Turn your trip computer into a boost gauge

lossol

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

96 bucks is still the price. goneskiian is correct on the operation. The two choices are instant MPG or Temp. dammitjim is correct also - you can choose to display only when you are on boost so you get the normal setting the rest of the time.

The pcb boards came in today. I'm still waiting on some connector pieces. I have a few more software tweeks to adjust based on some feedback from beta testers:

Known issues:

When displaying vacuum it is possible for "err" to blink on the display once and a while while passing from vac to boost. Probably only flashes for < .5 secs.

Requests:

Allow Boost hold to occur only above a specified level. i.e no need to hold boost for 1 PSI. (user defined would be nice)

Allow user to shut off "startup beep"

Anything else guys?

...getting closer... release probably now pushed to March.

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

• 2 weeks later...

Friday update: all settings now programmable using trip selection interface

(no more dip switch settings)

The advantage: If you decide you want to change some configuration settings, you don't need to tare your dash apart to get at the dip switch.

Configuration menu includes:

-max boost alarm (1-21 PSI)

-display setting (25-36) (a code you setup based on desired data display settings - see attachment)

-minimum boost hold value (1-21)

-hold max boost for (1-10 seconds)

-startup beep (0 = off, 1 = on)

The configuration menu is accessed by triple clicking the Trip selection button on your dashboard with the drivers door open. More instructions will be in the manual when it is released.

Settings.JPG.7c07707ad2553001e27220ce6b562b51.JPG

Final version looks like this:

-Epoxy sealed

-Integrated trip computer wiring harness adaptors

-All configuration settings through software / trip computer select button interface

-21PSI MAX

-0.5 PSI resolution on instant mpg setting

-Audible alarm can be set to indicate peak boost. (Programmable by user)

(US MARKET ONLY) - works only with imperial unit gauges (2005-2006 Subaru LGT)

Install/Setup manual

It has been a long road of development... but its finally ready. They will be available at http://www.gtboostgauge.com/shop as built.

DSC04035.JPG.edf347aaeae3fee1a966c8810d40bea7.JPG

Edited by lossol
Added manual link

Final version looks like this:

Awesome! So, just to check - this does NOT include the regular gtboost16/20 cascade of LEDs, correct? Is that an option too? Or just too complicated to get both to work?

this does NOT include the regular gtboost16/20 cascade of LEDs, correct?

Yup, this is a completely separate gauge. I'm keeping them separate because this one (GTBoost Digital) only works with the 05-06 crowd...plus to avoid confusion. You can still run both at the same time, just split the vacuum tube with a y connector.

Yup, this is a completely separate gauge. I'm keeping them separate because this one (GTBoost Digital) only works with the 05-06 crowd...plus to avoid confusion. You can still run both at the same time, just split the vacuum tube with a y connector.

No problem. I prefer the readout-style.. But, I might get the gtboost20 someday.. Depends on if my wife likes the idea (she keeps saying in 3-4 years when the girls are older, she'll take the LGT, we'll move the minivan to "occasional" status, and I get to buy whatever I want within reason.. :-)

ohhh

More than 21? How much are you running? I guess you would like a few more PSI on top of what your running to detect and over boost condition.

I'm not sure if there is much of a demand there really is for > 21 PSI. However a while back I was looking into changing the main sensor I use. The new one I picked out had a range of 25 inHG vac - 85 PSI. I use a ten bit sampling a/d so that would give us a resolution of roughly .1PSI internally which really get's tossed because on the trip computer only .5 resolution is displayed.

I ordered that sensor a while ago, maybe i'll dig it up and re-write some software to see how well it works.