Turn your trip computer into a boost gauge

lossol

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope to have the beta units for the 2005s up on the website by the end of this weekend.

So what is going to be the price?

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Its just in work but I just looked at your units, lossol, and those are pretty bad-a$$. I hope you don't mind me posting this here, I'll make a thread if I succeed but its just an electrical concept as of right now. One of those ideas you get in the shower that logically could work. I'll let everyone know what I find.

I can let some people in on my idea, but I prefer people with a lot of electrical knowledge cause its not a simple task. Any other Engineers out there???

The expected price will be $96.00 dollars. The price was originally intended to be a bit lower, but now all gauges will ship with a wiring harness that will mate with the existing wiring harness for the trip computer. This is a nice install option that provides a more reliable, easier to install solution. Oh and free shipping.

The first two beta units are on their way to respective beta testers. Lets hope they work on the 2005 just the same as the 2006.

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

The expected price will be $96.00 dollars. The price was originally intended to be a bit lower, but now all gauges will ship with a wiring harness that will mate with the existing wiring harness for the trip computer. This is a nice install option that provides a more reliable, easier to install solution. Oh and free shipping.

The first two beta units are on their way to respective beta testers. Lets hope they work on the 2005 just the same as the 2006.

That's a fair price. Tell the beta testers to hurry up.:p

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Three beta units have shipped to 2005 users. Hopefully they will have feedback soon.

I do not have any beta units out for nav integration. I can't find the appropriate wiring harness documentation to the back of the nav unit for 05 or 06 years. If anybody has some suggestions that would be great. I have looked through all 05 06 vacation pics however I don't see any info on the nav hookup.

I think the nav integration was kinda clunky for 05 06.

I thought I read somewhere the harness for the trip computer actually plugs in the back of the nav unit, or to another cable that links up with the nav unit, although i cant find any firm documentation.

Here are some pics. It feels solid and the circuit board is well protected with some rubbery stuff. The connectors are a nice touch. The splices look very professional - soldered and shrink wrapped with hot glue or something similar. The only negative I can come up with visually is there could be more tape around the splices to secure them, but that is minor.

DSC01303-1.thumb.JPG.41431daa69e99ab892d3c4935db83ee4.JPG

DSC01308.thumb.JPG.69621ea54bbf6781b36c22de3ad39fae.JPG

DSC01309.thumb.JPG.f8dc2c56a8e37a0a44533cf2f97cf6a2.JPG

Edited by dammitjim

Install is cake if you've got the vac line ran to the cubby already. The connectors on the gtboost look exactly like the factory connectors. All I had to do was put a splitter in the vac line, run the line and plug in the harness.

An added bonus of the extra wire is that the cubby now pulls out about 10" and it's much easier to get access to the connector in the back.

Setting the gauge is easy. I set all the dips to on. The max boost alarm is simple - tap the odo stalk twice. The gauge beeps. Set the thing to temp if you haven't already. Tap the odo stalk until you get to the max setting you want and close the door. Tapping the stalk adjusts the setting even if the computer is not set to temp.

This is simple enough to do that I might get in the habit of setting the alarm low if I lend my car to someone.

Some thoughts

- The peak hold displays longer than the original gtboost which is nice

- There is enough wire to mount the dip switches inside the cubby if you wanted to. It would be slightly fugly but could be done.

- The gauge beeps several times when you turn the car on (when it gets power). It would be nice to be able to turn that off or set it to one beep.

- It would be cool if the temp symbol (F/C) would be off when the gauge is reading boost.

- Changing the dips involves pulling the cubby. Kind of a hassle, but hopefully I won't need to change it much.

DSC01310.thumb.JPG.533d7648774b5da7cbd9bfdd9b483567.JPG

Edited by dammitjim

I have some video but youtube is being a PAB. Can anyone recommend a decent free video converter?

