LegacyGT.com

Turn your trip computer into a boost gauge

lossol

Of course I was kidding.

But, a metric conversion would require a complete revamping of every aspect of the US economy.(not such a bad idea). Tax rates would have to adjust, and I bet everything would round up to the next higher g/kg/l etc.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been doing some testing to improve update rates as well as trying out various configurations of data display techniques. I found out that when you choose to display boost in the ‘temperature data slot’ the trip computer blinks the displayed value for 5 seconds, just like when it’s cold outside. This of course interrupts viewing of any other value for the 5 or so seconds.

It was 58 outside when I was doing the testing, and I had the display configured to only show boost. So during vac the temperature would be displayed, during boost, the gauged blinks and shows pressure. After the 5 seconds the gauge no longer blinks, and will show you peak boost obtained. (I’m thinking that holding peak boost will be an option set by the dip switch)

Another thing I need to implement is a way to set the audible alarm (beep) for max pressure. Configurable by the user, it would alarm when the pressure is exceeded. I realize not all would want this, that’s why one of the switches would be responsible for disabling all beeping, regardless or max pressure setting.

Anyway testing is going well. Here our some answers to questions.

So if the instant mpg is hooked up to this would the average mpg turn into an average boost calculator. Or is the data for average mpg completely outside the influence of your system?

Nope, the average MPGS are calculated somewhere else, the trip computer is really just a display configured to step through different values, display the selected value, and keep track of time. So again, were interrupting the data stream, replacing data, and using the trip computer to display boost data. (it thinks the boost data is temperature, or Instant MPG data...stupid trip computer)

Did you need an australian Beta Tester??

all set on beta testers now. Maybe one day I will need somebody to test the metric unit version. For now I'm focusing on the US unit version, because thats what I have for a test bed.

Can you turn off the MPG indicator when it is reading boost? (so no indicator would be lit) This would be especially helpful if you have the option turned on to only display psi when you are boosting.

Not without modify the trip computer itself. Right now only data to the trip computer is being tampered with. I know what you are getting at, and right now it can’t be done explicitly through the data stream. There are some bits in a particular data packet which may do things...For instance there is a bit to indicate the drivers door is open, a bit to indicate low fuel. By chance there is a bit that may alter the display format or display an error code without the usual titles. It's a long shot, I will be looking into it.

Another feature I would love would be Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion.

I have seen this request many times on legacygt.com I will look into a way of offering this feature. This is where I may need a beta tester in the furture. Did you want all units in metric or just the temp?

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

I have been doing some testing to improve update rates as well as trying out various configurations of data display techniques. I found out that when you choose to display boost in the ‘temperature data slot’ the trip computer blinks the displayed value for 5 seconds, just like when it’s cold outside. This of course interrupts viewing of any other value for the 5 or so seconds.

It was 58 outside when I was doing the testing, and I had the display configured to only show boost. So during vac the temperature would be displayed, during boost, the gauged blinks and shows pressure. After the 5 seconds the gauge no longer blinks, and will show you peak boost obtained. (I’m thinking that holding peak boost will be an option set by the dip switch)

Another thing I need to implement is a way to set the audible alarm (beep) for max pressure. Configurable by the user, it would alarm when the pressure is exceeded. I realize not all would want this, that’s why one of the switches would be responsible for disabling all beeping, regardless or max pressure setting.

Anyway testing is going well. Here our some answers to questions.

Nope, the average MPGS are calculated somewhere else, the trip computer is really just a display configured to step through different values, display the selected value, and keep track of time. So again, were interrupting the data stream, replacing data, and using the trip computer to display boost data. (it thinks the boost data is temperature, or Instant MPG data...stupid trip computer)

all set on beta testers now. Maybe one day I will need somebody to test the metric unit version. For now I'm focusing on the US unit version, because thats what I have for a test bed.

Not without modify the trip computer itself. Right now only data to the trip computer is being tampered with. I know what you are getting at, and right now it can’t be done explicitly through the data stream. There are some bits in a particular data packet which may do things...For instance there is a bit to indicate the drivers door is open, a bit to indicate low fuel. By chance there is a bit that may alter the display format or display an error code without the usual titles. It's a long shot, I will be looking into it.

I have seen this request many times on legacygt.com I will look into a way of offering this feature. This is where I may need a beta tester in the furture. Did you want all units in metric or just the temp?

I'd want just the temp.

weird, the 06 does not have this feature...does the 05 trip computer dim with the rest of the dashboard (6 or so dimming levels)? I would assume so right?

The reason behind these questions is that my idea is to control features of the GTBoost digital using a combination of parking light toggling and the illumination data. For example to set max boost alarm, you may toggle parking lights five times. Then scroll up illumination wheel to increase alarm setpoint, scroll down decrease setpoint. Somthing like that.

Did someone ask why this would not work for 07+ LGTs?? Is it because of the OBDII access?

Nope, no one has asked, but heres your answer.

