LegacyGT.com

Pics of DIYand painted grills

lvethesnow

I think because the pic was taken at about the same level as the grill hits, so the mesh kinda disappears a little bit.

Had it been up and to the right a little I think you'd see the mesh more, and it would be more like you see in reality.

Looks good though... and keeps you from having to hack the grill up. It does look like you could pull the mesh out and just snap the wings back on to go back to stock... is that a correct assumption?

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're right about the photo angle's making the mesh disappear.

And, no, the chrome wings fit onto that structure with several fins on the structure that had to go. I also shaved down the outside ends of the wing-holder to reduce curvature there. This is a permanent install. (I bought new parts for it from one of the on-line parts places; with shipping and a new emblem, they came to $210.)

The tool to use for this, by the way, is a Fein Multimaster with the knife blade. You can run it slow enough that it doesn't melt the plastic, but the vibrations work great at shaving/cutting it cleanly. They cost a bundle, so no one will want to buy one for this job, but if you have one or can borrow one, do it. HPH

Wow! The "hex" looks really nice! Very classy!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I'm in the process of my DIY, cut it up, bondo'd, and sanded all last night.. now I'm doing the painting process and I'm starting to wish I just gave it to a body shop :lol: Also I have to get some hot glue for the mesh and suby emblem :( I'll post pics when all is said and done :D

I think once I clear my headlights it will look better.But anyways tell me what you guys think.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/HIFONICS69/bike002.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/HIFONICS69/bike001.jpg

What's the best, most secure, way to attach the mesh? I used aluminum gutter guard, folded it over the edges, and hot glued it all down very nice and tight... however, just saw today, since it gets hot in that area, the glue started to come off the grill in a small section. :(

If you folded it over, are there places you could put small screws (with wide heads or washers) through the mesh into the plastic? Or is the mesh going behind the chrome frame, so you could put screws behind the frame?

There's also expoxy (such as JB Weld), and maybe you can find high-temp versions.

Generic car-parts stores (Autozone etc) have sections with replacement screws and trim clips. I've seen special black screws (machine screws, sort of) with big heads there, way overpriced, of course, but you need only a few. I used these to affix tie-downs for my lower grill, and then used black zip-ties on it, but you can see them if you look closely. HPH

I think once I clear my headlights it will look better.But anyways tell me what you guys think.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/HIFONICS69/bike002.jpg

It doesn't match anything on the car. It seems out of place to me. I love your wheels though (avatar)

It doesn't match anything on the car. It seems out of place to me. I love your wheels though (avatar)

I was kinda going for it to match the Subie emblem but, I might just paint it black.And thanks on the wheels.

Guys, I just did this today/tonight. I picked out a Duplicolor spray at Advanced Auto on a whim. I think it's the PERFECT color. Its a black metallic flake, and looks exactly like the black metallic around the rest of the grill. Looks ALOT like TRS's metallic black flake.

It's the Duplicolor Truck and SUV paint, Black Metallic.

Here it is: http://www.marketelf.com/product_detail.aspx?id_product=4005

I just did the wings and left the chrome around the grill on my OBP. I started sanded them down using 180, was going pretty slow, finally settled on 120. The chrome was completely dull and scuffed up. Then, 3 of grey primer. Let set in for 1 hour. Then, 6-8 ( I lost count :lol:) coats of the Metallic Black. Let set for an hour. And then about 3 coats of matte clearcoat.

I'll post some pics up when I can. When I finally got it back on it was dark. :confused:

EDIT: Some crappy camera phone pics..

http://i25.tinypic.com/1z5lyza.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/slte82.jpg

"This is an adventure."

^ Wow! I bet that in-person, the thing looks "stock!" Great job!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Interesting ideas here. Having a silver car doesn't give me too many options. With all of the chrome all over the car (headlights, grille, side skirts, badges), I think I wanna leave the wings chrome and the surround piece chrome...has anyone tried just painting the plastic behind the wings and surround piece? I was thinking of painting the gray/black plastic parts in a glossy black or silver to match the car's paint...any suggestions or other ideas for DIY grilles for silver cars?

Ok, done. Probably about the easiest thing I've ever done to the car. Took 5-10 minutes to swap out grills. I love the Plasti-kote Metallic Flake. Has the same slight sparkle as the OEM plastic except a true black vs. a dark graphite. (painted entire grill...3 coats clear Plasti-kote plastic primer, 5 coats Plasti-kote black metallic flake)

Take a look....

ok you have to tell me how you did this!! This looks great!

First remove the two Pop-Its and two bolts that secure either side of the grill to the bumper, then pop the four retainer clips that hold the grill in-place (a small screwdriver easily gets in that hole). The grill will just slide right out.

After that, just look inside the backside of the grill, you'll see the screws (either two or three, on each "winglet") that holds the back of the winglet to the grill. Unscrew, and prep/paint!

Reattach when dry, and re-fasten the grill in the same reverse manner (align the bottom lip of the grill carefully, as it "catches" to a lip on the bumper skin so as to make for an aesthetically flawless fit).

Interesting ideas here. Having a silver car doesn't give me too many options. With all of the chrome all over the car (headlights, grille, side skirts, badges), I think I wanna leave the wings chrome and the surround piece chrome...has anyone tried just painting the plastic behind the wings and surround piece? I was thinking of painting the gray/black plastic parts in a glossy black or silver to match the car's paint...any suggestions or other ideas for DIY grilles for silver cars?

somebody with a red lgt (05 i think?) did this...looked sort of odd IMO. I'll see if I can find it

somebody with a red lgt (05 i think?) did this...looked sort of odd IMO. I'll see if I can find it

did he paint it red? I was thinking about the idea of painting it silver, but I think that wouldn't look good. I'm thinking about doing a non-metallic glossy black paint on the stuff behind the wings. I'd still be interested to see that pic though.

I just did the DIY painting grill and it looks so horible due to the fact that the chrome coating was too thick

to be done by hand and used dremel which made the surface very uneven. Anyone knows if there is part number

for only the wing pieces?

Let set in for 1 hour. Then, 6-8 ( I lost count :lol:) coats of the Metallic Black. Let set for an hour. And then about 3 coats of matte clearcoat.

http://i25.tinypic.com/1z5lyza.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/slte82.jpg

Your posting got me into doing this work. I bought the exact same paint and everything but I wasn't able to find the matte clearcoat.

I used regular clearcoat that I have on my house and it was so glossy. So I sanded down the clear coat and now it looks really gray and washed out.

I wasn't able to find any product that is matte clearcoat on spray can. Do you know what brand or where you bought it?

Archived