LegacyGT.com

Pics of DIYand painted grills

lvethesnow

^ Ah - aesthetics - that's a matter of personal opinion. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grill surround painted black - wings painted steel grey to match rims. Steel grey color shows up much lighter in pics than in person. Sorry about dirty car.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/eldiabloGT/DSC02580.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/eldiabloGT/DSC02581.jpg

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

^ Wow! That looks really nice!!!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

damn, now I'm wondering what the chrome trim surround would look like painted bronze

do it and let us know

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

what kind of paint did everyone use??

98cent can of flat black, primer, and clear from walmart

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

what kind of paint did everyone use??

^

Plasti-kote Plastic Primer

Plasti-kote Metallic Flake (Black)

Check out my pics...post #88

The texture and "sparkle" matches that of the stock plastic. However the paint is a true black whereas the stock plastic color is more of a dark graphite. I think the metallic flake looks great. IMO flat black is a little blah. But to each his own.

^ I like that finish a lot - it's also what I used for my turn-signal "streaks" from a long time ago. :)

Hey dudes...and dudets, I'll be posting up my original grill for sale soon.

Might be giving the option of selling as is or for a more $$$ I'll sand, prime and paint it like mine. (post #88)

I haven't started on mine, yet! :redface: It's been in the garage for about two weeks, now. :lol:

^ It's soooooo too bad that you live so far away!

We have too many things in-common -> the need for quiet exhaust setups, as well as, of course, our need to get off our asses with this grill mod! :lol:

Best of luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...
so when you paint the wings or borders of the grills! do you sand it down before primer, and a paint adhesive? or straight alcohol clean it and then adhesive, primer, paint, clear?

I didn't bother with clear coat. What I got was too glossy for me. Since it takes 5 minutes to take the grill off...if I get any nicks I'll just repaint. TRS used the same paint as I and in over a year he's had no fading.

Archived