This gauge does not use OBDII interface. It gets boost data from a stand-alone sensor. It then replaces serial data from the gauge cluster with boost information which is then displayed on the trip computer.

In 07+ LGTs the trip computer has been relocated to the gauge cluster, only a clock remains under the cubby. Hacking the cluster embedded trip computer is outside the scope of this project.

Nope, no one has asked, but heres your answer.

This gauge does not use OBDII interface. It gets boost data from a stand-alone sensor. It then replaces serial data from the gauge cluster with boost information which is then displayed on the trip computer.

In 07+ LGTs the trip computer has been relocated to the gauge cluster, only a clock remains under the cubby. Hacking the cluster embedded trip computer is outside the scope of this project.

What about the sensor for the NAV information? Probably coming from the same sensor? I don't have said clock since I have the OEM nav, so I am hoping to hear what you find out with the other car you are doing the NAV testing on.

Yeah, my thinking is that this will work with the NAV. Of you read further back I explain why, But for now all I can be sure of is that it works in the 2006.

Actually I could be ready to ship beta units next week. So we will soon find out...

Can't wait Lossol - can you have 'em ready for Christmas? :-)

:munch:

Those of you (lossol and others) that are taking the time to hack the Legacy electronics and then providing your solutions to the rest of us... Thank You!!:wub::wub:

"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

I can't wait to hear the results.

Yeah, my thinking is that this will work with the NAV. Of you read further back I explain why, But for now all I can be sure of is that it works in the 2006.

Actually I could be ready to ship beta units next week. So we will soon find out...

can you have 'em ready for Christmas?

I hope so. Unless I find something really wrong with the code, it's pretty much ready for beta testing with the 06 and with Nav. I hope to ship beta units out to those guys Monday if they pm me with their add this weekend;)

So would this work at altitude? I have prosport gauges that don't give me a good reference of what my boost level is.

So prosport uses an absolute reference? In denver,CO you are at about 5k feet. That's about 2.5 PSI off if the gauge uses a 1 ATM reference. sound right? Anyway, the GTboost Digital will take a reference when the gauge starts up. So you should see accurate boost numbers. However, because there is a limitation within the sensor to about -24 in HG vac and about 22 PSI (current design) (60psi LATER), lets say it 'zeros' at 5000ft. that means you loose range of about 2.5 PSI on the top end.

Okay more videos to come as the GTBoost digital is taking form. I'm driving to work with it everyday, looking for bugs, checking out features. Starting to really like seeing 'real numbers' I have my original GTboost installed too, and the GTboost digital set to 'hold peak boost' It's cool to see the leds light up and hold, and then the real PSI number is being displayed as well.

...more later.

In denver,CO you are at about 5k feet. That's about 2.5 PSI off if the gauge uses a 1 ATM reference. sound right?

Yep you got it right... atm is 12.1-12.2 here.

Anyway, the GTboost Digital will take a reference when the gauge starts up. So you should see accurate boost numbers. However, because there is a limitation within the sensor to about -24 in HG vac and about 22 PSI (current design) (60psi LATER), lets say it 'zeros' at 5000ft. that means you loose range of about 2.5 PSI on the top end.

For those of us with a VF40/46 we max our boost out about 3 psi lower than sea level anyways, so loss of range up top wouldn't be an issue.

If you're interested in a high-altitude beta tester, lemme know.;)

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Anyone know where to get a wire harness/connector for the trip computer?

Shoot! I can't believe this. So as you guys know I have been fixing the code up, testing. Well each time I load new code I needed take out the trip computer. Well I must have unplugged the connection to the trip computer/clock 50 times in the last week. And tonight I was trying to take videos of the beta units, setting max boost alarm, and what not for instructional purposes...and things start acting flaky, The trip computer was saying "Err" then I noticed it started blinking when I open and shut the door. well to make a long story short, dont disconnect and re-connect your trip computer more than 50 times. Probably not an issue for most. This connector has had alot of abuse through the development of the gtboost style gauges.

...this could hold things up for a bit, help!

this is how setting max boost alarm will work:

-Set trip computer to display temperature.

-With the driver's door open, double click trip select button on gauge cluster.

-Gauge will beep for 1 sec. when the setup is activated

-Press the trip select button to increase the max boost alarm set point. (1 PSI resolution)

Max set point is 22 PSI. If you pass the desired set point, keep clicking the set point will

reset to zero after you exceed 22.

Don't be tempted to hold down the trip select button to increase the set point faster, this will still reset you trip computer millage.

-When you have selected the set point you want simple close the driver's door.

The set point is now stored in memory.

Set to 0 for no alarm

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIe1twPujEw]YouTube - GTBoost Digital programing[/ame]

Some other options are set with the data display switch:

SW1 - DATA Location

OFF - Instant MPG only

ON - Instant MPG + Temperature (boost only)

SW2 - Display Vac

OFF

ON

SW3 - Boost peak hold

OFF

ON

SW4 - Instant MPG display options

OFF - Display "---" while pulling vacuum (Only valid if SW2 is OFF)

ON - Display Instant MPG while pulling vacuum (Only valid if SW2 is OFF)

Edited by lossol

So freaking awesome!!!!

