LegacyGT.com

$340 XO2 Racing FMIC install pictures(56k beware)

itsme

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just took off the adapter.

with flange on VF40:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/190930-1.jpg

without flange on 20G:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/131419.jpg

It's very simple.

hey thanks... i thought so... thats what it looked like but i just wasnt sure... and did you just use the silicone coupler that originally connected to the flange and just put it directly to the turbo?? it doesnt get too hot?? i dont wanna fuse my coupler to my turbo... hahaha... you know the piping that the BOV is welded onto?? i was looking at that piece the other day and noticed that one end is cut at like a slanted angle?? now the slanted angle connects to the other IC piping and the side that cut straight goes into the manifold right? thanks again :)

Got the FMIC on last night... Test drove it, popped a hose (thankfully I brought the tools to fix the pop), did some more hard pulls and its holding strong so far. I also put the STi BOV on instead of the legacy one and its got some wicked bov sounds now :)

Hoping that the hoses hold strong and dont pop off... Really dont wanna have to rip anything apart to fix the dang things again. Install was a pain IMO, but should be well worth it once I have the VF39 on and a tune.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I'm not sure if anyone else has done this or not, but I couldn't stand the way the pipes were routed with the stock turbo so I came up with this. Its pretty easy to do, and I think it looks way better. Sorry for the picture quality, they're taken from my cell.

310495439_Picture015.thumb.jpg.f95bc17176b763452f1f47c42f7a0544.jpg

1263764599_Picture010.thumb.jpg.836b0f95fc74a56ecaed788fe9b5da99.jpg

looks nice... Only issue would be for anyone that would want to use an STi style turbo later down the line (myself) otherwise that would have been a great option.

I decided not to hack up the original piping just for that reason, and ordered the hoses and extra piping from a vender on ebay.

I decided not to hack up the original piping just for that reason, and ordered the hoses and extra piping from a vender on ebay.

Great idea :) Might wanna post which pipes you used then for others. Could be very helpful for those not wanting/needing to go the STi route.

Great idea :) Might wanna post which pipes you used then for others. Could be very helpful for those not wanting/needing to go the STi route.

Thanks, I'll post a pic tomorrow of the pipe I used. I have a couple more just like it. The piping kit I ordered was from cxracing. I was in need of some news hose clamps anyway so I figured I would just order a cheap kit and see what I could come up with.

...and did you just use the silicone coupler that originally connected to the flange and just put it directly to the turbo?? it doesnt get too hot?? i dont wanna fuse my coupler to my turbo...

Removed the bumper, did some realigning, started wrapping the hot IC pipes, added the fog light covers and took some really crappy BB phone pics...the covers clean up the front end very nicely!

IMG00033.thumb.jpg.0f11b1ec97dc86a9f45f7c9324fb23ca.jpg

IMG00031.thumb.jpg.9aed9274aafda9f597f09d50501ee072.jpg

IMG00032.thumb.jpg.e0f8995ca6365875130dc3c4373afd84.jpg

I'm not sure if anyone else has done this or not, but I couldn't stand the way the pipes were routed with the stock turbo so I came up with this. Its pretty easy to do, and I think it looks way better. Sorry for the picture quality, they're taken from my cell.

[ATTACH]67886[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]67887[/ATTACH]

that looks really good... i was gonna do something like that as well if i was go use the stock setup.... ur eliminating quite a bit of piping...

You can get if from summitpref.com or from a local speed shop. It's just fiberglass header wrap.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Question for itsme, or anyone who knows...

Where do you order the heat wrapping, for a good price, and how much would you need to get the hot and cold side wrapped?

This is what I used:

http://www.xtremediesel.com/thermotecexhaustinsulatinggraphiteblackwrap11154.aspx

Not sure if you are interested, but I am going to have a ton of leftover wrap (thermo-tec) in black 2" X 1/16" X 15'. I bought 5 rolls and I think I will only use 2 of them since I am only wrapping the intake and the hotside.

on the pipe that the BOV is welded to... does the slanted end connect to the other IC piping and the flat end go into the manifold?? or vise versa?

Flat end goes to the TB and the slanted edge makes the turn by the fuel lines. I would scuff the end of the pipes and/or get a hump coupler so that you get a good bite with the clamp on the turn connection.

Reference pic:

1230366473_CIMG3039-Copy.JPG.a8e92a214daf6db14667b51764eaadba.JPG

on the pipe that the BOV is welded to... does the slanted end connect to the other IC piping and the flat end go into the manifold?? or vise versa?

Flat end to manifold and slanted end to the other piping. You probably want to get a hump coupler as well for the slanted side (look on page 1 of this thread for the link, extremepsi.com) I keep blowing that coupler off about every other day regardless of how tight I make the connection :S

Also, check to make sure the height of the flange (and the placement) are spot on. Mine is a little too high, so the bov hits the hood just a little, and we had to fab up a new recirc hose fitting so that I could use the BOV cause the actual angle and placement of the bov flange wasnt exactly where I needed it (I measured it before, but I didnt get the placement exactly where it should have been, basically I messed up, and so we had some interesting times trying to get the recirc hose to fit the bov, ended up having to cut and customize the fit, was a PITA)

Flat end to manifold and slanted end to the other piping. You probably want to get a hump coupler as well for the slanted side (look on page 1 of this thread for the link, extremepsi.com) I keep blowing that coupler off about every other day regardless of how tight I make the connection :S

Also, check to make sure the height of the flange (and the placement) are spot on. Mine is a little too high, so the bov hits the hood just a little, and we had to fab up a new recirc hose fitting so that I could use the BOV cause the actual angle and placement of the bov flange wasnt exactly where I needed it (I measured it before, but I didnt get the placement exactly where it should have been, basically I messed up, and so we had some interesting times trying to get the recirc hose to fit the bov, ended up having to cut and customize the fit, was a PITA)

do you maybe have a picture of what you mean?? i plan on doing the install myself.. .but i have to take the piping to get that flange welded on first... thats y i wanted to make sure which end goes where... didnt wanna accidentally weld it on the bottom of the pipe :lol:

Flat end goes to the TB and the slanted edge makes the turn by the fuel lines. I would scuff the end of the pipes and/or get a hump coupler so that you get a good bite with the clamp on the turn connection.

Reference pic:

[ATTACH]68045[/ATTACH]

thanks a lot!! i thought thats where it went but wanted to make sure before i made a REALLY big mistake :)

pretty much i should get it welded more on the side of the piping and not straight up and down??

pretty much i should get it welded more on the side of the piping and not straight up and down??

A lot of it depends on which BOV you're planning on using. I used the STi bov because I'm going to be putting on a VF39 soon. I was stupid and had the flange welded directly on top of the piping, if it was welded towards the back side of the piping (closer to the driver rather than the front of the vehicle - outside of the bend) then it would have been a perfect fit (because of the elbow on the sti bov) But if your going with the stock BOV, then you'll have to fit the flange differently because there is no elbow on the stock bov.

If you're going with an aftermarket bov, then you'd have to assess which angle would work best for that one as well.

I'll try and get some pictures later to show you what I had to do. Maybe it will help people down the line so they dont mess up like I did.

^ yea that would be great... i already have the HKS ssqv BOV with a custom stock flange so i was gonna weld the stock BOV flange so i can just fit this one.... its full VTA right now but i do plan on doing full recirc later... (maybe, if im not too lazy) i just kinda need a idea of where to weld it....

Archived