LegacyGT.com

Switchblade/Flip Key

DocHolladay23

hmmm, tempting since mine broke and have reverted back to the old key. I wonder if my key blade would work on these. Would just have to get the dealership to program and incert my blade. hmmmm.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmmm, tempting since mine broke and have reverted back to the old key. I wonder if my key blade would work on these. Would just have to get the dealership to program and incert my blade. hmmmm.

Well if you send me your old flip key I can probably put the blade and your transponder in it. lmk

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n227/OOOVICT0ROOO/DSC_0003-3.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n227/OOOVICT0ROOO/DSC_0004-3.jpg

Would anyone be interested in a flip key like the above? I will have 3 of them with transponders, all electronics, and key blanks for sale soon. I went on a rampage and bought a few extras of everything. I have everything but the key blanks and they should be here anyday now. It will be completely assenbled and ready for cutting/programming when you get it. I would like to get $60 each plus shipping. PM if you are interested.

Where did you get the key blanks from? I have everything else except those.

Well if you send me your old flip key I can probably put the blade and your transponder in it. lmk

I think that I just might take you up on that.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Yes and yes. You just ahve to take all of your cars to the dealer for them to program them to your car. Luckily, I have a friend that works at the dealer that is going to take care of me:)

The blanks were a pita to find but hopefully what I got will fit.

for the key portion, I just went to a key smith and had them cut a old school valet key (all metal) and cut it down. It works great.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Are these still available?

how/where do I get a Flip fob to fit a tear drop style remote?

I have a 2008 Impreza WRX, with separate remote 4 button and the transponder key.

I have searched all over, and looked at ebay but cannot find any key blanks of my style.

I can make one myself, but if someone knows how this is done I'll pay.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

• 7 months later...

My old honda shell is getting a bit beat up so I was checking out the link Tehnation was mentioning...here is current listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLIP-KEYLESS-FOB-KEY-CASE-FOR-SUBARU-REMOTE-3-BUTTON-/140606372674?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20bccafb42&vxp=mtr

Has anyone tried this for 08+ by dremeling out space for panic button?

• 2 weeks later...
My old honda shell is getting a bit beat up so I was checking out the link Tehnation was mentioning...here is current listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLIP-KEYLESS-FOB-KEY-CASE-FOR-SUBARU-REMOTE-3-BUTTON-/140606372674?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20bccafb42&vxp=mtr

I've got that key and got around the panic button by removing the red plastic part of the button before inserting the module into the key. As a bonus, I don't have to worry about my kids setting off the panic alarm every time they grab the keys.

If you get one of these, don't forget to transfer the immobilizer chip from the donor key or you won't be able to use it. I found I had to put it in the flip mechanism to get the chip close enough to the ignition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Don't forget to transfer the immobilizer chip from the donor key or you won't be able to use it. I found I had to put it in the flip mechanism to get the chip close enough to the ignition.

Also, my locksmith had to file down the thickness of the key to get it to go in.

Hey, kudos on your guts to try this.

There are better remotes than that one. what you gonna do for buttons?

The flip Fob in the first post with the Chrome edges Fob from Hyndai was my first flip i used on my conversion, does not have a button on the back for trunk but just hit unlock twice and it's unlocked. it last about 1yr+ the plastic chrome wears all off as well as the buttons silver then the key ring breaks as it's all china plastic.

I searched ebay for while last night and found this one which has a button on the back for the truck, the lock unlock are in the right location and it has a breefier key ring hold. the most important factor is the inside is big enough for your remote to fit inside the new fob. I have yet to receive. I may write it up on here when I receive it in the mail

Here is what I did. I used my dremel to cut and sand down the original subaru fob remote of the plastic that holds the circuit board as small as possible.I slide inside the fob and It works great!, Never had an issue.

I did that back in 2008 with a Honda shell. It worked well until the flip mechanism started to wear (took a couple years)

I will try to find the pictures that I posted early on in this thread (page 6).

IIRC, I had to file out space for the panic button as well as dremel out some of the internals since the Honda electronics were a little slimmer than the Subaru internals

Hey, kudos on your guts to try this.

There are better remotes than that one. what you gonna do for buttons?

The flip Fob in the first post with the Chrome edges Fob from Hyndai was my first flip i used on my conversion, does not have a button on the back for trunk but just hit unlock twice and it's unlocked. it last about 1yr+ the plastic chrome wears all off as well as the buttons silver then the key ring breaks as it's all china plastic.

I searched ebay for while last night and found this one which has a button on the back for the truck, the lock unlock are in the right location and it has a breefier key ring hold. the most important factor is the inside is big enough for your remote to fit inside the new fob. I have yet to receive. I may write it up on here when I receive it in the mail

Here is what I did. I used my dremel to cut and sand down the original subaru fob remote of the plastic that holds the circuit board as small as possible.I slide inside the fob and It works great!, Never had an issue.

The 2010 legacy key has a screw that holds it together. If you take that out the buttons and battery all just fall out and it would fit right in the key. I can move the immobilizer fairly easily and put it in the flip key. I am just worried where I am going to be able to find a place to laser cut my key.

Archived