BTW, if you ever want or need any inspiration just check out this multi/meter thingy that a guy made for the Forester XT a few years back:

2004 FXT GAUGE PACKAGE w/ ICS (Intercooler Spray) Control

This is a stand alone system for a 2004 SUBARU Forester FXT that replaces the existing clock and utilizes the existing clock harness. Although the system is tailored toward the forced induction FXT it can be used with standard naturally aspirated Foresters. The system monitors and displays the following:

VAC/BOOST w/PEAK BOOST

Displays Vacuum in inches of mercury. Displays Boost in PSI (up to 30 PSI) Boost is displayed graphically and numerically. During boost, a bar graph “GROWS” from the bottom of the screen and gets taller and wider as Boost Increases. Peak is displayed once instantaneous boost fall below the measured peak boost.

BATTERY / ALT VOLTAGE

ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURE

Displays oil temperature in degrees F. Temperature range is from 110 to 280. When the temp is below 111°, the display reads “OIL TEMP LOW”. When oil temp is above 280 the display reads “OIL TEMP HIGH”.

Note: Uses a temperature sender that is threaded into the oil pan drain plug.

TRANSMISSION FLUID TEMPERATURE (Displayed w/OIL TEMP)

Displays oil temperature in degrees F. Temperature range is from 110 to 280. When the temp is below 111°, the display reads “TRANS TEMP LOW”. When oil temp is above 280 the display reads “TRANS TEMP HIGH”.

Note: Uses a temperature sender that is threaded into the transmission pan drain plug.

TIME

Displays time in the form 12:15:45 Future design will allow user selectable form. The user will be able to select or deselect the seconds.

ICS ACTIVITY

See ICS Control Section.

Note: Units can be custom tailored to your specifications.

OPERATION:

The system uses two User Interface Buttons. The Left Button is the MODE Button, while the right is the SET button. The system has 10 modes. When the Unit is first powered up, it defaults to mode 1. Mode 1 continuously scrolls though the different “monitored sensors” and displays each one for two seconds. The rest of the modes are as follows:

Mode 2 – ICS OFF Delay

Adjustable range is from 0 to 240 seconds. This delay is the amount of time that elapses before the sprayers are activated when you are idling in traffic. (See ICS control section)

Mode 3 – ICS ON Time

Adjustable Range is from 0 to 10 Seconds. This is the length of time the sprayers stay ON for once they are activated while idling in traffic. (See ICS control Section)

Mode 4 – ICS BOOST Level

Adjustable range is from 0 to 15 psi. This is the boost level at which the sprayers will activate. The sprayers will stay on as long as you are at or above this level. (See ICS control Section)

Mode 5 – SET HR

Sets the Hour of the clock

Mode 6 – SET MIN

Sets the minutes of the clock

Mode 8 – VAC/BOOST

Displays only Vacuum or Boost

Mode 9 – VOLTS

Displays only Battery/Alternator Voltage

Mode 10 – OIL/TRANS TEMP

Displays only Oil temperature/Transmission Temperature.

Mode 11 – Time

Displays only time.

ICS Intercooler Spray Control / WATER SPRAY SYSTEM

The ICS control is a VAC/Boost based system that controls a custom designed Water Spray system that uses four sprayers which possess a well distributed spray pattern. Water is stored in the existing Spare Tire Bin which is modified using a custom designed Cover Plate and Gasket. Water is supplied via high pressure washer pump which is mounted to the Spare Tire Bin Reservoir.

Operation:

The water spray control has auto or manual operation. Pressing the set button in MODE 1 will activate the Auto Mode (A bold S will appear on the left hand side of the display). When in Auto-Mode, the water spray is activated when one of two conditions are met. This first condition is when a preset amount of boost is achieved. The second is when the vehicle has been under a high vacuum for a preset amount of time. In other words, the sprayers are activated when the vehicle has been idling for a certain amount of time. The sprayers will continue cycling until the vehicle starts moving. In addition, when in auto mode, the sprayers will not activate until the Oil Temp is above 120° F. However the Sprayers can be activated at any time by depressing the Manual Spray Button. When the sprayers are activated the bold S will continuously flash.

Note:

The system uses it own sensors (3 bar map sensor and two temperature senders) and does NOT tap into the OBDII interface. The system receives power, illumination and voltage input from the existing clock harness. There is only one modification that is required for installation:

You have to send me the factory clock prior to purchase in order for me to remove the power/illumination plug from it and convert it into a pigtail. This in now way will hurt the function of your factory clock. Don’t worry; it can be re installed if you decide that you want to revert back to stock.

The Kit has everything you need for installation except vacuum hoses and vacuum tees. The Manual Spray Button is supplied by end user.

Pics/more info:

http://scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3855&highlight=mo_boost