LegacyGT.com

So I just picked up one of these....Subaru Front LSD

whitetiger

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well, I suppose the way I rebuilt a WRX trans a while ago. I luckily didn't have to set pinion depth, but when I did the preload i punched one rib on the trans, and one on the side cap. then count the threads coming out. it's been in the car w/ over 60k miles so far, and no complaints. maybe considered a trick, but who knows?

• 1 month later...

I had to jump on this bandwagon so I ordered the MFactory front LSD. I hope I can put it in and give impressions before i leave for the sandbox. My goal for this part is to turn quicker lap times at the track.

I can't wait to be able to enter a corner and be on the gas sooner and not spin the inside tire.

Everyone that has this part please post up more of your experiences up to this point so I can feel validated about my purchase :D Thanks!

for the 2008 season, i was in the top 10 overall pax times only once or twice the entire season, but this year with the diff ive been in the top 10 overall pax every time except once when I came in 13th sice i did not get a clean run that event, or would have been 7th. the front diff has accomodated my driving style in a huge way.

• 4 weeks later...
Update: This is not going as planned :( The axles will not stay locked in. Turns out with the LSD installed, the axles are too long and don't lock in place. My installer had them grinded down per DS1's directions and still no go. Don't know what to do, any suggestions??

Update: This is not going as planned :( The axles will not stay locked in. Turns out with the LSD installed, the axles are too long and don't lock in place. My installer had them grinded down per DS1's directions and still no go. Don't know what to do, any suggestions??

What year is your car? I discovered that 07-09 LGT comes with shorter front axles than 05-06. Don't recall how much, but good amount shorter, like 10-15mm. Might be a solution for you if you have 05-06.

What year is your car? I discovered that 07-09 LGT comes with shorter front axles than 05-06. Don't recall how much, but good amount shorter, like 10-15mm. Might be a solution for you if you have 05-06.

It's an 05. Are you positive its shorter, where'd you find this info? Do you know if its a male type or female type?

Please let us know of how it goes.

Is the M-Factory going to work with the shorter 07-09 front axles ? since it does not with the OEM ones ?

I am about to do this (spoke to DS1 about 2 weeks ago when I got my latest pro-tune) and i was going to do it after my August vacation. Now this is another setback.

White Tiger, did you have this sort of problems with your OEM Subaru one ?

Please let us know of how it goes.

Is the M-Factory going to work with the shorter 07-09 front axles ? since it does not with the OEM ones ?

I am about to do this (spoke to DS1 about 2 weeks ago when I got my latest pro-tune) and i was going to do it after my August vacation. Now this is another setback.

White Tiger, did you have this sort of problems with your OEM Subaru one ?

no problems at all. everything fit perfect. my installer said it was OEM fit, which it should have been since its an OEM part.

Got the car back. Front diff is a beast i love it.... too bad it was a hassle. I need to take it back in for a slight leak coming from the transmission seals. Other than that i love it. You can definitely feel the car clawing around the corner better. I need to take it to an autox or trackday to quantify my impressions.

SAUL GOOD

Please be good to us and detail all the parts and modifications needed for this M-FACTORY front diff swap. I would like to get a clear idea of what i am going to do.

Fanatic:Here goes....

It turns out the axles were too long on both side after the diff install (its a mystery). I did not buy new axles from the 08/09 models as I still need to verify for certain they are shorter (if they are I need to save up cuz the dealer quoted me $400/side). The installer ended up lopping off a few millimeters of the stockers so that they'd slide all the way in and lock in place. I also suggest having your transmission axle seals replaced while doing this mod.

So that's it, we cut the axle short enough to allow them to lock in place. and as i stated earlier, i intend on replacing them with new, non-modified axles when time and cash permit. For now i'm going to try and take this to an event or two and see how much better it really is. But I can definitely tell you the car drives totally different and you feel you can take certain corners quicker since you can get on the gas earlier and have quicker exit speeds. This should have been included with the LGT.

Anyways, hope that helped.

Something is off about it... the axle length difference is in the solid "rod" portion of the axle, not the "insert" (cv-joint) portion of the axle.

Unclemat: The portion we cut was the section that goes into the transmission. Not the solid rod part. It's an interim solution (structural integrity was not compromised for it) until I can find out for sure that the 08/09 axles are shorter per your suggestion.

The work was done at Harmanmotive in CA and the person that worked on the car is the head mechanic for JC Meynet's silver time attack STI.

Saul, the axle seals are finiky pieces...the axle MUST be inserted perfectly level so as to not pop the spring off the rubber seal on the inside. This happened to me during a clutch change. I had a leak on 1 side after the clutch change.

Tech pulled the axle and low and behold, there was the spring, still on the axle stub. Replace seal, insert properly and golden.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Unclemat: The portion we cut was the section that goes into the transmission. Not the solid rod part. It's an interim solution (structural integrity was not compromised for it) until I can find out for sure that the 08/09 axles are shorter per your suggestion.

The work was done at Harmanmotive in CA and the person that worked on the car is the head mechanic for JC Meynet's silver time attack STI.

If the portion going into tranny had to be cut it's very unlikely the 08/09 axles would be any different - the difference in is in the "rod" part length.

Something tells me that the mfactory part is not quite OEM fitment. More of a rule with aftermarket, than exception.

its reasons like that that i went with the jdm piece.

Yeah no kidding. No more M Factory for me.

Spend a buck but have peace of mind.

White Tiger, did you also need the Rallispec install kit listed under the diff ?

Archived