12k-ish miles I've owned it. I thought the 6-speed was the answer to my final problems, but more keep cropping up.

Tits mcgee

Sounds like your top hat bearing may be going. Does it do it only on straight/flat sections, only on turns or bumps, or combination? Also could be a failing/improperly installed lower ball joint - which given the recent install - that's where I'd start.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have coilovers. I brought it by the shop yesterday because of the intermittent knock... unrelated to cornering, bumps, or accel/decel. I could turn back & forth in a parking lot with no troubles, only to have it knock (loud) on a flat section. The one that surprised me was heading back to the shop, 5mph, in neutral on completely flat ground with the clutch out, *knock*. I decided I'd go home & drop it off today. However, on the subsequent 15 miles going home, it got worse & worse, and eventually knocked over every bump and every time I tap the brakes.

I have a flatbed coming. I can't keep messing with this car. It needs to be fixed. I went with the 6MT as a replacement for the obviously f*ked up 5MT. The 6MT shifts great. Until this knock, it was suddenly so quiet to drive. From reading this thread, I had hoped it would be a bolt-on fix for my failing transmission, but now I've got a new problem.

Tits mcgee

Just on random chance did you check the brake calipers? I've had a bolt back out of one and the caliper loose on the hub. It sounded a lot like a ball joint going or suspension issues but it was intermittent since sometimes it rubbed the inside of the wheel and/or clunked, sometimes it didn't. Drove me nearly insane trying to find it, but once I did, it was fixed in about 30 seconds and was never heard from again.

Oh, and I'll post my full 6MT swap parts list here in a few weeks once I get the car running. This full wagon rebuild has turned into quite the odyssey.

Edited by BlackHole
Kyle "BlackHole"

Just on random chance did you check the brake calipers? I've had a bolt back out of one and the caliper loose on the hub. It sounded a lot like a ball joint going or suspension issues but it was intermittent since sometimes it rubbed the inside of the wheel and/or clunked, sometimes it didn't.

That was one of the first things I checked when I started hearing the noise when tapping the brakes. I've had that happen on a motorcycle before, and recognized the behavior. Nope. All calipers are tight.

The shop has the car. They said that it's on the rack & they're looking at it. I'm carless until they tell me something more, so they'd better have news by 5pm.

Tits mcgee

The shop couldn't get another car off the lift today, so mine never made it up. They tell me they rolled it around in 1st with the hood open to listen for noise. They say it's behind the firewall & under the car, so they're going with driveshaft... but they need to get it into the air to find out.

I'm pissed. 50 miles round trip for my wife to bring me to work today. 50 miles to pick me up tonight, and looks like another 50 tomorrow morning.

Tits mcgee

Were they stock ball joints? No way these should be failing on a Southern car (heck even a Northern car) at 44K miles. Sounds like an incorrect seating in the hub assembly and/or that the retaining bolt wasn't properly set. I know WL had issues with the initial RC/BSK ball joints run and replaced them under warranty

Called it. Why did they even mess with the castle nut - that presumes that they attempted or took the BJ off. The retainer bolt/nut yes, to get it out of it's seat and move the hub, but no need to remove the BJ to pull the axles. :confused:

Called it. Why did they even mess with the castle nut - that presumes that they attempted or took the BJ off. The retainer bolt/nut yes, to get it out of it's seat and move the hub, but no need to remove the BJ to pull the axles. :confused:

Many shops pop the ball joint out to flip wheels forward to more easily pull axels out of hub and transmission.

My guess is that is what was done.

Whut? This is a Subaru shop? There's only a few things it could be.

Eh. Define "Subaru shop." They say they've swapped Subie transmissions before. They have a '04 STi they're putting a FMIC & fuel mods into. They have a Mustang AWD dyno. I guess it's a Subaru shop, I dunno. I'm beginning to wonder.

Tits mcgee

Many shbops pop the ball joint out to flip wheels forward to more easily pull axels out of hub and transmission.

My guess is that is what was done.

That's what I was referring to... "popping" it out. No need to remove the BJ to pop it out of the control arm / hub interface point. Undo the retaining "clamp" bol (not the castle nut), leverage down on the control arm and pop it loose from its seat in the the bottom of the hub, swing the hub out of the way, slide the axle out, slide the axle in, align the BJ with it's seat in the hub, slide it back in, tighten the clamp bolt, done with the BJ.

Eh. Define "Subaru shop." They say they've swapped Subie transmissions before. They have a '04 STi they're putting a FMIC & fuel mods into. They have a Mustang AWD dyno. I guess it's a Subaru shop, I dunno. I'm beginning to wonder.

If there's head scratching going on, on something as simple as this, that always causes me to wonder.