LegacyGT.com

"Saggy Butt Shims"

TRS

If you are going to replace your studs, then replace them with English studs and matching nuts while you are at it. Make sure the components are grade 8 for the non-metric pieces.

Why use non-metric pieces?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I think I found source for longer metric studs. Will post after I verify fitment. You will laugh when you hear from where they come from.

Any developments on this front? I could use a laugh, and a less saggy butt. :D

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

I left my subby at the shop to have them install the shims and they wouldn't do it over concerns of the shims lacked the capability to keep the top of the strut centered in the shock tower. Any comments from those who have installed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

^+1....same here - based on earlier posts in this thread I assumed that the 1/4" spacers would be fine but soon learned that wasn't the case. The studs are way too short even for the 1/4" ones....only a few of the threads engaged and the guys installing them did not feel comfortable leaving it that way. I didn't compare the lenght of the studs on the OEM KYBs vs. Bilsteins but I'm assumin they are the same.

Too bad, the Bilsteins sat in my garage for a few months before I had them put on along w/Pinks and could have easily had longer studs pressed in :mad:.

I left my subby at the shop to have them install the shims and they wouldn't do it over concerns of the shims lacked the capability to keep the top of the strut centered in the shock tower. Any comments from those who have installed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Anybody?

Alright, the stud that fits..... is...... <drum roll>......... Geo Metro wheel stud!!!!! :lol: Yeah, that shitbox is using 10mm wheel studs. Perfect replacement for our top hat's ones.

Dorman part # 5090B. Can be bought from rockauto.com for $1.50 a piece.

Below pictures comparing it to the stock stud.

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=16443&imageurl=http%3A//info.rockauto.com/RB/610-308-B.jpg

2009-01-11_202459_b__2234.thumb.jpg.a24497042192c1104e30b821a7fdfcc7.jpg

2009-01-11_202538_b__2235.thumb.jpg.8e5fe9f6e8ad4dc954af1ac83b8cd33c.jpg

As to the spacer preventing the top hat getting centered in the shock tower... that's a good question. I don't think there are lateral forces significant enough to be a concern. But I am not really sure and haven't thought about it.

Alright, the stud that fits..... is...... <drum roll>......... Geo Metro wheel stud!!!!! :lol: Yeah, that shitbox is using 10mm wheel studs. Perfect replacement for our top hat's ones.

:lol: - thanks!

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

As to the spacer preventing the top hat getting centered in the shock tower... that's a good question. I don't think there are lateral forces significant enough to be a concern. But I am not really sure and haven't thought about it.

I can't remember, does the rear top hat "seat" in the shock tower or does the shock tower have a lip that centers in the top hat? Either way, I'm sure the saggy but shim could be tooled to add a lip or a cutout to accommodate this centering requirement. I don't think the lateral forces are that great, but adding this bit of engineering would help to keep everything aligned if necessary.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Well, now that I think about it - it should not be an issue. Many coilovers come with flat top hat in the rear, i.e. without that protruding portion that would go into the shock "tower".

Yeah, thanks for the info. I my take it back and just tell them to do it. The saggy but thing has me looking at new springs, but I'm okay with the stock ride height and ride so I'm not crazy about dropping the car 1". I don't really like the dropped look anymore. I'm 36 with kids, and I would like the car to look stock. Even though it's getting less and less stock as the months go by.

Below pictures comparing it to the stock stud.

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=16443&imageurl=http%3A//info.rockauto.com/RB/610-308-B.jpg

Great find!

Do you have a measurement on the difference in length between the Metro stud and the stock stud? i.e. is it sufficient for a 1/2" spacer or only for the 1/4" or 3/8" spacer?

Archived