LegacyGT.com

"Saggy Butt Shims"

TRS

I think that this would be the way to go, versus adding an additional spring pad in the mix. Somehow, the thought of two extra "soft" components in the rear suspension, doesn't inspire confidence.

SBT

Yeah, preloading the spring isn't a good thing...

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
seeing what i can do. i think the new STI and wrx use the same tops too. hmmmm

Not sure on this one. Anyone else have any direct experience?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

i heard some 08 STI guys were putting on leg struts on. so i think it works, but don't have conformation. also, hopefully tomorrow i will have a top hat on its way to me for you guys :D

Shane

I'm sorry but I havent shipped these out to you yet Shane! I will get them out first thing next week.

Sorry about the delay...

-Mark

ok, need a tester, one tester, first person to post up will get a free set shipped to your door, i just need you to test fit it and give pics.

http://www.camotoy.com/products/saggybutt/images/IMG_4662.JPG

http://www.camotoy.com/products/saggybutt/images/IMG_4665.JPG

ok, need a tester, one tester, first person to post up will get a free set shipped to your door, i just need you to test fit it and give pics.

http://www.camotoy.com/products/saggybutt/images/IMG_4662.JPG

http://www.camotoy.com/products/saggybutt/images/IMG_4665.JPG

I can test fit them for you!

When would you need them installed?

Well, these appear to be quite thin, not enough to make up for the saggy butt.

Compared to the "extra" spring pad that's true. But that just preloads the spring a bit more to keep the rear from sagging, correct? This adds additional amount of "length" to the overall strut, which would give you the same or better effect without the preload?

SBT

Compared to the "extra" spring pad that's true. But that just preloads the spring a bit more to keep the rear from sagging, correct? This adds additional amount of "length" to the overall strut, which would give you the same or better effect without the preload?

SBT

I know but the increase ride height in rear will be exactly the thickness of the shim, which appears to be like 5 millimeters, if that.

I know but the increase ride height in rear will be exactly the thickness of the shim, which appears to be like 5 millimeters, if that.

How much increase is needed? The side shot of the product looks to be about 5-7 mm (~1/4 - 3/8"). I haven't installed my Bilsteins yet - waiting on the GT-B wagon pinks. You've done several changeouts IIRC, what's working for you "sag-wise"?

Whoever tests these report back quickly. Inquiring minds want to know.;)

SBT

Given what TRS posted here, these spacers look like they'll do the job perfectly. In the linked thread, I asked for pics of 1 and 2 rear spring seats on his Tokico/H-Tech setup.

If that pic is indicative of the "saggy butt", then I'm inclined to let it be. Keep in mind that a lower sitting rear would result in a better weight distribution (assuming the linkage geometry isn't adversely affected). :)

I think that this would be the way to go, versus adding an additional spring pad in the mix. Somehow, the thought of two extra "soft" components in the rear suspension, doesn't inspire confidence.

SBT

My wagon has two donuts per side and I don't recomend it compared to this solution. Setting the handbrake on a slope you can feel a shift front to rear and I suppose other things go on dynamically while driving. My setup is Ion springs with JDM Bilsteins and I think Ion really got the spring length wrong for the wagon. And thats not even considering hauling stuff with it.

My wagon has two donuts per side and I don't recomend it compared to this solution. Setting the handbrake on a slope you can feel a shift front to rear and I suppose other things go on dynamically while driving. My setup is Ion springs with JDM Bilsteins and I think Ion really got the spring length wrong for the wagon. And thats not even considering hauling stuff with it.

I do not like the double spring solution, either (despite running with it now), and I think the shim is a better idea (if thick enough). However, the shocks sre NOT structural elements in the rear suspension, unlike the struts in the front. So I don't think "your shift on the slope" can be attributed to doubled spring seats.

Archived