LegacyGT.com

Turn your trip computer into a boost gauge

lossol

More than 21? How much are you running? I guess you would like a few more PSI on top of what your running to detect and over boost condition.

I'm not sure if there is much of a demand there really is for > 21 PSI. However a while back I was looking into changing the main sensor I use. The new one I picked out had a range of 25 inHG vac - 85 PSI. I use a ten bit sampling a/d so that would give us a resolution of roughly .1PSI internally which really get's tossed because on the trip computer only .5 resolution is displayed.

I ordered that sensor a while ago, maybe i'll dig it up and re-write some software to see how well it works.

I may go as high as 22psi. I have hit as hi as 21.5 psi. I would like it to got upto about 23psi.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm, so close, but not quite enough on the current version. I did look into the code last night and modified a version to work with the new sensor. I thought I had the other sensor in stock however, I think I ordered the wrong one I while back.

I do plan on looking into another version in the near future where we can get the full 25 inHG vac - 85 PSI range. That should be enough pressure for pretty much anyone.

I'm also looking into making a wireless version so a boost line does not need to be run throught the firewall, that should be interseting, parts are on order for test.

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

I'm also looking into making a wireless version so a boost line does not need to be run throught the firewall, that should be interseting, parts are on order for test.

Wait a second.. Now you're working on wireless?? Any ETA on that? Can I return my DigBoost? (I rarely have hours to spend working on the car these days..)

Wireless may be a ways off, and may turn out to be cost prohibitive for some. I have no exact numbers as of yet. Just wanted to keep you all in the loop about future developments.

yup - 14 day return policy applies to this product.

Well, for example, $50 is worth 2 hours of work to me easily..

Someone in Norcal want to install the Digboost for me? :-)

Anyone want my gtboost digital for $75 shipped? Only reason I'm selling is because I sold my car. USPS 2-3 Day Priority shipping included.

This is one of the beta versions of the new gauge.

Paypal only please. First person to post "I'll take it" in this thread has dibs.

Edited by dammitjim

• 2 weeks later...

Got it installed. Pretty easy - I did it without cutting by buying a couple of extra 2" pieces of vacuum hose and installed those at the BOV.

A question for everyone: what boost levels are you seeing with digboost (installed at the BOV)? Are they what you expected?

I'm at stage 2 (1.5? gutted DP, stock UP), TDC stage 2 ACN (CA/AR/NV) tune. I'm seeing 14.0 mostly, some 14.5s, and once 15.5. Reading the notes for Cobb's stage 2, I see their boost target is 16.0 +- 0.7 psi for ACN stage 2 (05.5 5EAT LGT, AP v1.0).

Does that seem right? Does boost read higher or lower at/near sea level (I'm around 50-100 feet most days)?

Could I have a TMIC leak? I saw the other day someone said their TMIC leak limited them to 14.4 psi.. That seems to be where I am most times. Car is nice and driveable (MUCH better than stock). I also got the "TPS adjustment", which also works. No CELs, mileage is ok, etc..

Thanks for any info.

That seems low but I have a MT so dont know if that matters. I generally hit 17-18psi on a cobb OTS map. My perrin TMIC added about 1psi of max boost for whatever reason. The gauge matches my datalogs dead on.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

gtboost digital samples atm pressure at startup. So at sea level or 10k feet the pressure should be reference atm. Unless of course you started at sea level and then drove to 10k feet.

I'm not sure when the LGT regulates pressure if it uses relative or absolute reference. But i think people tend to get lower pressure at altitude, not sea level. heres another post about altitude. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94590

I haven't given up yet, still hunting for the appropriate wiring diagrams. Nav integration in the 05-06 years was much different than in the 07+ years. Although 07+ seems to have good documentation, I can't find what I need for the 05,06 years. It's possible there could have been some differences between 05 and 06 too. ....so basically no further news on that yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Moving this heere from the other thread, (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2361008#post2361008).

Oh nice, Arlington! Can I see this in action before buying?

You can see it in action at www.gtboostgauge.com

Choose GTBoost16 or GTBoost20 then click "learn more"

Choose gallery and click "in action" then you can see video of it in action.

I meant see the final product running in person since we live within miles of each other...but that's cool. The vid is OK. Something showing normal driving conditions would be nice, under hard acceleration and a standard commute.

Also, I have a '08 GT.

Can you please explain better what the difference between the GTBoost20 and the digital is? What do the 2005-2006 models allow for that the '07+ do not?

I understand that I only have a clock there now, but does this now replace the oem display to show more?

Would this work in an ashtray relocation?

Any further clarification would be much appreciated. I like the stealth alternative to a gauge cluster or pod setup. Great idea.

If you wanna mess around with a local 08's information panel or vid operation with a manual transmission, I'd be happy to provide a test vehicle.

an you please explain better what the difference between the GTBoost20 and the digital is?

Sure, GTboost20 is just a bunch of leds you install underneath you trip computer. 20 LEDs provide Boost information - 6 LEDs provide Vacuum infomation - Pressure: 0 - 20 PSI (1 PSI per LED) Vacuum: 0 - 24 in. Hg (4 in. Hg per LED)

1813180879_installundertripcomputer.jpg.bdf9c71dc97e41a7d369eb3852979343.jpg

GTBoost Digital allows your existing trip computer to display boost pressure and vacuum. Audible alarm can be set to indicate peak boost.(Programmable by user) This gauge is designed to mate with your existing 2005-2006 Subaru legacy GT trip computer wiring harness. Simply unplug your trip computer and insert the GTBoost Digital into the harness chain.

1232492165_Installdiagram.jpg.ccc5f9f6e5010417a599816f8478089b.jpg

What do the 2005-2006 models allow for that the '07+ do not?

2005-2006 (turbo) model years have the trip computer in the center under the cubby. Subaru uses serial comm to talk to this display. By replacing information in that serial communication stream the trip computer can display custom information. GTBoost Digital reads all data info in the packet, then replaces instant MPG info with Boost data. 07+ cars only have a clock here and no serial stream to the clock. The trip computer architecture was changed when moved to the gauge cluster.

does this now replace the oem display to show more?

Nope - 05-06 LGts can just plug this gauge in to the trip computer harness and display boost on the existing trip computer. I will try to post more videos when I get a chance.

Currently there is no GTboost digital solution for the 2007+ LGts - eventually a oled display may be offered as a clock replacment

Quite a few people have been asking about a 2007+ solution.

Because the 2007 trip computer is integrated into the gauge cluster It's not as easy to replace the data stream with boost data. From what I have been researching it seems it is a can protocol direct to the gauge cluster that contains all gauge cluster information. Although it's probably possible, the risk of screwing something up is much bigger.

However 2007 still have a clock. What about replacing that PCB board with this one? You see what I'm getting at? Look at the pic. Dual OLED Displays with boost info, time info, temp info? jeeze I don't know the possibility's are endless really. It's a thought. Then all the 07+ guys could have a nice solution.

Hope that helps a bit.

• 12 years later...