• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Setup:

- iON Sport Spec springs

- OEM shocks, struts, tophats, etc.

- Paranoid Fabrications' LGT shims

Initial Impressions:

Although the shims raised the vehicle's rear by 1/4", the increase is a lot more dramatic in person than the pictures depict. Even my wife noticed that the vehicle seemed to sit "level". The install was smooth and straight forward and I owe my father a big "THANK YOU" for his help.

As far as road noises are concerned, none were noticeably added with the install of Shane's (paranoid56) shims. The product is well cut and machined. My only regret is that I should have purchased extended studs for the rear tophats as I feel that the OEM units do not comfortably give enough thread purchase. As the pictures show, this is not really a concern at all but it is more for humoring my paranoia than anything else. Overall, I recommend these units to users of non-coilover setups if they do not want to pre-load the rear springs while trying to make the vehicle sit more "level". Excellent product and I thank Shane for allowing me to test fit them on my vehicle. It was definitely worth the effort to install them and I am quite happy with how the vehicle now sits.

Car after (I apologize for the gnarly glare):

car_after.thumb.jpg.a22091e937078f81f4d95e7cdced386c.jpg

My only regret is that I should have purchased extended studs for the rear tophats as I feel that the OEM units do not comfortably give enough thread purchase. As the pictures show, this is not really a concern at all but it is more for humoring my paranoia than anything else. Overall, I recommend these units to users of non-coilover setups if they do not want to pre-load the rear springs while making the vehicle sit more "level".

Thanks for the install feedback. The rear looks more open "raised" now, and I'd prefer to keep the gap on my wagon that I have. I'm curious whether these would be required with Bilsteins and Pinks. If so, I'd definitely go for longer studs as well.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

From all of the Bilstein + Pink setups that I've seen both online and in person, the rear has the same perceived "droop". I say perceived because in actuality the fronts and rears should sit level and it is how the rear arches are cut that produce the visual sag.

• 2 months later...

I just installed these 1/4 inch spacers (HPDE 1/4") yesterday and it's $20 well spent. I have Bilsteins with Tein "H" springs. After 4 months with this setup I could not get one finger in between the top of the rear tire and the rear fender. Thanks to these spacers I now have a one finger gap.

What sparked the change was to much rear camber and it was starting to effect my rear tires. These spacers and a new alignment did the trick.

FYI: If you go any higher then 1/4" you'll need longer stud for the rear top hats.

http://www.camotoy.com/products/saggybutt/index.php

'07 Forester STI (ECS Performance)..SOLD!

'09 Spec B...Sold!

'11 LGT Limited...Sold!

'17 STI Limited

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have the specs/picture of the stock tophat bolts?

I want to buy the longer ones at autozone before doing the install.

Thanks!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know were to get longer studs?

I need longer top hat studs for my setup now too...anyone have a source AND spec for them?

I'm going to be running SpecB top hats w/ spacer from paranoid fabrications on a bilstein strut.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
McMaster has press-in studs, but not in metric sizes. :(

If you are going to replace your studs, then replace them with English studs and matching nuts while you are at it. Make sure the components are grade 8 for the non-metric pieces.

Other places to check are MSC or Grainger or do a web search if you would like to stay with the metric units. Verify that thread pitch though.

I think more than one person in this thread has stated that anything larger than the 1/4" ones require longer studs. I just saw this thread today and ordered a set of the 1/4" ones - figured for $20 bucks, it would be worth it to have them on hand this weekend. I just came back tonight from setting up the appt. for this Sunday to get a 60k svc done along with installing a set of Bilsteins w/Pinks and a Brembo F&R BBK.

I've got a few questions:

1) Does anybody have a picture of these installed on a wagon? I'm trying to figure out which thickness to go for, and whether I'll need to get new studs.

2) If not replacing studs, is it possible to install these without removing the rear strut completely, by just dropping the strut from the top and squeezing the shim in there? On the Impreza shims, I've seen that some folks have been able to do this.

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Archived