LegacyGT.com

So I just picked up one of these....Subaru Front LSD

whitetiger

Went up to Central Cali and back with the car and put it thru the paces. Despite it not "bolting" in without modification, the diff is performing well. It pulls you around while getting on the throttle sooner, and i'm able to hold lines better at higher speeds. All-in-all im happy with it and can't wait to try it out at the autox event coming up. I'd try it at the track but will not have time as i'm deploying to the middle east before then (guess i'll have to wait till i get back).

Although the diff is performing as it should and I'm overall happy with the results, looking back i'd probably go with the JDM part like whitetiger and suggest others do the same to save yourself the pain I had to go through. Being the guinea sux :p

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Anyone know a source for these units? I need one fast. Also, I see several helical front LSD units on ebay that fit 02 - 06 WRX 5-speed. I don't suppose they'd fit an 05 LGT?

Call RalliSpec. They'll answer alllll your drivetrain questions!

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I am talking with Rallispec, as well as Manchester Subaru (thank you Matt), and Dentsport garage in Norwood, MA. The problem is that I need this done before the end of October because I'm neck and neck for the championship in my road racing class and that's the last event. Manchester Subaru says they can do the job in one day once I find the LSD (JDM helical LSD for LGT 5-speed). They say they can get it, but Rallispec says it's a Japan-only part and may take 3 weeks to get. Rallispec also says they can get me a Quaif LSD for more money, but I'm hesitant to install a unit I've never heard a review on. So, I'm beating the bushes looking for a JDM helical hoping I can get it installed here in NH - the thought of sitting in a motel in NJ for a few days is not appealing (no offense New Jerseyites).

I am talking with Rallispec, as well as Manchester Subaru (thank you Matt), and Dentsport garage in Norwood, MA. The problem is that I need this done before the end of October because I'm neck and neck for the championship in my road racing class and that's the last event. Manchester Subaru says they can do the job in one day once I find the LSD (JDM helical LSD for LGT 5-speed). They say they can get it, but Rallispec says it's a Japan-only part and may take 3 weeks to get. Rallispec also says they can get me a Quaif LSD for more money, but I'm hesitant to install a unit I've never heard a review on. So, I'm beating the bushes looking for a JDM helical hoping I can get it installed here in NH - the thought of sitting in a motel in NJ for a few days is not appealing (no offense New Jerseyites).

I also suggest going with the JDM unit for ease of install. The unit I have was for "02-06 subaru transmissions". It fits and works fine, but was a pain up until then. If you're in that much of a bind you could try one of those units and maybe, just maybe it might bolt directly on -- you never know.

If not, then I did the legwork of what needs to be done and you can just follow my model.

FPerron,

When I had mine installed at RalliSpec, it took them 1.5days. You'd spend 1 night in Jersey...but I hear what you're saying.

Quaife is an excellent name, and if RalliSpec is suggesting it, then they know it works.

Try NASIOC to find a JDM unit too.

Contact DJOrtiz (here's his link: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100533) if you front him some money, he may be able to pick one up and ship it faster than RalliSpec.

Just an idea.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I just ordered a Quaife unit through Rallispec ($1199,00plus shipping). It turns out that there is no specific Quaife part number for the Legacy application, but Rallispec figured out which STI unit will work. I should have it in a week or so, and then Manchester (NH) Subaru is going to install it. I'll post results.

• 2 weeks later...
Help! I'm sitting here at Manchester Subaru trying to figure out if the Quaife LSD I got from Rallispec will fit. It's got stub axles coming out of it and my 2005 5-speed axles have male ends. I can't find anyone at Quaife or Rallispec who can tell me if the Quaife stubs are removable.

do the stub axles come out of the unit. see if they pop out.if so, you dont need them/

+1 Seems to me I heard a solution quite similar to this when trying to install non-OEM LSDs. Try to get the axle stubs out of the Quaife unit and then see what happens.

Wow. Based on yours and my experience with installing a front LSD, the only 'bolt-in' one you can buy is the subaru unit from rallispec. But once you actually get it in, its so worth it when you start driving it. Sorry bout the PITAness of getting it in, I know the feeling.

We opened the Quaife unit and confirmed that the stubs are not removable. This unit is designed for an early STI and will not work in a Legacy without switching some parts. Dave, at Rallispec is sending me some modified axles (inboard ends switched from male to female) and some different bearing carriers. I'm rescheduling the work for Friday.

I would have ordered the JDM unit except that it would have taken weeks that I didn't have.

We opened the Quaife unit and confirmed that the stubs are not removable. This unit is designed for an early STI and will not work in a Legacy without switching some parts. Dave, at Rallispec is sending me some modified axles (inboard ends switched from male to female) and some different bearing carriers. I'm rescheduling the work for Friday.

I would have ordered the JDM unit except that it would have taken weeks that I didn't have.

pissah. Well, that's cool that Dave is stepping up to the plate...not surprised though. He's cool like that.

Once it is in and set, you'll think it was worth it!

Archived