LegacyGT.com

Pics of DIYand painted grills

lvethesnow

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my grill that I did like 2 months ago. I was gonna cut it up like the DIY grill, but painted the wings instead just to see if I liked it better, and I did.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/3040000-3040999/3040917_12_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/3040000-3040999/3040917_13_full.jpg

Hmmm. So it seems that primer holds up better/longer than paint+clear. Weird......but I now know what I'm doing to mine next Spring instead of bothering with actual black paint then clear.

I guess I didnt consider where you guys are driving... How much actual traffic are you driving in daily? My first attempt was specked after a week. The next has held up much better, but still not nearly perfect.

crazy question without pictures but i'm almost finished with my grille and i wanted to do something different for the emblem. if anyone has their letters off the back of their leg put the GT together with the L centered sitting on top. Waddaya think? i would post pics but im at work. if no one can do this i'll put some pics up when i get home.

my commute to work is 85 miles round trip all highway. I have 36,000 miles on my car which I bought Aug. 25, 2007 So I drive my car a lot.....lol

Sure...but are you in traffic? As in..cars close in front of you that would/could launch stuff at your grill? I'm in rush hour type traffic twice a day, so there's no avoiding stones etc. being thrown up at the front my my car. Though it still sounds like primer is the way to go.

how did you mount the sti badge?

I bought two L clips at home depot. Ya know the things to help secure a computer desks or other things. Bent them back a little bit so the badge sits on an angle. Drilled two holes in the grill all the way by the back. Used some JB weld to hold badge in place. Over a month on there and hasnt gone anywhere. cant even see the L clips when looking at it. Can take a closer pictures if you'd like.

Sure...but are you in traffic? As in..cars close in front of you that would/could launch stuff at your grill? I'm in rush hour type traffic twice a day, so there's no avoiding stones etc. being thrown up at the front my my car. Though it still sounds like primer is the way to go.

Yes I am in rush hour traffic in the morning and in the afternoon

no clear coat, just sanded with 300 and 8 coats of flat black primer

Wow...that turned out really good. It looks like you used an air compressor?

Or did you just carefully spray with a can?

Just the 300 grit, tape/remove the badge, and let it sit 2 hours before each coat?

Wow...that turned out really good. It looks like you used an air compressor?

Or did you just carefully spray with a can?

Just the 300 grit, tape/remove the badge, and let it sit 2 hours before each coat?

No air compressor, just a can of spray paint. roughed up the chrome parts with 300 grit paper and taped the badge. I used some utility lights and a fan for the drying process. I let each coat sit for about 15 min and then sprayed the next

how did you mount the sti badge?

Note to those putting an badge on the grill...I've seen a lot of slightly crooked badges on here.

I did a couple trial sticks with my Sti badge and as hard as I tried, it would still be juuust sliiightly crooked. So with the grill off of the car, I put the grill on my bench on blocks of wood to hold it upright and flat, put a flat piece of 1X6 MDF on the top of it, then put a small level on the MDF to make sure the grill was perfectly level. Then, just to be safe I put a long level on my bench to make sure the bench was level. Luckily it was. Even if yours is not, if you level the the grill you'll be good.

Then, I stacked little pieces of smooth MDF wood in front of the grill to where the top one would line up flat with the bottom of my emblem, and I made sure the top piece was level too. I had to stand back about ten feet, but I could stick the emblem on and see if it was parallel with my level little pieces of wood. With my little wood block setup, it became obvious if the emblem wasn't quite level, whereas by eyeballing it with no reference, it was hard to tell. What I ended up with is an emblem that looks totally factory. If anybody wants to see it lmk and I'll snap a pic later today.

Well, the car is filthy and the pic isn't so good because it was taken directly into the sun, but you get the idea. If you look at the emblem, it is perfectly level with the ground.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/IMG_3633.jpg

Archived