LegacyGT.com

Turn your trip computer into a boost gauge

lossol

Here is the new GTBoost Digital

It has been a long road of development... but its finally ready. They will be available at www.gtboostgauge.com/shop as built.

Available only for the 2005-2006 model years. US UNITS ONLY. Allows your existing trip computer to display boost pressure and vacuum. Audible alarm can be set to indicate peak/max limit boost.

-------------Original thread start---------------

This topic has been discussed over here but I wanted to separate it from the GTboost gauge thread, so specific issues and comments relating to this idea don't get lost with the other thread.

Okay here is a video of the hacked display. It simply demos the idea that the update rate of the trip computer is rather fast on all settings...and that we can replace serial data with boost data for a stock looking digital readout. (05 and 06 only)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF_iJOkbshc]YouTube - Subaru legacy trip computer now displays Boost pressure.[/ame]

530344449_DSC03378(1).jpg.a986844a1ec21663484566cd85a14241.jpg

608861760_DSC03379(1).jpg.c9e8ef7dfdc64905b2af19a0e83786a1.jpg

Edited by lossol
updated info
VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Grrrr! Hack the OEM Navi to do the same please and I'll love you long time! Great work! Denso sucks :mad:
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

18.4 psi is a good starting point, but there are some who will need more...

Keep up the great work.

He'd have to hack it for corrected manifold pressure somehow

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Cool. Will we retain all the other readouts, or does it negate them all? More info would be sweet.

The user will have to pick at least one readout to negate. For instance the 'GTboost Digital' can be selected to overide INSTANT MPG while boosting. So to view boost you would have to have INSTANT MPG selected on the trip computer. Another option would be to select to overide TEMP. So only while boosting temperature would be over ridden to display boost.

Whats the range and resolution on it?

Great question, first off the resolution is limited by the display itself not the pressure sensor. On top of that the resolution will vary depending on which value readout you choose to override. For example the AVE TRIP B reading provides 0.3 unit resolution, while the TEMP reading only provides single digit resolution, the INSTANT MPG provides 0.5 unit resolution.

Range is determined by the sensor. The sensor now provides up to 20.5 PSI max pressure. I am in the process of testing one that should provide up to 60 PSI! Both sensors have vacuume max at 24 in.Hg. Max pressure should not be an issue for this gauge.

Hack the OEM Navi to do the same please...

Actually, This will need to be tested...but since the serial data stream that is being recieved - modified - then re-transmitted should be the same for the NAV system. This means there is a good posibility that your instant MPG graph on your NAV system could turn into a boost gauge. Kinda neat.

He'd have to hack it for corrected manifold pressure somehow

Not sure what would have to be corrected - Please note that GTBoost Digital would come with it's own pressure sensor, it would not rely on any stock pressure sensor in the car. Not sure if that changes this modification that you speak of?

Edited by lossol

Actually, This will need to be tested...but since the serial data stream that is being recieved - modified - then re-transmitted should be the same for the NAV system. This means there is a good posibility that your instant MPG graph on your NAV system could turn into a boost gauge. Kinda neat.

Not sure what would have to be corrected - Please note that GTBoost Digital would come with it's own pressure sensor, it would not rely on any stock pressure sensor in the car. Not sure if that changes this modification that you speak of?

Wow! Somewhat encouraging. There's a whole massive thread on this [click] on this forum, the Corvette, Tundra, and Cadillac forums as they're all Denso-based and proprietary.

Lots of people would pay you good money if you could do it. I just about gave up on the hope of a soft boost gauge on the OEM display a long time ago. Sigh... :cool:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

This is cool!

But I have another request. Could you make an option/separate product that would rescale mpg calculation for people with bigger injectors? I was thinking about programming a device myself but I am lazy, plus it involves hardware, and I am a software guy :)

Does not need to take the info from ECU (might be difficult), could have a preset value entered somehow, via computer, dipswitches, preset by you.

Heck, if we're asking for stuff... Add a trip computer that records not only how long you've been driving, but HOW FAR and the AVG speed (simple distance/over). I can't tell you how many times I've missed the MFA trip computer from my VWs.

For those not familiar: records time AND distance in two ways. Data logger A logs time/distance from "today" - any inactivity longer than 2 hours and it resets itself. Data logger B logs long-term, including hours driven.

I can "make do" with trip computer B on the GT, since it more or less does the same thing, although it doesn't record time driven.

But, I use trip computer A for "mileage per tank" type calculations. I'd LOVE to see how far I've driven since start of the day, for example. Or to be able to reset it independently of TC A/B.

I know, I should probably get a rally computer instead...

If you were pulling signal from OBDII, it would limit it to 18.4psi unless you corrected it somehow. With your own sensor, not an issue.

Carry on the good work!!

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

The user will have to pick at least one readout to negate. For instance the 'GTboost Digital' can be selected to overide INSTANT MPG while boosting. So to view boost you would have to have INSTANT MPG selected on the trip computer. Another option would be to select to overide TEMP. So only while boosting temperature would be over ridden to display boost.

I like that idea, I have only had my car for a week now but the instant mpg does me no good so a boost reading there would be awesome!

Could you make an option/separate product that would rescale mpg calculation for people with bigger injectors?

There is no doubt I can modify data sent from the gauge cluster to the trip display, however rescaling mpgs for bigger injectors probably is more of a calculation in the ECU rather then just a simple liner scaling factor. Honestly I don't know enough about it to even get started right now.

Heck, if we're asking for stuff... Add a trip computer that records not only how long you've been driving, but HOW FAR and the AVG speed (simple distance/over).

Really all we can do with the trip computer is replace data it already displays. Although I understand your screen name now hadvw. Once I did envision a whole replacement trip computer with more advanced functionality, included boost gauge and OBDII reader. That project has been put on the shelf for now.

If you were pulling signal from OBDII, it would limit it to 18.4psi unless you corrected it somehow. With your own sensor, not an issue.

Oh gotcha, thought that's what you might have meant. Nope here I'm using my own sensor.

This doesn't replace the original gtboost gauge, correct? Is it a separate gauge that could be used with or without the original?

Yup, it's a separate gauge. This way you can have one without the other. OR both.

Speaking of both...Here is a teaser shot with a GTBoost16 and a GTBoost Digital installed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF_iJOkbshc]YouTube - Subaru legacy trip computer now displays Boost pressure.[/ame]

Edited by lossol