LegacyGT.com

Dealer tech takes my car on a 'test drive', at WOT... And I have video evidence...

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just called and had a word with the manager there. He didn't ask to see the video but he knows who was driving. I got apologies from him, and he's on his way to talk with the techs now....

So you think the manager was in on this too? From what you are saying, it sounds like the manager knew exactly what happened, but wasn't going to discipline the techs unless you made a big deal about it.

So you think the manager was in on this too? From what you are saying, it sounds like the manager knew exactly what happened, but wasn't going to discipline the techs unless you made a big deal about it.

+1

So he's saying he knows who the bad eggs are at his dealership and has allowed them to stay employed there?! :eek:

Makes the manager just as at fault as the clowns driving the car.

At the very least you can post your videos on youtube with a lot of tags that relate to the dealership and present evidence on how unprofessional they are.

I forget what people use as the main tags, but there is an ever increasing trend of posting videos of defective craftsmanship, parts, etc regarding products that crapped out on people with no love from the manufacturers or warranty companies. This way there's a consumer tool that holds these guys more accountable and gives a "heads up" to other potential buyers/clients.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of subbie owners (and other car owners that the dealership pertains to) in your area that would be very interested in seeing this video.

i know you are being the better person and taking the high road, but you're being a bit too lenient on them. i'm not one for vengeance really, but you need something.

you arent giving your car to the dealer so the tech's can use it as a toy "for testing"....you're giving your car to them to do repair work and make sure it is done properly. this is a complete slap in the face to the customer. you're trusting them with something that most cant afford and they're beating on it. even if it is "only" high revving and speeding, it is not the least bit professional. they are luck you arent pursuing further damages as i'm sure you would be able to no problem, but something needs to be done about this.

Not the donut reference....It was in the Q&A with the Captain in Nam...when the soldiers couldn't find Charlie after the fire-fight.

"Joker,where's the donut?Here we print two types of stories.Ones where soldiers give half of their pay to buy gooks deoderant and tooth paste.And confirmed kills.Now surely there must have been someone who can verify a body?"

"How about an officer sir?"

I only read the first page but this reminds me of something that happened to me a few years ago.

I used to work for Lee Auto delivering auto parts to all the shops. Well earlier in the day I had dropped my car off to have some aftermarket exhaust work done. I had a GTP that was loud and had drag radials and was a mid 13 second car. Well one of my deliveries happened to take my right by the shop I dropped my car off at. To my surprise as I was coming around the lot my car was backing out into the alley behind the shop. I went into the lot and went around to the back to see that my car which had been there 3 seconds before was gone and there was a cloud of smoke and 2 long black patches on the road. I didn't see the car anywhere and made my delivery and continued to work. I went after work to pick up my car and they said it was on a test drive. So meaning it was going for a joy ride again. Instead of chewing them out I just kept my mouth shut and spread the word. See this was in my highschool days where everyone raced there cars and betted and I knew a lot of the big name guys. Word spread enough about the abuse on cars that this small new performance shop went under real soon.

To bad this is a big shop and that probably won't work but you spread the word to enough subaru guys and it will sure hurt there business. That should give you a little gratification.

Just saw this thread. Man...I think any car enthusiast has a fear of what you have PROOF of! I agree with some of the other guys that you are being just a little too easy on them. Sure you aren't out to get a free car, but as a Manager in customer service, I know that you will never be back. Even if I offered some serious compensation, you might never come back. Plus, you just shared this with hundreds of people who are now going to make sure they never go to this place.

Isn't there some sort of privacy law that prohibits filming people without their knowledge?

The cameras are not hidden. And at the beginning of the video teh two techs are talking about the camera and microphone - so there is no "without their knowledge".

I'll be headed up there later this week and I'll talk with the manager again. IF I get a sense that he didn't take it seriously then I'll go one step up. I still have no 'damages' that I can claim though, so I'm not going to gain anything by kicking and screaming like a Chinese woman who missed her plane. :lol:

I have used this bodyshop a couple of times in the past, and this car has been there before (roadrager incident). They always do the job right - they just had a couple of yahoo techs that need to be reined in. I don't think this is indicative of the bodyshop as a whole, so I have no desire to hurt the bodyshop.

I'm going through the video now adding subtitles; "I'm gonna give it some clutch, something a little special, a little B&M special back there...". I'm also going to disguise the dealership name because I don't want my ass to get sued. Of course anyone local who sees the video is going to know who it is...

As this was an insurance referral / approved bodyshop, I'm also going to drop a line to my insurance agent. I'm sure he will be interested too.

The cameras are not hidden. And at the beginning of the video teh two techs are talking about the camera and microphone - so there is no "without their knowledge".

I'll be headed up there later this week and I'll talk with the manager again. IF I get a sense that he didn't take it seriously then I'll go one step up. I still have no 'damages' that I can claim though, so I'm not going to gain anything by kicking and screaming like a Chinese woman who missed her plane. :lol:

I have used this bodyshop a couple of times in the past, and this car has been there before (roadrager incident). They always do the job right - they just had a couple of yahoo techs that need to be reined in. I don't think this is indicative of the bodyshop as a whole, so I have no desire to hurt the bodyshop.

I'm going through the video now adding subtitles; "I'm gonna give it some clutch, something a little special, a little B&M special back there...". I'm also going to disguise the dealership name because I don't want my ass to get sued. Of course anyone local who sees the video is going to know who it is...

As this was an insurance referral / approved bodyshop, I'm also going to drop a line to my insurance agent. I'm sure he will be interested too.

And why would you be sued? If you're just posting a video you couldn't be sued for defamation as you're not hurting anyone's reputations. On what grounds could the dealer come after you?

As a dealer tech I have no excuse as to what those techs did. There is absolutely no justification for it either. I had a similiar experience happen when I was thinking about trading in my Mustang Cobra when the used car manager did a similiar road test (and my clutch never did feel the same way again).

That being said a new car and owning the dealership is completley unrealistic. From what it sounds like(and I am possibly wrong here) he did not buy the car new. No one died, and they weren't rolling down a road made of puppies and kittens. Again I am not defending their actions, but a new car is a lot excessive.

(FYI most cars coming off the transporter have a few miles on them. Part of the new car inspection is to put miles on the car for most manufacturers. Back in my Jeep days I found more then a couple problems by doing that simple road test on a new car. Don't forget most dealers put a full tank of gas in the car too which requires them to drive to a gas station. Some dealers also do not detail their own cars which also requires them to drive the car there and back.)

You don't know what future problems may occur. They were driving the car cold hard which isn't good. They wree putting a lot of stress on the clutch. They also put a lot of stress on the synchronizers in the transmission. Remember the trans uses fluid too and from personal experience I know my trans doesn't like shifting fast when it's cold out. Not only that but the shock load they may have put on the the synchros by speed shifting and dumping the clutch between shifts.

I will say you have been a lot nicer about things then I would have been. I would have gone to the general manager if not the owner and basically said along the lines of how do they want to rectify the situation. More then likely the gm just took what you said in one ear and it went out the other. As someone already said if he knew immediately who the driver was (in which you said there was a time when they were going to do an awd burnout but got stopped around the corner. That person could have been the service manager, or gm) that those persons have probably done it before and didn't get the message. Which means they'll just keep doing it over and over again until they actually wreck someones car.

Archived