LegacyGT.com

Pics of DIYand painted grills

lvethesnow

If I were doing something with the letters, I would stick the Subaru emblem in the middle like normal and keep the letters all more toward the center, maybe curving them around the bottom of the constellation emblem (like a "U" under the emblem).

I think that may look cool.

The way it is now looks like it's missing something maybe....

I like the creativity though, doing something different. Keep us posted. :)

i donno about the curved lettering under the emblem, i don't think it would turn out that great, the center of the grill would look too clustered and the curved lettering would look out of place =/

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still trying to decide what to do, we had a small meet last night and everyone thought it looked really good as it is. I think it does look a lot better in person, I'll try to get some day shots and see if you guys like it better.

man I'd love to have the small hexagon mesh (powdercoated black) turned into a grill...

...I'm just too much of a p*ssy to start messing with stuff like that though :(

http://www.customcargrills.com/prodimages/m_scan_Hex_Small.jpg

I think the 05-07 guys can get away with "Gutter Guard" because they're grills aren't as tall. Most 05-07 guys go with the recessed look, which probably uses less material than a flush mount would.

Us lucky 2008 guys have a taller grill, so you'd need 2 pieces to cover it top to bottom. So that stuff just makes sense. Plus, I'd imagine the stuff from GrillGuys is a little higher quality material.

And $40 for mesh is alot cheaper than a JDM grill at $500. ;)

My approach to a DIY grill built on what others here have done, with a slight twist. I used hexagon mesh xxl (powder coated) and the neoprene rubber edge trim from CustomCarGrills.com for both panels (one of their 12x48 sheets of mesh was more than enough).

Like rob3blk in this thread, I made a cardboard pattern for the lower opening and basically shaped the mesh via trial and error. For the main opening, I put the mesh behind the chrome trim ring -- but unlike some others I left the wings’ structure in place to act as a support and shaping form behind the mesh. I also cut an oval for the constellation badge mount to stick through.

I’m betting that the bigger mesh (“diamond xxl”) would actually look better, especially without the wings’ structure under there, but I wanted something to catch bugs more effectively.

Getting the thing installed was a PITA -- you can reach up through the lower opening to undo the six screws holding the main grill in and then replace them by feel, but you need skinnier arms than I have. I went in from the top and got my forearms all scratched up in the process. 08 grills have the plastic clips across the top plus six screws, and two of those (the highest ones) were hard enough to deal with that I didn’t bother to replace them (they're right next to a clip anyway).

The result reminds me a lot of the GrillCraft inserts I had for my 05 STi and for my S2000 recently, although if you look closely, it’s clearly not as professionally done. Still, it turned out to my satisfaction, all-in-all. HPH

http://www.hphanson.com/LGTB/GrillSide.jpg

Here's one taken with a flash, so you can see the aluminum-colored radiator in there, with the grill structure in silhouette. And I must have something on the camera lens, or there's something very shiny behind the lower grill, mid-right. I painted the lower divider (behind the grill now) black to make it disappear as much as possible. It doesn't look like this in real life; the previous picture is more representative. HPH

http://www.hphanson.com/LGTB/GrillFront.jpg

Archived