This should work with quicktime. It's a cell phone vid, I can take something better when our camera gets home. It shows setting the max boost alarm and then triggering it. When I made the video it was 6F outside and the max boost had been set to 3. I changed the boost alarm to 7.

http://my.athenet.net/~mtr/gtboost.3gp

Edited by dammitjim

Wow! This is great news. It looks like it will work with 2005 model year!

Does the airbag lights work as normal?

Keep in mind this is the beta unit so although fully functional, the production units will look a little different with all wires going to the pcb board and better protection for the pcb board itself. For the production units I think I may include a way to shut off the startup beep, a few have commented it's not well liked.

Unfortunately we can't "shut off" any text on the display, all we can do is replace values. For example when viewing boost it will still say MPG or C/F depending on which value the user choses to replace. It's a trade off for a clean integration of real digital boost data on an existing stock display.

dammitjim, thanks for the feedback.

I'll have to double check the airbag light, I'm not sure.

The extra display info isn't that big of a deal.

Another feature that might be neat would be to have the display flash on/off while boosting. That would give a better indication that it is reading boost. I'm not sure I'd use a feature like that, just throwing the idea out there.

This may have been asked already, but would it be possible to have a toggle that told it to force displaying boost anytime the car is on boost no matter what the computer is set to?

The airbag light appears to work fine on my 05.

Should the 'Display Vac" On setting display vacuum on the mpg setting and the temp setting? Mine only works with mpg. I actually prefer it this way, just curious what is supposed to happen.

If the production gauge is going to be repackaged somewhat it would be ideal to keep the overall length similar to the beta unit to make removing the cubby easier.

Another feature that might be neat would be to have the display flash on/off while boosting. That would give a better indication that it is reading boost. I'm not sure I'd use a feature like that, just throwing the idea out there.

I think you may find that when your temperature is warmer, every time you boost it will in fact blink because it's giving you a freeze warning. This will only happen if the boost is enable to display in the temperature format.

I choose to display boost in the Instant MPG format, and I set the dip switch so I wont read vac. That way it usually reads "---" and then boost pressure while boosting. I also choose to display peak boost.

This may have been asked already, but would it be possible to have a toggle that told it to force displaying boost anytime the car is on boost no matter what the computer is set to?

This would require more wiring, and would not be a clean install because you would have to essentially toggle the display button electronically, unfortunately without more wires this is not possible. I think "trippy" does somthing similar to toggle the display.

Again if the temp is warmer and you have enabled boost display in the temp location, then the display will swap over for few seconds because it thinks it's giving you a freeze warning.

Should the 'Display Vac" On setting display vacuum on the mpg setting and the temp setting? Mine only works with mpg. I actually prefer it this way, just curious what is supposed to happen.

Yeah, no vac is ever display in the temperature section, I cant remember why, there is some reason related to negative numbers and the freeze warning i think...

If the production gauge is going to be repackaged somewhat it would be ideal to keep the overall length similar to the beta unit to make removing the cubby easier.

I think you mean the wire length? yeah I have noticed that the longer cable length makes install easier, that will remain the same. one of the reasons for the stock connectors are the fact that i tried installing the beta unit in my car with just wire taps, and it was a disaster. The new connectors shipped with the beta units and production units will allow for a easy plug in solution. Glad it works!

Yeah, no vac is ever display in the temperature section

Ok, I see where that is indicated on the pdf. The "Data Display Settings" section could be more verbose. The rest of the pdf is great.

Will the original gauge start shipping with the connectors? Will you offer a setup with both gauges that is connector-only/no splicing?

Edited by dammitjim

The original GTBoost16 and GTBoost20 will likely not ever ship with a dedicated oem connector.

However I do plan on offering easy interface kits which will comprise of two oem connectors male/female with a pcb board in the middle with screw terminals, to allow people to have a clean way of getting power off of the trip harness, I figure some could use this to tap power for their GPS or other electronics accessories.

I also plan on offering a custom length trip computer relocation harness.