LegacyGT.com

Pics of DIYand painted grills

lvethesnow

Well, im going to make it come off then, lol. Cuz that is the one thing on this new car that bugs the shit out of me.

Good luck... i sat with the grill in my lap for about an hour pondering the best way to get it off and i finally concluded you can't... unless you wanna cut it off and plastic soder it together. I just used some 40 grit sand paper, and a lot of hours of rubbing and got the chrome to scuff pretty well. I want to go back later and wire wheel the Sh*$ out of it but so far it hasn't peeled and its been about a month or more with multiple washes.

here is a pic

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/pineyLGT805/LGT2-1.jpg

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So just sand it down until i get to the plastic that isnt coming off is what you guys are saying? Cuz i can literally get my finger inbetween the grill and this chrome piece in certain areas and lift up on the chrome. Maybe i'll just cut the stuff off thats coming up and then sand the crap out of it til its flush, guess thats my only option besides just buying a new JDM grill :)

So just sand it down until i get to the plastic that isnt coming off is what you guys are saying? Cuz i can literally get my finger inbetween the grill and this chrome piece in certain areas and lift up on the chrome. Maybe i'll just cut the stuff off thats coming up and then sand the crap out of it til its flush, guess thats my only option besides just buying a new JDM grill :)

ya just sand the chrome down, and make sure you use an adhesive promoter along with primer. You'll have no problems painting over the chrome piece.

(if you get the chrome piece off let me know how so i can do it too!)

Well, after some hard work with my trusty pocket knife, I managed to get all of the chrome off of the surrounding trim, it came off in nice thin strips and didnt do any damage to the plastic underneath. So i got it this far yesterday and will get to the sanding today at some point. I still havent decided whether i should remove the chrome from the wings as well. I kind of like the idea of 2 little chrome wings in there.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w222/adrenalinrush22/Photo_101509_001.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w222/adrenalinrush22/Photo_101509_002.jpg

Well, after some hard work with my trusty pocket knife, I managed to get all of the chrome off of the surrounding trim, it came off in nice thin strips and didnt do any damage to the plastic underneath. So i got it this far yesterday and will get to the sanding today at some point. I still havent decided whether i should remove the chrome from the wings as well. I kind of like the idea of 2 little chrome wings in there.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w222/adrenalinrush22/Photo_101509_001.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w222/adrenalinrush22/Photo_101509_002.jpg

Im tempted to pull off the grill this weekend and re do it even though it isn't peeling. I never thought about using a knife to scrape off the chrome... Thanks for the helpful tip, i have searched extensively and no one had suggested using a knife to get the chrome off (Sticky?)

Actually, the knife acted as more of a prying device. It wasnt sticking to the plastic, but that knife was thin and strong enough to get inbetween the chrome and grill and lift it up. The chrome can be very sharp fyi, just depending on the angles it comes up in, it may look like flimsy stuff, but still has some thickness to it. At the top of the grill the chrome separates cleanly from the upper and inner lip, but at the bottom, it likes to pull off some of the chrome that wraps down behind the grill. So i removed the felt pads that are there and reapplied them later with spray adhesive. The whole process took about an hour.

Nice little pocket knife, BlackGT. :) Is that your EDC?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Nice little pocket knife, BlackGT. :) Is that your EDC?

Every day carry I assume is what youre asking? yea I keep that one in the car at all times. Its a special edition Kershaw from snap-on that I got a while back, the clip looks like a wrench. :)

^ Yep, "every day carry." :)

How cool! A little wrench! I lost track of knives after about 2004 or so, when I removed myself from the hobby (getting a bit expensive :redface:). Those little Kershaws are really nice pieces. :) Sweet!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

why would you consider a knife an "ever day carry?"

I have some cheapy I bought in gatlinburg years ago that I use to open boxes.. it looks like a skinning knife. :lol:

the way I see it.. I carry it with me just incase a would-be car jacker needs something to snatch out of my hand and stab me with.

is scraping off the chrome necessary to do this? I'm not even gonna bother if so.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I have some cheapy I bought in gatlinburg years ago that I use to open boxes.. it looks like a skinning knife. :lol:

the way I see it.. I carry it with me just incase a would-be car jacker needs something to snatch out of my hand and stab me with.

is scraping off the chrome necessary to do this? I'm not even gonna bother if so.

Na its not necessary, I just had to since mine was peeling up at the bottom and looked like shit. Got my grill painted now though, i'll upload some pics soon.

Exactly - to cut things. It's simply good utility.

There is a valid role for a good tactical folder or fixed blade in self-defense, but honestly, I would not go that route unless you've at least had *some* training in the basics. Although advanced knifecraft is a good compliment to round-out anyone's tactical training - and yes, that old saying of "he brought a knife to a gunfight" really *is* false logic: case-in-point...I'm pretty much an untrained mall-Ninja, and I've demo'ed to local and area LEOs before how vulnerable they are, if they do not think that simple pocket-knives present a valid threat - it's really not something to be taken lightly. So unless you at least somewhat know what you're doing, presenting your local friendly carjacker with a Rambo-knife may incite more problems, rather than less....

I consider using a knife for self-defense as a last-ditch effort. It's going to get messy, and a part of that mess will be you. To demonstrate this, just get together with a friend, and go buy some of those big kids' sidewalk chalk sticks from the local drug-store. Pretend they're knives, and start hacking at each other. It's a mess, ain't it?

Back OT. :)

No, it's not necessary to scrape it all off - just good sanding (and perhaps using a primer, if your paint isn't designed with that in-mind already) will do the trick. :)

I'm actually considering something a little less permanent and easier to do with the grill.. although it may cost more.

flat black vynil over the chrome anyone?

that way I can remove it.. it will be more chip resistant.. and there's no sanding.

it will have to be installed by a shop tho.. cos.. well I'm lazy and horribly unskilled.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I'm actually considering something a little less permanent and easier to do with the grill.. although it may cost more.

flat black vynil over the chrome anyone?

that way I can remove it.. it will be more chip resistant.. and there's no sanding.

it will have to be installed by a shop tho.. cos.. well I'm lazy and horribly unskilled.

I did vinyl over the wings on my 08 and it has been holding up well, I have had it on since March and its still holding up fine. I was also really easy to do your self but it would help if you took off only the part you wanted to cover.

yea, you can disassemble the inner wings (according to a pic above) but not the surround?

i might take it to a shop to do.. any idea what they'd charge?

yea, you can disassemble the inner wings (according to a pic above) but not the surround?

No idea, I have an 09 and you can take off the chrome surround...I cant imagine it being very much to do, it only took me like 15 minutes at the most to do the wings.

Like Vbelisle, I also vinyl'ed over the winglets, to see if I'd like the setup, before refinishing with actual painting. I only had the vinyl for about 2, so I cannot speak as to durability.

To the best of my knowledge, the '05-'07 chrome surround was not one-piece removeable, but I've honestly never really tried, either. :redface:

thats what i've heard.

so why did you remove the vynil and paint tsi?

I mean if its flat vynil it should have all the benefits and none of the drawbacks right? cept maybe the heat from the engine bay but that shouldn't't be any worse than doing the hood..

^ For me, the vinyl was only a test - my intention had always been to paint. :)

Archived